Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me a Home DIY drill
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Please Recommend me a Home DIY use cordless drill+screwdriver. My 2 yrs old argos drill can only turn 5 screw and goes dead from full charge at the moment (found out while im doing shelvings in the loft) 😐

..do i really need a lithium ion battery for my next powerdrill? Thinking of just shelling out around £50 ish ..Cheers.

ski
    Free Member

nickjb
    Free Member

Double your budget and pick up a LIon makita/Hitachi/Bosch-blue from screwfix. You’ll get a good bit of kit that will last you.

piemonster

Depends on how your using it. I use mine for household jobs and in the garage, never that far from a plug. So I have a corded drill.

Cheaper, and more powerful than any cordless for the same money. £45 btw, just a plain old Black and Decker that was on sale.

piemonster

I also have that Bosch jobby pictured up there. It’s been alright, wouldn’t want to use it as a drill. But for light screwdriver jobs in awkward places pretty handy.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Im thinking of getting this.. But cant find much review

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erc390ddh-12v-2ah-ni-cd-cordless-drill-driver/90122

..i think i might need more capacity than that bosch photo above.

divenwob
    Free Member

+1 Makita 18v 8)

teasel
    Free Member

That bit of bling that Ski posted-up is exactly the type of kit I’d expect the average STWer to own.

$470, no less…

teasel
    Free Member
    robbieh
    Free Member

get a Makita Li-on 18V. My Bosch didn’t last long doing very little work.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Makita li-ion 18v. Shop around, some great deals. Yes more than you budget but for quality and ease of use it’s another world.

john_drummer
    Free Member

for heavy duty hammer-drilling I use my B&D corded drill that I’ve had since 1990.

my KcKellar 18V cordless is good as a screwdriver and ok for drilling wood. not much use for masonry though.

piemonster

That bit of bling that Ski posted-up is exactly the type of kit I’d expect the average STWer to own.

$470, no less…

😆 I actually didn’t notice the bling element

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Change my mind now.. I think this one fits the bill

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=091284

..i need to buy a raceface narrow wide chainring hence the budget 😐

divenwob
    Free Member

Cool just look after the batteries.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

This is final now..

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/draper-expert-18v-cordless-combi-hammer-drill-2-batteries/182066/

Gonna buy it though topcashback and its got £5 off as well. Cheers to those who reply 🙂

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Li ion makita ive got the 6pce kit for work (trades) every man and his dog on site has em for a reason!! Check screwfix or bnq you can get a combi drill and one batt and a 100pce bit kit for under 100quid 1 batt is suffice for home use as they take 22mins to charge.

igm

Mikita are now doing two 18V Li-ion ranges – the LXT (which comes in several varieties and is the one you want) an a cheaper one.

The LXT comes in various models with differing torques, speeds etc, but is of a pretty good standard. And the batteries/chargers are standard across the range.

The cheaper range which I’ve seen in B&Q is not compatible with the LXT battery and has a cheaper gear box on it (possibly even some non-metal parts in there)

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

For his diy needs would be fine. A lxt combi or impacter or kit would be overkill and over budget for home use surley?

granny_ring

Thinking of selling my BOSCH hardly used it.
    Comes with 2 batteries & charger.
    £50 posted if you’re interested.

granny_ring

Just seen what you’re going to buy…….rather you than me!

igm

I’ve got an LXT combi and matching impact driver for DIY use, bigphil, and I reckon it’s spot on. You’ll be telling me next I don’t need 10 inches of full suss for canal towpaths.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

If the op just wants diy stuff then thats perfectly fine imo.

A 275 quid kit for combi and impacter is a bit ott but then again I have 155mm travel foe my pub steed : )

teasel
    Free Member

Just seen what you’re going to buy…….rather you than me!

Agreed.

OP, if you’re going to stretch that far over your budget, [Andy Dufresne] maybe you’re willing to come a little further… [/Andy Dufresne]

an extra £12 HERE and it’ll be more than enough for most home DIY jobs. That’s if you haven’t already hit BUY yet. . .

andrewh
    Free Member

Tried a few cordless ones of various makes and never found one which was any good.
    My father had a Black & Decker 400W drill which died this summer while I was using it, found a date stamp on it of 1980! It’s older than me. Just.
    Anyway, I replaced it with an 800W JCB for about £90 from B&Q, noticabely better.
    Unless you really must have cordless, don’t

loum
    Free Member

Weighing up my options to get one myself too.
    All the reviews say makita are generally best a the moment, I guess for good reason. But thats mainly their lxt li ion ones that are getting praised. Would be easy chioce if making my living with it but I’m not sure my home diy use warrants the investment.
    Which gave this one as Best Value at £100 with two batteries. The current deal at £60 with one looks like what I’ll go for. Can always get another later, or more likely another single battery tool and interchange as needed.
    Seems like it’s got good spec for the price – 18v, li ion quick charge, 13mm chuck, metal gears, interchanchable battery system, cheap-ish.

