Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a great 10spd mtb chain please – or Shimano compatible missing link
  • binno
    Free Member

Hi all,

I snapped my almost new SLX model HGX chain 3 times on my last outing. The bike is new, chain rings are fine and it’s set up correctly. I know how to shift etc… so it’s not me. Been fine since, though i now have a far to short chain.

Can anyone recommend a great 10speed chain for Shimano kit + can anyone recommend a solid missing link for shimano 10spd chains? 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

I just use cheap Sram chains and for 10 speed links Clarks – all on CRC. Sram links for 10spd are stupidly not re-usable.

I think I pay about £20 ish and they last for a year of abuse, riding 3-4 times a week, never oiled, just wash and WD40 it.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve used a 9-speed SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano 10-speed road chain and it works fine. Is HG-X any different?

dantsw13

I’m a big unit and Shinamo chains have been fine for me without snapping.

10 spd links can cost a bomb – google YBN quick links – used them for a couple of years with no issues, and MUCH cheaper than the SRAM/KMC ones.

MadPierre

I use SRAM 10 speed chains on Shimano rest of it. And the joining links ARE re-usable (you just need the right tool to get ’em apart – fingers ain’t enough!)

rootes1

wipermann, well made and their connex link is easy to use.

tang
    Free Member

wippermann connex, very good chains.

binno
    Free Member

thanks all, I’m heading down the YPN link route, thanks for the tip.

shortcut

I use and xtr chain with SRAM or KMC power links.

IME chains usually brake when you change under a lot of power – panic changes break chains.
    Suggest you bin the SLX and start with something new!

RealMan
    Free Member

wipermann, well made and their connex link is easy to use.

+1, brilliant chains that just work, and the quick link just makes you wonder why anyone would ever bother using anything else.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Had the same problem with my own new HG chain. Went for the KMC mssing link. Been fine since and don’t notice any difference in performance.

Northwind

Someone gave me a great tip on here, can’t remember who, sorry… Anyway, Decathlon own-brand chainlinks are KMC, I got a pair (ie 4 half-links) for £3.

iain1775
    Free Member

I get my KMC links from eBay here – http://bit.ly/TVYcpE
    £5 for two complete links
    Delivery is usually just over a week, have been fine for me in both 9 & 10 speed guise

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a great 10spd mtb chain please – or Shimano compatible missing link’ is closed to new replies.