Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a hotel in Oxford
  • Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

The wife and I are looking at spending a weekend in Oxford in June. Can someone recommend me a decent hotel or guest house within walking distance of Oxford city centre and preferably that has car parking. Cost upto £150 a night with breakfast but don’t mind spending less 😉

Thanks…

yossarian
    Free Member

Spend a bit more and stay at the Randolph

atparry

You could try
    http://www.malmaison-oxford.com/
    This is th old gaol, and the rooms are converted cells – not that small!. Its in the centre of Oxford – parking possible but perhaps use the park and ride.

Eastgate Hotel – have stayed there. Quite nice and fairly central.

Old parsonnage – very twee central.

Parking is the bad thing about Oxford. And dont be fooled into thinking there wont be any parking attendants around into the evening. They work until 10pm.

Enjoy yourselves – go see the shrunken heads at the Pit Rivers Museum – its free as is the Ashmoleum

ourmaninthenorth

Randoplh. Old school charm.

Or the Malmaison in the old gaol.

jca

The Buttery is reasonably basic but comes in at £100-125 including breakfast, and is right in the middle of town – good for a short break.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Old Bank is central and nice. Possibly a little pricey.

Central Location & Parking is not going to happen in Oxford. I imagine that the Randolph will sting you for £25+ a night for parking.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas. Like the look of the Randolph but it’s full the weekend we want to go. Have looked into the Malmaison, certainly different been an old prison. Might be worth the extra money for the novelty factor of sleeping in a cell!

yossarian
    Free Member

The Old Bank is central and nice. Possibly a little pricey.

the last time i stayed there it was around £200 a night.

company credit card 🙂

davetrave
    Free Member

Hawkwell House is nice, stayed there with the missus. It’s in Iffley, on the edge of the city and right by the Thames, about 10 minute walk along the river in to town (past a good riverside pub for a refreshment break midway…). Plenty of parking, nice quiet gardens and setting to sit and drink Pimms and we had a decent sized room in the annex.

dr_death
    Free Member

We stayed at the Mal a year or so back and it was really nice. If you go on their website and sign up to the newsletters you can usually pick up a deal…. I think we payed £100 for B&B as long as you had dinner in the restaurant (which was very nice) and spent over £50, making it about 165 squids for dinner bed and breakfast once all totted up.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you go to Malmaison they have parking under the hotel for guests (I believe). What ever you do DO NOT STAY AT NANFORDS GUEST HOUSE .. .google it!
    There is the Four Pillars in Abingdon Road, they have parking and it’s a 10 minute walk into the centre of town. I thought it was lovely when I went, I guess it just depends how posh you want to go.
    Haven’t looked at any of the prices so you’ll have to do that bit, just places I know are in good locations with parking and I may have visited.

here is quite nice:
    http://www.parklandsoxford.co.uk/

Or here:

Home

jhw
    Free Member

There’s a very good one north of the City centre (same price range as the Randolph, which when I was there in ’06 was a bit run down), head up the road from St Giles up past St Anne’s college toward Summertown, it’s located right where the road splits I believe. A posh old stately home. Wonderful room for lunch/dinner. Slightly out of town, but one of the two classic hotels in Oxford, along with the Randolph.

EDIT – the Old Parsonage is its name

There’s one right in the centre called “Bath Place” I think, right by the Turf, near New College, it’s very small, pokey and expensive, might be alright, look at Tripadvisor and take a view.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – I’ve been looking this morning and the Four Pillars hotel looks quite good, walking distance to Oxford city centre and with parking, prices not too bad when everything taken into consideration.

Will check out those website links thankyou.

corroded
    Free Member

I would call the Four Pillars more of a schlepp from the centre than a walk. There’s a hotel on the north side of town that has parking:
    http://www.cotswoldlodgehotel.co.uk/
    Passed it every day for three years, never been in – but it looks OK. Also you’re closer to some good restaurants in Jericho, by far the most pleasant area (and the Parks – cricket on in the summer).

nerocellen
    Free Member

Lived in Oxford for ten years

Wouldn’t recommend the randolph as it’s past it’s best for the money these days.

Four pillars is nice and not far from centre of town – say a mile or so

Old Parsonage is lovely but punchy

Malmaison is cool but not to everyone’s taste – very central with some ok bars around it in the new development.

My top tip? Stay at one of the college’s – it’s the vacation and lots of them rent out rooms. Double with en suite inc brekkie is £110 – it’s not going to be anywhere near as plush as a fancy hotel but a really unique place to stay which you will remember:

http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/conferences/b-b-booking

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Corroded; The Four Pillars is 0.9 miles from the City Centre, I would call that central.
    The Old Parsonage would be nice but never stayed there, I would stay away from Bath Place I imagine it’s a pokey B&B now.

I would stay away from the colleges, they use the reasons that Neocellen uses but they are like staying in student accommodation for £110 I’d rather pay an extra £60 and stay somewhere “nice” IMO.

steve-g
    Free Member

an hotel

corroded
    Free Member

So it is – thought it was further out down by the ring road. A good bet then, though I’d still prefer to stay and go out in North Oxford.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Mr_Mojo – use my friends place, ‘The Remont’, very nice contemporary place. For such a visitor centric place there’s a dire shortage of good quality, modern places to stay in Oxford unfortunately but you have yourself a good one with the Remont! 🙂

Don’t even think of the Randolph – tacky, colonialist cr*p…

Here you go: http://www.remont-oxford.co.uk/

Currently 4th best in Oxford according to Trip Advisor so hope that’s reassuring.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That Remont looks ace and is very well located for Oxford. Summertown is nice too and it will be a 15 minute walk into the centre of town but less to Jericho which is the slightly cooler funkier area.

Ignore the 2 deluded people’s positive reports but this makes me laugh everytime!
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186361-d193762-Reviews-Nanford_Guest_House-Oxford_Oxfordshire_England.html

I think it was in the top 10 of worst B&B’s in the country at one point. Oh and put it this way in my profession we are there REGULARLY.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a hotel in Oxford’ is closed to new replies.