Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a great allround, lightweight 2.1" rear tyre
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Am I asking for the moon on a stick? Probably…

Available for less than £20 or thereabouts

Sub 600g, ideally nearer 500g.

Hardwearing-ish rubbery stuff.

Non-draggy.

Able to cope with occasional quantities of mud, great in most other stuff.

(Similar to my favorite – and now discontinued rear, that once fulfilled all these requirements – IRC Mythos XC II):

Any ideas?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Crossmark if its mainly for the summer.

wwaswas

I've found bonty mud-x to be pretty good all year round on and aroudn the South Downs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mundiesmiester
    Free Member

As long as you will compromise on the the weight the Mud X is the one to go for, 620g, rolls very well considering how it copes so well with mud and can be found for 20 quid if you look

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Maxxis ADvantage 2.1. The folding version is around 600g, 70a wears very well and the tread is a great all rounder.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Bontrager Jones ACX is a good all-rounder, listed as a 2.2" but is near enough

tinsy
    Free Member

Conti speed king from On One, at a £10 each you cant go wrong, low enough profile knobs to run reasonably fast, and wide enough spacing to cope with the wet stuff… (you have to lean it over quite a lot to get conering grip)

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

highroller XC 2.1"

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Conti speed king from On One, at a £10 each

GAAARRGH! – Sold Out! Darn it.. otherwise – looks about right!

harryparabolics
    Free Member

Maxxis ADvantage 2.1. The folding version is around 600g, 70a wears very well and the tread is a great all rounder.

+1 – they're a winner IMO

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

advantages or good but blow up pretty big IME.

stumpy01

Ditto Tinsy – Speed Kings.

Only down side in my experience is that they are a git to get on & off the rim.

Loads of places doing them under £20.

PaulD
    Free Member

No Idea,

Have a look at these Kenda Nevegals £20 at CRC.

Size and weight is spot on, DTC is excellent for the ocasional tarmac stretch and the grip is just brilliant when you lean it over.

I have these or Blue Grooves on most of my MTBs most of the time.

No comparison with the very hard and slippy non-chili Contis.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29703

epicsteve
    Free Member

I bought some of the cheap Speed Kings in the On-One sale and I've run on them on my Soul and they seem decent enough. I've been running the Supersonic version on my Zion over the winter and been very impressed, but I'm less impressed at the cost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at these Kenda Nevegals £20 at CRC.

Size and weight is spot on, DTC is excellent for the ocasional tarmac stretch and the grip is just brilliant when you lean it over.

+1

They are a great all-round tyre.

mrh86

Maxxis advantage – though if you're heavy and ride a HT I found that they are very prone to pinch flats on the rocky stuff. Apart from that excellent tyres. come up quite big for 2.1" as well

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20404
    Great tyres. Fast rolling, light and predictable grip.

EDIT, didnt see the occational mud bit, but ive ridden mine all winter…they are pretty exciting in mud=good for skillz and lots of fun 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Advantage, Mud-X or Nobby Nic is where the answer to your quest lies.

If you can sacrifice a bit of grip in proper mud then a Maxxis Ignitor Exception in 2.1" is very light and fast

br
    Free Member

I got a Maxxis Larsen 2.35 from http://www.nextdaytyres.com, ran it over the weekend, good as a rear.

630g

dobo
    Free Member

how about some maxis monorails on the rear, better than ralphs in slippy steep sections

CheesybeanZ

kenda nevagals 2.1, great all year round tyre , fast rolling and great
    grip in most conditions .

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a great allround, lightweight 2.1" rear tyre’ is closed to new replies.