Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a knife
  • almightydutch
    Free Member

Mrs D’s little brothers 21st birthday coming up and she’s decided to buy him a knife. He’s already got quite a collection ranging from small to large so we’re consulting the STW mind as to what and where to get? We literally have no idea

Budget is £40 and no more

thanks

sandwicheater

Get him a spoon. He can then play knifey spoony.

[video]http://youtu.be/EgUF_J20Bpk[/video]

daftvader
    Free Member

What about just a blade then letting him handle it…. english handmade knives and wood and knife supplies are both really good and have everything needed

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Have a look on Heinnie

Depends on what he does with them, what does he use it for? I’d be looking at Benchmade or Spyderco at that price.

ninfan
    Free Member

Eka Swede 7

all the knife you’ll ever need

almightydutch
    Free Member

Thanks to all, Mrs D took the recommendation of buying a blade and has seen a few she likes for him due to “the pattern on those Damascus ones is nice”

Thankfully her brother will admire the craftsmanship in making the steel itself.

Not chose a blade yet but at least we know what direction we’re going in and if one site is anything to go by we could be here for a while choosing

[img]http://www.english-handmade-knives.co.uk/acatalog/AESkinner-large.gif[/img]

bradley
    Free Member

Damascus knives are very pretty but overpriced IMO. I don’t know about hunting knives or the like but a ‘good’ Japanese carbon steel kitchen knife cost me £60. The equivalent Damascus handmade jobby was 3 times that. They are also hard to look after, need treating with a special oil to stop discolouring etc. I wish I could afford one though!

daftvader
    Free Member

If the damascus is looked after there should be no issues. Renaissance wax is good for this.

peterfile
    Free Member

That dragonglass one the fat crow had in Game of Thrones looked pretty useful if the dead should ever roam the earth again.

No idea where you’d get one this side of the Wall mind you 🙁

ninfan
    Free Member

Proper damascus costs a small fortune, is incredibly tough and keeps its edge

there’s a lot of cheap shite indian and chinese ‘damascus’ blades around recently that isn’t tough and doesn’t hold its edge – often not being sold at cheap prices either

a proper case of caveat emptor, however anything in the £40 bracket is not going to be real work hardened damascus

Stoner
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nojb-gFH4[/video]

£310, bargin! 🙂
    http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/wildlife-knives

daftvader
    Free Member

Those ae Damascus blades are apparently great when its dry but not too good for wet environments (I looked at them and spoke to the chap at English handmade knives before getting a stainless eklund blade) if you look after them with wax/oil then they will last. If it for a collection rather than everyday use it’ll be fine.

metalheart
    Free Member

Great video stoner, I enjoyed that. Not enough to stump up £310 mind!

CountZero

I wouldn’t touch one of those ‘Damascus’ blades for making a usable knife. There are plenty of sources of quality blades made from good carbon steel that will make a really good knife that will last for years. As it happens, Bushcraft Magazine has a really good article this month on getting or making a good knife, written by a highly regarded knife maker. Making your own takes time, but it’s very satisfying when finished. I bought a hand-forged stick-tang blade a year or so ago, and made it up last summer, sitting out in the garden.
    The other option is to get a good UK legal folder, like a Spiderco Squeak, which is a really neat, very handy little knife that can easily be carried in the ticket pocket of a pair of jeans.
    Here’s my little home-made knife, blade from Nik Westermann, handle is stabilised Spalted Beech:

Squeak:

The nice thing about the Squeak is the way it’s been designed to stop the blade from closing up on your fingers in use, without actually having a lock function:

Tonolina
    Free Member

Another Spyderco Squeak owner here. Lovely sturdy UK legal knife. Seemed expensive at the time, but have never regretted buying it.

crankboy
    Free Member

In deference to the other thread a bollock dagger.

chewkw
    Free Member

I bet he does not have proper a Japanese knife so perhaps he can start looking at my trusted supplier below.

Japanese Chefs Knife

🙂

ps: Then learn to cook with those knives.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got one of these for general use….

Shroom & knife 003 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

Had it since July, used it ‘quite often’, never sharpened or honed & It’s still bloody sharp.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Anyone know or got a link to where it can buy the spyderco squeak?

daftvader
    Free Member
    keefmac

i would agree with aphex_2k
    heinie haynes have a very good selection.
    mrs km got me one of these earlier in the year
    linky
    sharp as **** but very well made and come sit a nice presentation tin. actually made by Boker so good quality.

CountZero

These people do a huge range of Spyderco knives, including the Squeak:
    http://www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P4102.html

ontor
    Free Member
    Basil

My EDC choice for years has been the CRKT PECK.
    Very sharp, and excels at everything it should be used for.
    Oh and if you reverse it it works as a bottle opener!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a knife’ is closed to new replies.