Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a GPS device for off road cycling
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Looking to use GPS for solo rides in to the wilds. Any recommendations gladly accepted.
    Thanks
    Richard

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

What do you want it to do?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I want to preload routes does such a thing exist?

johnnystorm

Yes. A thousand options exist! How long will your rides be, will you do multiple days away, do you want heart rate or cadence data, Are you an OS map fan or happy to try other maps, do you prefer buttons or touchscreen, how big a screen do you want, etc….. 😉

johnnystorm

I use a Garmin Dakota 200. With AA batteries its great for long rides, lithium aa’s will do 24hrs+ in one go. You can install Os maps or free open Maps from some where like talky toaster. It will also talk to an hrm/cadence. About 100 quid or thereabouts.

A Garmin Edge 810/Touring is a neater unit as it has a physically smaller internal built in battery but won’t last as long without a recharge.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Ok
    Single days out
    Not worried about data collection
    AA batteries would be best
    Reliable in remote locations with no phone coverage
    Buttons better than touch screen
    Easy bike mounting so not too big and bulky

CraigW
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex 20x will do all that. Should last about 24 hours with good NiMH rechargeable AAs. It comes preloaded with OSM based maps, or you can add maps from other sources.
    Should work fine for loading a route and following it.

Or Etrex 35x if you want heart rate / cadence.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a GPS device for off road cycling’ is closed to new replies.