Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a Grrrrravel tyre (or two)
  • cookeaa

I’ve been having some trouble seating last years bargain summer tyres (Vee Rubber rails: Non-TLR) on a newwer wider rim…

So I’ve started thinking about finding an alternative, something for summer gravelly/crossy/roadie mixed use…

Is the STW Grrrravel recommendation still for Nano’s? or are there other options I should look at?

I’d be happy with anything between 32mm and 40mm wide.

I did have the whacky idea of perhaps trying Halo Twin rails (Which I remember as more of a dirt/Street style MTB tyre) which seems to have been adapted as a road/gravel tyre (700×38 “Multi” version), it should roll well on tarmac and dressed offroad surfaces, will that inverted lateral tread offer much grip in loose (dry) corners though?…

scotroutes

I don’t know if your gravel is the same as mine but I’m finding the Nano 40s to be just superb. Despite all warnings to the contrary they are handling the occasional wet/sloppy patch with no drama.

Very comfy, currently running on some Prolite Veleta rims which are (IIRC) 21mm internal. Not tubeless yet, I’m not sure if those rims will work.

Fast. They just seem to want to go fast.

Pyro

I’m on 40c Nanos, tubeless, on Hunt wheels. They’re lovely.

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

40c Nanos here too, on WTB i19s. Lovely tyres and an absolute breeze to set up tubeless.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skinwalls FTW!

Graham_Clark

Panaracer Gravel King SK for slightly less gnarr…

aP
    Free Member

I like Clement 700c X’plor USH and MSO for varying levels of dryness, and for bigger stuff 650b Schwalbe Thunder Burt or for mostly road and some other Compass 38mm Loup Loup Pass.

tillydog
    Free Member

Panaracer Gravel King

How are they wearing?

I found they are lovely tyres to ride, but mine are getting cut to ribbons and seem to pick up every bit of glass going 🙁

tang
    Free Member

Maxxis Rambler, or more bite Ritchey megabite 38. Been running both, ace. Also the maxxis ravager I’m waiting on. Nano is a great tyre.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

G-One allround if you want something closer to the roadie end of the gravelspectrum

OCB
    Free Member

Recommend what you run
    🙄

but … I’ve not long put a set of [folding/tubed] Challenge Gravel Grinders (700 x 38, 120tpi, not-skinwalls) on my Vaya (for the ‘summer’) and I’m really rather liking them so far. They replaced a set of Conti Crossrides (700 x 42) as an alternative to Nano’s – they are / were fine too (if a bit nubby on dry roads).

(Mavic A719 ‘trekking’ rim).

goss
    Free Member

Panaracer Gravel King

been out riding the last 2 weekends with a buddy who’s got those, punctured twice and quite noisy ? nonetheless he likes the grip and roll. -I’m not impressed though

Clement 700c X’plor USH and MSO

I was riding the USH on those very same rides. Because of the centerline of the USH it rolls great on straights but can lack grip on high speed bends/curves(20+mph), off chamber. not a puncture yet(60tpi). I’d have a MSO in the shed I might fit on the front.

downhillfast
    Free Member

Kenda Happy Medium Pro 35c, been running them tubeless for several months.
    Think they do a 38c or 40c version too.

Dekerf853

I’ve been running a WTB Cross Boss 35c ‘TCS’ ‘Light’ on the rear, but I keep flatting when I smack it into stuff, although tubeless.
    Not sure I have clearance for a 40C.

Any recommendations for something a bit more robust? I’m not worried about a bit of extra weight.

Or should I just run higher pressures (40 psi currently)?

Bucko

Thread hijack.

I use my Escapade on and off road, probably 70/30 mix. The off road is bridleway, fire roads, canal paths. The standard Conti Sport Contact 37c are great on the road and on dry hardpack but I’m looking for something with a bit more grip off road when it’s damp without compromising the road performance too much.

The Clement X’Plor USH looks ideal with the hard central tread but I’m not sure if it’s actually any better off road than what I have.

Any other recommendations for something more road focused? How is the Nano on tarmac?

dmck16
    Free Member

Nano front and rear.

Initially didn’t get on well with tubes, too many flats. But have now set up tubeless.
    Seem fine now, but still not settled on pressure – don’t want to go too low.

Slight hijack – what psi is everyone running?
    (for comparison: they’re running on 18mm internal DT rims, I weigh about 10st, and currently at 45psi)

downhillfast
    Free Member

Psi will depend on tyre and rim.
    I run a 35c folding tyre set up as tubeless on an average Alex rim at arpund 45psi.
    Any less and I can feel (and hear) the tyre wanting to roll off on the corners!

It’s just a case of experimenting with what you have.

tenfoot

Nano for me too. Great all rounder

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Schwalbe G One, 700×38 tubeless on hope 20five rims… genuinely amazing for the last few weeks, not good in mud or wet grass… but I can’t stress how much fun ive been having with these lately

swanny853

I ran a set of challenge strada biancas last summer on the cross bike and found them hilarious. Definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum to say a nano, but they are incredibly fast and fly along unmade roads and the like while still being just about ok off road (if it’s dry). I thought I’d seen they were releasing a 38, which would be amazing, but haven’t seen them in the wild yet.

There are a lot of challenge tyres with a very similar name,
    pretty sure it’s these ones

corroded
    Free Member

I’ll agree about the Gravel Kings – cut up really quickly, like the Strade Bianche.
    I’m on G-Ones at the moment and they are much better. Not tried anything knobbier but don’t really need it round the South East.

mcnultycop

Replaced the SB8s that came on my Arkose with more of the same. Can’t see any reason to get anything else.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

does road plus fit?

maxxis refuse, wtb horizon/byway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I ran a set of challenge strada biancas last summer on the cross bike and found them hilarious. Definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum to say a nano, but they are incredibly fast and fly along unmade roads and the like while still being just about ok off road (if it’s dry). I thought I’d seen they were releasing a 38, which would be amazing, but haven’t seen them in the wild yet.

🙂

I love mine. I have a little ten mile loop around the ‘hood that is ideal Strada Bianca territory. Poorly surfaced little lanes, linked up with old drover’s roads. They fly along like nobody’s business. So, so fast. A little sketchy in the wet, but they’re not really an off road tyre, so I forgive them.
    Plus – Skinwall. 🙂

Caveat – There are many variants of Challenge out there. A bit like Conti tyres, where the “if it isn’t Black Chilli, step away”, make sure you get the good ones. Top Tip, they’re the expensive ones.

mechanicaldope

Previously ran Clement X’Plor USH (35mm) in all kinds of filthy off road conditions without any problem whatsoever. Gave more grip and confidence than they had any right to. Only switched to nanos because I wanted a bit more cushion for a long ride I have planned. Nanos are also excellent mind…

cookeaa

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I managed to get the rear inflated on a narrower rim, but the front just won’t play ball so it’s got a tube in for now…

I think I will give some more thought to it and pick a new pair.

out of interest has anyone tried the Hutchinson Override? I get on well with the ‘toro’ in winter so I would hope a pair of 38mm ‘Override’ might make sense for summer, think they’re quite a new product…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Grrrrravel tyre (or two)’ is closed to new replies.