Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a high volume 20" tyre for a trailer
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a pair of high volume 20″ tyres to put on a trailer for off road use?

I’m guessing for a trailer grip isn’t overly important so won’t matter if I go for something like a Schwalbe Big Apple?

hatter

We have Schwalbe tracers on there at the moment which seem to work well, I’d stick with slickish for rolling resistance grip doesn’t seem to be that much of an issue, only slid it sideways a few times in loose conditions and the wee man found it hilarious!

Tempted by some of the lighter BMX freestyle tyres, KHE do a 2.4″ folding slick which could interesting. If the schwalbe’s go then that’s where I’ll be looking.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Looking at exactly the same thing for the Croozer – only issue is trailer handbrake clearance but I don’t use it so could take the ‘shoes’ off, or could make a new arm.

These look good/cheap:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/eastern-throttle-bmx-tyre/rp-prod128931

Something like that, a modern BMX tyre in 2.3″ or 2.4″ should give the wee person a lot more comfort over the 1.75″ on there. Ghetto tubeless too? 😉

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Funnily enough I want them for a Croozer too… hadn’t thought about the handbrake but I’m sure I can work around that.

16″ tubes should work for ghetto although quite happy to start on higher volume tyres with tubes at a low pressure

jameso

BMX freestyle tyres

Was going to to say that, some of them are huge now.

I’m guessing for a trailer grip isn’t overly important

Depends if you ride like hatter sometimes does with a trailer on : )

wurzelcube
    Free Member

BMX tyres… why didn’t I think of that?!

I’ve just checked the handbrake – guessing that you have a different model Gravity as I don’t have shoes and the lever is well out of the way.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Halfords have 2.2 Maxxis Holy Rollers for £14 each; that should do the job.

hatter

Depends if you ride like hatter sometimes does with a trailer on : )

Leave it out, I still get stick for that incident.

Bad Dad!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I had ours on one wheel popping down a cheeky DH – bit optimistic 🙂

You can see the handbrake we have (I used the word ‘shoes’ loosly, maybe arms is better?) in the image below sticking out above the reflectors – clearance is probably OK but I doubt it could be applied with a big volume tyre on, but the arms are removable.

jonathan
    Free Member

I used Felt Slip-nots in 2.25 I think – they’re big and fat and tough and roll very well. Not sure these are available any more, but they’re a similar tread to Holy Rollers. As said, any fat freestyle tyre (the lighter the better) will be good.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

My handbrake is different to that, it has a lever in a similar place but has cable operated pins that push into the wheel back plates (similar to a pram brake)

I’ve gone for a pair of 2.4 Odyssey BMX tyres and will hopefully be able to run them at a low pressure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a high volume 20" tyre for a trailer’ is closed to new replies.