Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a heater for my man cave!!
  • bucketboy
    Free Member

Its getting cold in the cave so going to buy some kind of heater to make working on the bikes a little more plesant!

Shed is external from house and brick built with electric supply and about the size of a single garage.

What do you use to keep the chill off?

Recomendations please

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Just go for a cheapo halogen lamp one and direct the heat to where you work, don’t try and heat the whole place. Get them for about £25 or less.

big_scot_nanny

I used to use the tumble drier when I lived with my folks, but I am guessing that might have been quite inefficient? 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Electric oil filled heater in mine.

trout
    Free Member

I would go with a portable wood burner like stoners
    portable woodburner

garage-dweller

Thicker jumper? Or work harder……….

I also have a convection heater which works ok but is probably a bit juicy on the electric.

andyl
    Free Member

definitely an infra red heater pointed at where you will be working.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When I lived at home and spent all my time working on my banger of a car in my dads double garage, I was warmed by one of those portable gas fires that runs off a gas bottle. Toasty as anything and cheap to run.

bucketboy
    Free Member

Agree that trying to heat the whole space is just a waste of time and money, therefore completly agree with aiming said heater at where im working.

Was aware that fan heaters will have an adverse effect on the leccy bill but hadnt considered the gas bottle heater option.

Tries the extra jumper option, put to many on tho and wasnt able to move to work!!

Time to have a look on screwfix/machine mart me thinks

footflaps

How long do those Portable wood burner things take to heat up a room?

Kryton57

scruff – Member
    Electric oil filled heater in mine.

I was thinking about this as our “emergency” oil filled rad sits in the shed unused. I thought about just putting it on a low setting to keep the chill off.

Oil filled rads are one of the cheapest options are they not, but how safe are they to leave in a room 24/7?

andyl
    Free Member

if you are trying to warm up the whole space then any electric heater will basically cost the same. Electric heaters are 100% efficient but not always the smart way to heat.

IR heaters will heat the objects they are pointed at.

If you want to heat up the whole room and air etc then oil filled, convection etc etc will all be much of a muchness. The oil filled has a heat storage capability yes, but you still need to use energy to heat that storage based on it’s shc.

Obviously IR have their drawbacks too as when you move out of the line of site you get cold. But you should be able to get a nice warm feeling for a lot less £ than trying to heat a poorly insulated, cold and possibly damp garage by convection.

bucketboy
    Free Member

Thanks Andy

Thats the kind of info I was after to help me make my mind up which route to go down.

br
    Free Member

While electric (esp. fan heaters) is expensive, you only have it on when you are in there – so its all relative 🙂

Merak

*looking on with interest/hijack)

Im working on my mancave at the minute, some fine tuning required. The heat, or lack of, is brutal. Scotland innit.

These IR jobbies seem likely candidates. Any other recommendations?

Ta.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a heater for my man cave!!’ is closed to new replies.