• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a GPS watch
  • jacksprogis
    Free Member

Alright fellas,

Finally in the market for a decent GPS watch.

I needs to be compatible with strava and ideally easy to upload
    Have a heart rate monitor ideally on the watch without having to wear a chest mounted one.

What have people got?

Cheers.

julians
    Free Member

Garmin fenix 3, but the heart rate monitor is a chest strap not part of the watch.

Works very well, it auto uploads any activities to strava (via a bluetooth connection with your phone), acts as a smartwatch in that it displays any text messages/emails your phone receives, lets you reject calls, control the music your phone is playing etc.

Battery life is good, its not bulky. Cant fault it really, works well

kraftyone
    Free Member

I have an Garmin FR220, which I rate very highly (I bought a chest strap HR monitor)

The new FR230 looks to be identical with the inclusion of HR measured via the wrist.

jam-bo

The new FR230 looks to be identical with the inclusion of HR measured via the wrist.

do you mean the FR225?

I was really impressed with my mates Fenix 3 on a recent trip.

rob2
    Free Member

I have a fenix3 and it’s very good. If probably go epic now for mapping and from what if read it runs a bit faster too

jam-bo
    dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Garmin Fenix 3 here too.

I wanted a Garmin to keep it simple as I also use a Garmin Edge 800. Was previously using a Polar watch which was good but meant using two different bits of software / web sites to upload and download stuff.

The Fenix 3 does everything I need plus a ton of stuff I don’t need so probably a bit overkill. Works well though so happy to recommend it. There are cheaper options out there though.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Cheers for the input chaps.

Which version is everyone running?
    The sapphire?

mogrim

Suunto Ambit 2 user here, very happy with it.

dave3fc
    Free Member

Just got a garmin vivoactive smart watch, really pleased with it. (2 weeks)
    Already have a edge 200 for following routes, but for everything else, running, walking etc, it’s ideal.
    Does chest strap heart rate too, £200 all in.

richmars

Someone on here recommended the TomTom Multisport, so I got one! Very impressed with it. Small (at least the non heart rate version) and easy to use. Uploads data via Blue tooth to the phone, which copies it to Strava (and the TomTom website). The display is on all the time, showing the time, so it makes a reasonable watch.

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got a Forerunner 220. Works fine for running or walking etc, its a nice size/weight. Has the usual training features, eg intervals. But it doesn’t do any sort of navigation. Can connect to the phone, for uploading to Garmin Connect/Strava.
    And not too expensive – I got Wiggle to price match Runnerinn, for £115.

I’m using it with a Mio Fuse wrist heart rate monitor. I think it makes sense to use separate devices, as the Mio can be a bit fussy about position to work best. Also the heart rate monitor needs to be directly on your skin, so you can’t see it if wearing a jacket. With a separate watch, I can wear that on the outside of the jacket.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Another TomTom Multisport user here, mine is the cardio version. Works well and the automatic upload to multiple logging sites via bluetooth/phone is really good too.

nixie

I’ve also got a TomTom multisport. The watch I’m happy with, its much easier than carrying a phone. However the bluetooth upload is shite. Works great from apple devices however all the android lollipop devices I’ve tried have failed (tried 3 different phones on 3 different lollipop versions). This might be an issue with the android lollipop stack more than anything (there are plenty of reports of other issues around it).

tom.nash

I have a TomTom multi sport and have been really impressed, think it is for sale on Sports Pursuit at the moment too. Really simple to use, easy to upload and works in dense trees of the Tweed Valley!

richmars

I upload my TT Multisport via BT to an Android phone, the only problem is it’s slow, but that’s a BT thing, not TomTom or Android.

blu386
    Free Member

Garmin forerunner 620 here, had it a few months and so far it’s been brilliant

RichT

I have just ordered a forerunner 610 from sportspursuit for 130 quid. Got an extra 10% off with code SP-10FR-AP if you are interested.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Fenix 3 sapphire here

Very happy with it

sc-xc

Polar V800 here, I bought it after reading the review on DC Rainmaker’s site.

Knowing how these things move on, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already old hat…

youngrob

+1 for the Suunto Ambit 2.

nixie

I upload my TT Multisport via BT to an Android phone, the only problem is it’s slow, but that’s a BT thing, not TomTom or Android.

What android version? I think the problem is actually in lollipop (drops connection as OS doesn’t think pairing is corret) and the kitkat phones work. Upload was still slow on the apple devices but faster than my android phone was achieving (for the 20-30% it would work for)

nickc

I use a Garmin Forerunner 210; easy to live with. comes with HR starp, can use it for Running and cycling

uploads to Strava if that’s your thing

kbomb
    Free Member

I was tempted by the fenix 3, but there seem to be lots of reports of it under-reporting distances, and having dodgy GPS accuracy, especially in wooded areas. Garmin forums seem to be full of much angrier people than STW.

MTBers should be best placed to answer, anyone had such problems, or care to share a link to any forested runs or rides?

richmars

What android version?

5.0.2, on a Moto e

nixie

Wasn’t expecting that. Also 5.0.2 on mine (But moto g not e)

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’ve got a Polar M400 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. It has way more features than I’ll ever need. The activity tracking stuff is good too, if you’re also looking for something like a Fitbit but with proper GPS and HRM support.

But jeez, Polar’s software is just awful. They’re about the only GPS manufacturer who don’t support automatic uploads to services like Strava etc. Their own web service is pretty awful and mostly exists so you can go online and export it for uploading to other websites. The Android app is pretty bad too.

Shame really as the hardware is great and their customer support is brilliant – I’ve had mine fixed under warranty twice now. They’re easy to deal with and my watch was returned to me the next day (sent special delivery, fixed that afternoon, came with the post following day). I’d recommend them as an alternative to Garmin if you aren’t fussed about having to manually export stuff to add to Strava.

gelert
    Free Member

TomTom Multi-Sport Cardio here. Had it for Christmas 2014. Been really good. Bluetooth upload is a bit slow but it’s way better than plugging into a computer. I like that I don’t have to remember to take it off my bike or when I’m testing multiple demo bikes I don’t have to faff about with a mount. It has the exact same GPS accuracy as the Garmin Edge it replaced in my tests.

I use it for running and indoor swimming too. It counts pool laps but doesn’t take heart rate while underwater. It has a good treadmill mode for indoor turbo training, you just input your miles done at the end and change the sport type from running to cycling online afterwards.

rob2
    Free Member

Re: fenix 3.
    I have a normal screen one with a screen protector and it’s been fine. No gps issues, indeed it’s better than my 800 in the woods in the quantocks. Only issue I had was a bug on v3.8. (I think) which Garmin fixed in about a week. The battery life isn’t quite as good as claimed. Uses about 5pc per day or a 2hr ride uses about 8-10pc. It used to be better but a software update seems to have made it worse! It will easy last an all day ride though.

nixie

TomTom android app was updated the other day. Seems better (I’ve now managed a sync). Still has some issues though I think.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a GPS watch’ is closed to new replies.