Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • recommend me a jigsaw for DIY use
  • jairaj

I bought a van recently to convert into a campervan so need to buy some power tools to help make that happen. I have an OKish drill that I’ll continue to use for now. The other power tool I think I’ll really need is a jigsaw. I don’t know much about power tools so looking for some advice.

The jigsaw will only be used for the occasional bit of DIY work apart from the campervan project. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty and doing small jobs but anything large and I’d prefer to get a pro who knows what they are doing. The campervan is by far the largest building project I have ever done.

I had a quick look in the DIY stores and I think I’d like to spend around £50. Products in this price point seemed better built than the cheaper ones and had a few extra features like more powerfull motor or pendulum action. I used a borrowed jigsaw for the first time 2 years ago laying laminate flooring and haven’t needed one since so I’m a little reluctant to spend lots.

I quite like the look of a Bosch PST800 or the Ryobi RJS750 which are available for around £50.

A friend of mine is pushing me to spend a bit more on a Makita 4329 which is around £70. Which is a little bit above budget but he thinks is better value as the quality will be much better. He says entry level Pro tools (Makita) are better than top of the range DIY tools (Bosch PST / Ryobi).

Any views from the STW crew much appreciated, thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a good Makita and a cheap Bosch. The Makita is certainly better especially on thicker wood. Tends to keep the blade vertical so the cut stays straighter. Much better fine control as well if doing something delicate. For trimming and shaping the odd bit of 9mm ply the Bosch will be fine. If that is enough then £40 on that will do the job and it’ll last you. If you have aspirations for some more technical work then you won’t regret buying the Makita.

maccruiskeen

a few extra features like more powerfull motor or pendulum action.

Pendulum is an extra worth paying for – better for making straight cuts and the blades last longer used that way too. Out and out power is less important if you’re not cutting thick materials. One thing that can make a difference the base plate – better tools have a thick cast plate, cheaper ones have one pressed out of sheet metal – the two sections that project forward of the blade can tend to bend on the cheaper pressed metal bases and allow the saw to rock forward as you’re cutting.

Hobster
    Free Member

Have the Makita you mentioned and for the money (paid about £60) I am impressed although can’t compare it directly with the ones you mention.

Solidly built and stays on line reasonably well. The pendulum settings work well and make a noticeable difference. Thickest I’ve cut is 45mm hardwood and whilst not ideal it did the job.

jairaj

Thanks guys, I think I might end up going for the Makita. It should hopefully last ages so an extra £20 on the budget doesn’t sound too bad.

I was just a bit worried that most Makita stuff seems to be a lot more expensive and this was some low end rubbish they were trying to flog.

I’ve only seen it online, I’ll try see one in the flesh to compare it with the Bosch.

avdave2

I’d start with something simple like this

Now it may look a little basic but it’s a a little more advanced than you may think at first glance, note the lack of any corners or straight edges.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Why do you “think” you need a jigsaw? What do you “think” you’ll use it for?

Do you have a specific job in mind or as you already have a drill you’re just thinking you need an electric saw?

A decent handsaw or a circular saw could be a better option if just planning on straight cuts in wood.

jairaj

There are a few curves I need to cut. Eg the ply covering the doors will have rounded corners if I want to match the door profile. The ply around the wheel arches will need a curve cutting out of it. Cutting holes in the worktop for the sink and hobs to fit into. Might have a go at fitting the extra windows so need to cut rectangle with rounded corners out of the metal body.

I think I need a jigsaw for those jobs. Is there a better or alternative tool I could use?

nickjb
    Free Member

Jigsaw is the best tool for panels and the like for vans. There are better tools for various individual tasks but a jigsaw is a good all round tool for diy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a jigsaw for DIY use’ is closed to new replies.