Would be interested if anyone has good or bad experience with ryobi.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/Ryobi-OnePlus-18V-Hammer-Drill-and-1-x-1-3Ah-Battery-and-Charger-no-bag-13168696

nickjb
    Free Member

That ryobi looks ok. They are generally considered one of the better DIY brands and I know a few pros who use ryobi.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ryobi ok better than most bnq stuff but not ad good as bosch or makita/dewalt etc will be compatible with the range of one+ stuff I presume. Mate of mine had full ryobi ni cad set he onlh just got rid after 8 years of service and upgraded to a 10pce makita lxt kit

robdob
    Free Member

Right – my real world advice!

The Worx stuff is very good for DIY. I used to work for Homebase and have tried loads of them. I don’t think they had quite the fine control of a Bosch DIY drill but the build quality was as good. You generally get 2 batteries which you don’t normally with Bosch. I think the Worx one would be better than a B+D one easily.

For all those folk telling him to spend loads on Makita etc, did you not notice the £50 budget requirement?

I used to advise people if they came in with a £100ish budget to buy a decent quality 12v cordless for screw driving tasks (I used a 12v Bosch for years and it never lacked power go screwdriving) and maybe £20-30 on a basic corded drill for drilling into brickwork. That would certainly be better than a £100 cordless only, which especially round here in W Yorks wouldn’t cope with drilling into stone.

Budget some money for quality drill bits and screwdriver bits too – I’d rather use high quality bits in a cheaper drill than the other way round every time.

The Bosch 12v one I had died last year (cost £50) and I bought a li-ion Bosch 18v cordless for £100, 3 day only offer from B and Q which I snapped up (2 batteries too!). Well worth the money as at the time you couldn’t buy them online for less that £140 with only 1 battery.

robdob
    Free Member

.. and I would say if you can only afford Ni-Cad then stick with 12-14.4v as the 18v ones are very heavy – you don’t really need 18v for screwdriving duties and you’d be better investing in some quality screwdriving bits instead as they will be much nicer to use and last for decades if looked after.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

But what about the fact the cheap “it will do” when he comes to do something hevier the drill wouldent be up to the job and the budget jumped up to 65 with the clarke drill even a 18v dewalt with 2 batts is worth 75 when its on offer.

Plus who dosent like s shiny new man tool !!!!

loum
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice nick and Blackpool Phil. I’m going to go for the 18 v ryobi one+ cos it’s not a work tool so should be plenty good enough. Good to hear that your mate’s lasted a decent time. Cheers

maccruiskeen

Double your budget and pick up a LIon makita/Hitachi/Bosch-blue from screwfix. You’ll get a good bit of kit that will last you.

Cordless tools die if you don’t use them a lot, thats no less true of Li Ion than anything else. Upping your budget to trade quality tools just means you’ll pick up a more expensive paper weight in two years time.

stumpy01

For home DIY, why not just get a corded drill espscially if the budget is tight.

I can understand splashing the cash if your job requires you to use the tool all day and I can then see the advantages of having something cordless.
    But, if it’s buying a cheap drill for the odd job around the house, then I would have thought a corded drill would be the better choice. A lot of the budget must be going on just the battery with a cordless drill and if it’s not used/recharged very often how long will the battery last?

I bought a new screwdriver set from B&Q last week for £20 and considered getting a Ryobi cordless screwdriver they had on offer for £25 instead. But, given how often I would use it, the chances are that it won’t be charged when i want to use it and the battery will be knackered in not time at all from being left sat in the shed.

As for Makita…I recently bought an SDS drill from Screwfix and chose Makita based on it’s use ‘in the trade’ and it seems to be one of those names that crops up a lot when people recommend tools.
    It spat all it’s gearbox oil out over the course of a couple of weekends work and so it went back to the shop. I replaced it with a Bosch. It probably was a one off, but I was a little disappointed.

loum
    Free Member

Cordless makes sense cos the first three jobs I’ve got lined up are in the garage and the garden. Thu, a corded drill brings more problems than solutions for what I want to do. More hassle than it’s worth for me.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Just choose whatever is correct pal ryobi more than good enough for what you need and that bit extra too.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks all for the reply.. Lots of good info and recommendation.. Decided to grab granny_ring offer instead , seems very good value than those links i’ve chosen 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Phew! That little guy in my head that normally comes out when the OH is looking to buy something against what I think started banging in my head when I saw the draper one!

I have the green (domestic) version of the Bosch that granny ring is selling. Picked it up about 4 years ago for £50 on sale at B&Q and it is has been fantastic. Yes now I would spend £100-150 on a makita or bosch blue Li-ion but for £50 that that little bosch has been fantastic. I’ve not taken it easy on it and only now at the end of a lot of use has the chuck started to slip when you first drill/screw after a bit change. Tighten it up once and it is fine. i suspect it’s just some dirt in there as it’s been going through all sorts and with a decent drill bit it can go easily do most jobs.

I have a corded SDS for big jobs and a cordless for little ones. I have no use for a corded smaller drill except for wire brushing but my angle grinder had taken over from that now.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Home DIY drill’ is closed to new replies.