Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a helmet front light for commuting
  • brooess
    Free Member

One I can use to look at drivers to make sure they see me.

Last year in winter I had a 3 LED Cateye thing on the top of my helmet which def made drivers notice me. I took it off because the strap wouldn’t hold it on properly.

But in 2 rides I’ve had 3 drivers pull out on me – despite an Exposure Joystick + Flash on the bars… I think I need one I can shine directly at people.

Can’t see anything on Wiggle or CRC which would obviously mount securely on a helmet. Any recommendations? Prefer rechargeable batteries

Dibbs
    Free Member

Light & Motion Vis 360+ does the job for me. 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

One I can use to look at drivers to make sure they see me.

**** with a drivers night vision! great idea!!

Drivers are ****s and not a great deal you can do except make sure you are aware of what is going on. Lots of reflectives, lots of flashing lights, you don’t need anything that bright.

johnnystorm

£4 for a velcro helmet mount torch holder and whichever £10 chinese torch has an epileptic fit inducing flashing mode.

If you like exposure get another one with a helmet mount to do the same thing.

For something in-between have a look on ebay for Torchy the battery boy. 🙂

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I bought one of these from CR when they had black ones for ~£7. It is small and light. The light has some side visibility too. Adequate for a helmet mounted flashing light (using a velcro helmet torch mount I already had).

mrmo
    Free Member

tonyd

Why not just use your Joystick with a helmet mount? I commuted all last winter with a helmet mounted joystick and a flash on the bars without any issues at all. Unfortunately I think one of the kids has put my joystick somewhere safe as I’ve been unable to find it for months!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

given you want a bright light to be seen, but not necessarily to light your way, how about something small like an Alpkit Gamma?

DSCN0593 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

Has additional red light on the battery compartment and useful for overnight audaxes too….

crazy-legs

I use an Exposure Diablo. Didn’t buy it specifically for commuting but it’s good cos it’s got three light levels. I use it on Low most of the time but bump it up to Medium for roundabouts and the like. High really is dazzling; it gets you noticed but no-one can see anything with the glare so I only ever use it on max power on unlit country lanes (of which there are a few on my commute).

Having it on Flash mode can be useful in low light (not darkness) situations and also for filtering in heavy traffic, it’s really noticeable.

I combine that with a flashing light (Exposure Flash) on the bars and a solid one (second Exposure Flash) mounted beneath the stem.

convert

given you want a bright light to be seen, but not necessarily to light your way

This – a silly bright mtb night riding head torch is a silly idea on the road imo. The last thing I want to do is dazzle and impair the vision of those in charge of lumps of steel travelling towards me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a helmet front light for commuting’ is closed to new replies.