Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me a good value down sleeping bag
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Recommend me a good value down sleeping bag, needs to be good for winter use down to -10C approx. Don’t want to spend the earth, should I look second-hand or are there any bargains out there?

Thanks in advance,

Paceman

irc

£100 off in the winter sale gets a top class -10C bag down to £257.

Still well under 1K weight as well. Options for longer/shorter wider as well if needed.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-500-down-sleeping-bag?osCsid=gvjigbunb2u46qog3dnpiubbl7

Nipper99
    Free Member

Something from Alpkit although PHD stuff is very nice.

whitestone
    Free Member

-10C is pretty severe for the UK unless you are bivvying out in the Highlands. A bag rated to that sort of temp won’t be much use for probably 11 months of the year. I’ve a Rab 1100 which is rated to -25C and which I’ve used for perhaps 20 nights in 20 years, nearly all of them outside the UK.

A lesser rated bag with a liner or second bag to get you to the required rating might be a better choice. I’ve a PHD sleeping bag rated to 5C and a Cumulus quilt 150 with the same rating, together they are fine down to at least -5C. Weight and cost are roughly equivalent to the same rated bag.

If you want top quality then PHD (preferably in the sale for your wallet’s sake) but Alpkit is a decent budget option. I would be tempted by the Minim 500 linked to above though despite my comments above.

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s for a MTB trekking trip to Nepal in October, advice is to take a sleeping bag suitable for temps down to -10C.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Lots on here: Down Sleeping Bags

Cumulus bags are great too and top value.

whitestone
    Free Member

In that case get one with a zip, you’ll have some nights that are very warm so need a bit of ventilation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good value down sleeping bag’ is closed to new replies.