Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a hydration pack
  • thefallguy
    Free Member

Currently got a Mule, and a Dakine Apex but I'm looking for something smaller/lighter for 2 – 3 hr winter night rides. It needs to carry pump, tool, tube, few spares, keys and ideally a separate pocket for my phone.

Any suggestions? I thinking Camelbak Lobo but is it noticeably smaller than a Mule?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I went from a Mule to a Wingnut Hyper 3. It is so much better. The pack itself is very light and sits in a much less noticeable / more stable way on my back. Has more capacity than the mule too, but when empty compresses down nice and small. The side pockets are the best bit though – being able to reach stuff without taking the bag off is brilliant.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

oops double post!

Wozza
    Free Member

I've got a Lobo and it'd be full to the brim holding what you describe. I pretty much use it without the bladder to hold my lock on the 5min ride to the gym.

soobalias
    Free Member

look at the high sierra – gator.

similar size to the lobo but much more useable space.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Lezyne smart pack for £30 at merlin fits the bill

Jamie
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad. As a current Dakine user you know it makes sense!

RudiBoy
    Free Member

have a look a the fox ones on stiff- stealth black, nice

mavisto
    Free Member

If you want a basic cheap one, try the Decathlon one.

CLICKY

For £13 you get a bladder that is worth £8 plus the ruck sack. Bite valve works well too.

You also get the 2litre bladder not the 1 litre as advertised. Well I did anyway.

My GF has a Gelert one. CLICKY 2

Better bag but the bladder isn't as good.

theotherjonv

Larger Tesco superstores have a perfectly acceptable one for about £8

theotherjonv

LOL – just looked at the Decathlon one, linked through to their kids version and saw this disclaimer

Restricted use do not use with fizzy drinks, milk or alcohol.

Kids, bikes and alcohol. What could possibly be wrong with that?

thefallguy
    Free Member

Kids, bikes and alcohol. What could possibly be wrong with that?

sounds fab, why weren't they around when I was a kid? 😀

mavisto
    Free Member

It shouldn't have linked through to the kids one. Should be to the Rockrider Black/Yellow one.

They have others that are bigger and more expensive, but as I only carry a spare inner tube or two, a multi tool, my phone and my keys I didn't need anything bigger.

I have a nice Deuter one if I need to carry more.

verses

I have the Lobo and am forever wishing I'd gone for something a little larger. I usually carry;
    – Pump
    – Multi-tool
    – Inner tube
    – Puncture kit
    – Phone
    – Keys
    – Loose Change
    – Cable Ties
    – Cereal bar

Which is all well and good, but there's no room for stowing an extra layer (I can just about cram a flimsy gilet in there), waterproof or a map.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I have the Lobo and am forever wishing I'd gone for something a little larger

I've got the Mule which is fine for days out when you only need a couple of snacks and room for an extra layer, but I think I could run a bit lighter on my evening rides when I'm only out for 2 hours or so

Northwind

I've got a Camelback Chaos, which is a 2l reservoir and spacious enough for all your stuff (it's actually a bit bigger but has good compression straps so if you want it to be small, it's small). It's not really much smaller than my Mule but it feels a lot smaller, and stays where it's put better- the Mule only really seems to work well when it's rammed full of stuff.

verses

Well, other than the lack of space, I've been pleased with the Lobo. It's pretty tough and comfortable, although I have to say, I like the sound of the Wingnut range mentioned above.

My other bag is a Vaude Splash 20+5 (I guess similar size to your Dakine) which is a bit big for most rides. I think I need something mid-sized, like the Mule, to fill the gap. Although I think swapping out the Lobo for something mid-sized that compresses down, like the Wingnut, would be my ideal option.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

+1 Camelbak Chaos. Cyclesense.co.uk do them nice and cheap, too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a hydration pack’ is closed to new replies.