Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a keyboard (help me procrastinate)
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m after a new computer keyboard. Price not really an issue but as always, cheaper is preferable!

I want a short keystroke as I type noticeably faster with laptop-esque keyboards as opposed to either mechanical keyboards or gaming rubber-domed keyboards.

Needs to be extended ie. numerical pad and various keys like pipe, forward slash, approximate symbol.

Wireless would be handy.

I was tempted by a split keyboard with the keys split into two secitons; one per hand. Not great for me as although I can type quickly and without needing to look at the keyboard, I only type with my index and middle fingers and thumbs.

Any suggestions?

I’m not too happy with Apple products as they don’t seem to last long. The hinges on the keys seem to last warranty plus a day or two!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve been using the microsoft stuff for a while now, solid and nice to use. there are a good range of styles which is good some split and others just shaped for use.

JoeG
    Free Member

I like this one.

oldnpastit

I’m using a Filco Tenkeyless keyboard, like this one:

They also come with a keypad if you need that.

Mechanical keyboards are just way nicer than any of the non-mechanical ones I’ve ever used (although a few are quite good).

The one at home has Cherry brown keys, the one at work has blue keys. I think I actually prefer the feel of the brown keys (and they’re quieter).

There’s someone at work with an old-skool IBM buckling spring keyboard. Don’t believe the hype, they’re not as nice. Way too loud.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts but I’ll be more specific.

I want a short keystroke (so not mechanical – as far as I know and I’ve tried a couple in shops).

Needs to be extended.

Wireless would be best.

Split keyboards probably aren’t idea because of my typing style (or lack of).

Other than ignoring my criteria, some excellent replies 🙂

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one on almost exactly the same criteria. It was about $14 from Officeworks so doesn’t matter if it doesn’t really last. It’s got spaces between the keys too which I find helps to reduce fat fingering.

It’s this, I’m sure you’ll be able to get it somewhere in the UK under a different name

mrsfry
    Free Member

growinglad
    Free Member

Logitech K800

I really liked mine until I poured a cup of coffee over it, now it doesn’t work….but it does smell quite nice.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We’ve never had apple keyboards fail, in fact collected quite a stash in our old jobs where we got new computers regularly. Shame you didn’t ask earlier, I’d have happily given you a couple. What do you do to break them?

cranberry
    Free Member

Other than ignoring my criteria, some excellent replies

There is but one keyboard – the Mighty IBM PS/2 – all mechanical, with an action like an old-fashioned typewriter. That you don’t know that you want one of these and insist on something that you’ll like instead is not our problem 🙂

Have a look at Cherry or Logitech, both should be relatively cheap for a non-mech keyboard.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Now I’ve learnt the phrase ‘chiclet’ I’ve had much more success with my searching.

“Shame you didn’t ask earlier, I’d have happily given you a couple. What do you do to break them?” Yep. A pity as I’ve liked mine (both of them). The odd thump / bang when they don’t do what they’re told but on the whole, nothing much. In general, I’m a pretty ham-firsted person though. My Razer Lycosa is still going strong (7 years maybe) as are mice though.

Nothing suitable there Mikew.

Tempted by

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-deathstalker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-JK-0300GB-Strait-Keyboard/dp/B00303FRKM

Problem is, neither are wireless. Looks like wired and a USB extension cable is the way forwards.

cranberry
    Free Member

Wireless keyboards are IMHO a solution looking for a problem.

Be aware that gaming keyboards can be hard to type on – mine is optimised to be super-sensitive to key presses and then very fast in repeating the key press – the slightest touch of a key fires off somewhere betweeen 1 – many signals. Fine for blasting Alien scum, less so for Typppppping.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

yep Cranberyyyyyyyyyyy. 🙂

I have a Lycosa for gaming (not that I have time for that anymore – still haven’t got around to unwrapping Assassins Creed) and until a week or so ago, a wired Apple extended keyboard for work.

It’s not so much the repeated key presses I don’t like with the Razer so much as the mis-spellings from my fat ‘sausage-fingers’ and longer keystroke slowing down my typing.

What do you mean by a solution looking for a problem? I have an L shaped desk with 4 monitors. 2 largest in the ‘corner’ of the L and smaller on each side. Depending on which side of the desk I’m using, it’s handy to move the keyboard. It’s nice to be able to get rid of it completely when I’m working with paper / books etc too without standing up and making sure the wire doesn’t knock things off.

Cougar

There is but one keyboard – the Mighty IBM PS/2

That’s a “Model M” you’re thinking of.

cranberry
    Free Member

I know what model it is – I went to the 21st birthday party of mine last august.

toby1

The Microsoft scuplt both looks and feels nice 🙂

slowoldman

A keyboard called a Razer Deathstalker? WTF?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a keyboard (help me procrastinate)’ is closed to new replies.