• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nibby.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • recommend me a ht for lakes type of riding
  • nibby
    Free Member

What would people recommend for a hard tail to tackle some of the natural hard stuff in the lakes and Scotland? I’ve recently sold a FS because it wasn’t getting used and I’m getting the itch again but thinking of a HT to keep the cost down etc. But I need one that will be able to handle the rough stuff very well. Maybe even just a frame and build it up from there.

I was thinking of maybe Nukeproof scout with 140/150 suspension, or Whyte or maybe Transition which I’ve heard decent things about. Really want the bike to handle well and be a good all rounder. I don’t ride TC stuff just natural and the harder the better.

Any recommendations appreciated.
    Cheers

AlexSimon

Bird Zero TR is on my shortlist.

breadcrumb

I ride a 456 evo II in the lakes, it’s my capabilities that let it down rather than the other way.

deviant
    Free Member

Ragley anything.

tomaso
    Free Member

Whyte 90 and the next numeric at whatever price you can afford. There is a large 909 in the classifieds cheapish.

Bird Zero serves a mate well for big tech tough rides.

I read in a ‘magazine’ that the Nukeproof is quite harsh.

Leftfield choice would be a BTR frame with stupidly Slack angles and steel.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’m over the moon with my new Production Shan.

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh and a Commencal Rammones

1timmy1
    Free Member

When I was looking for a HT the Whyte 901 and Bird Zero were on my shortlist along with a Vitus and Commencal.

tomaso
    Free Member

Trek Stache can be picked up secondhand for £600 and is a great bike

scotroutes

Them new Ragleys?

nibby
    Free Member

Cracking, thanks everyone, gives me loads to go from. I thought that selling the FS because I wasn’t riding it I could maybe use the crosser for some easy off road riding!! That went out of the window as soon as I saw those hills!!! Now just need to keep the price down to keep the boss happy!!

I like the look of those Shan’s, any Uk stockists? Also the Bird Zero and the Whyte I keep looking at. I think I might have to narrow it down to those or I will go mad 🙂

thanks again, great help.

NormalMan

Solaris (29er/b+ option)

iainc

Soul 27.5 with 120mm and a reverb.

badlydrawnchalk
    Free Member

I’d go for a Bfe 275, a switchback or a Transam!

colournoise

Kunstler

Another 456 evo 2 (steel) rider here. It does munros, bike packing and big day challenges. It could be lighter and I had considered the carbon version but the money was spent on getting to the good riding instead.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cotic Bfe worked well for me…

davewalsh
    Free Member

I saw the title of this thread and immediately thought Ragley Blue Pig. Here’s my old one, best bike I’ve ever had.

mcnultycop

Where is that Scott McA? Looks ace.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That was in the duddon valley, heading across to walna scar. This was a couple of miles descent and really good fun. Finished up in seathwaite.

Followed a route off the pedalnorth website. Highly recommend it. Drop me a mail if you want some GPS routes – I did a few in my summer holiday up there.

nibby
    Free Member

FFS!! Now I’ve added the new Blue Pig and the BFE to the list!! This could get difficult although I think a test ride on the Cotic and Ragley could be easy with a few local dealers so might try both back to back and decide.

All will be more than capable. I will be the weakest link. But I need all the help I can get so testing should be fun 🙂

Right then list closed, please don’t mention any other makes 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I hate to be a contrary Mary but if I was in your position I’d get a secondhand full sus bike.

I do know some guys ride in the lakes on hardtails but I’ve always found out a bit frustrating.

What’s your budget anyway?

thomthumb
    Free Member

this looks very interesting

mcnultycop

Cheers Scott. I’ll do some googling of routes.

billyboy
    Free Member

mcnultycop…..it’s called The Park Head Road, and if you ride all of it down to Seathwaite, you will be doing well. You can ride it straight over from Stephenson Ground, or you can loop on the contours from Stephenson Ground above Jackson Ground and Carter Ground round to Hoses and then pick it up at the top. All good riding.

And….. On One Parkwoods handle the Lakes and the Highlands pretty well. They can take a big tyre and you don’t need to spend too much to build a reasonably light bike.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The carbon 456 is the one you want. You get a bit more control with a full sus, but the 456 will plough through most stuff without trying to kill you too badly.

I stripped mine to build up a Spitfire a few days ago, but got stuffed by not being able to get the headset swapped over, so rode the 456C off the top of Old Man of Coniston. was expecting it to choke on all the rock and be a bit slow, but it amazed me with it’s ability.

nibby
    Free Member

Ended up getting the Bird Zero – hoping to have it for the weekend. Felt right, good spec and a great price (last years model) tested at Setchfield in Wrexham, great advice, help and same from Bird.

Hopefully the bike will be just as good.

Pics to follow.
    Cheers

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a ht for lakes type of riding’ is closed to new replies.