Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a GoreTex jacket
  • DrJ

My old jacket has given up the ghost after 2 decades, so I am looking for a new shell jacket to keep me dry during days trampling around in the Scottish rain. I am thinking something like a Berghaus Suilven, but maybe there are better options – prefer quality over price. Any recommendations to share?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Don’t dismiss Event fabric too.

I’ve had a Rab Latok shell for the past couple of years and it’s been great. Nice and hard wearing too.

Not cheap mind.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve always found Marmot Goretex shells hardwearing. I have a Marmot Pro-shell mountaineering jacket that’s been going strong for around 6 or 7 years hard use. Also have one of their ski jackets which is great too.

Sweet Protection make some really nice jackets too. Pricey, but often available on sale.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mountain Equipment Changabang, cracking jacket. Not cheap but if you get another 20 years out of it then not really an issue.

cinnamon_girl
    eddie11
    Free Member

i cant, i’d have to say event.

loddrik
    Free Member

Check this clearance section first!

http://www.tgstore.co.uk/outlet-clearance/gore-bike-wear-offers/

Pretty sure he’s after a jacket for walking not riding.

Del

take a look at triple-point ceramic too.

DrJ

Yes – walking not riding 🙂

Other fabrics considered !!

nbt

I’ve been impressed with triple-point ceramic as above

also check out Keela, as used by many of the ski area staff

http://www.keela.co.uk/

cinnamon_girl

Sorry! 😳

BadlyWiredDog

If you’re looking at the Suilven, check out the Mountain Equipment Kongur also maybe, which is their longer-cut mountain walking jacket or if you want something a bit sleeker, the Lhotse is a really nicely cut, well-designed mountaineering shell.

The latest Rab Latok, just been redesigned, feels absolutely bombproof and is probably a little more breathable than the Gore-Tex options thanks to using eVent, though the latest GTX Pro is better than the previous version.

Triple point ceramic is about to disappear again. Lowe Alpine giving up on clothing after a brief reappearance.

footflaps

I think they’re all much of a muchness eg any GTX Pro jacket is as good as any other, it’s just down to cut and colours etc.

FWIW I’ve got a TNF GTX Pro and a Marmot GTX Pro shell.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say It again. Paramo.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a GoreTex jacket’ is closed to new replies.