• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ski.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a good tripod for a DSLR.
  • Albanach
    Free Member

It is for a gift for a pal who has just got a DSLR. Looking to spend between £50 and £100 for one. Absolutely clueless about this!

Cheers

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Have a look at the Red Snapper stuff, gets very good reviews for the money.
    Although haven't used one myself, I use an Old Benbo with Manfrotto head & it's excellent, but might be a bit expensive unless you go S/H?

Home

Mackered
    Free Member

Manfrotto 190 ProB

marionheck
    Free Member

Second mackerel

grumm
    Free Member

I've got the redsnapper 284 4 section one when it came with a free RSH-24 head for £50. It's my first tripod so not much to compare to but I'm very pleased with it – seems great value. Folds away reasonably small and comes with a decent carry bag.

user-removed
    Free Member

Kinda depends on the kind of photography they do – i.e., does he go walking / biking in the hills all day, or will it never leave his house / garden / car.

But +2 for the Manfrotto – got one and it's great – bit heavy and large for carting about tho….

Albanach
    Free Member

I'd imagine he would be carting it around a fair bit. Quiteinto his outdoor stuff (walking, biking, surfing).

grumm
    Free Member

Sounds like the 4 section redsnapper would suit – lots of discussion of them here

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=184007&highlight=redsnapper

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that the Manfrotto doesn't usually come with a head, that'll need to be added onto it.

d0ugal
    Free Member

what dSLR?
    what lens?
    how important is the total weight?
    how important is the max height?
    how important is the packed height?
    do you want a ball-head?

do you want a three-axis head?

do you want separate legs and head? gives the option to upgrade either in the future

this is a good cheap place to buy tripod type stuff
    Morris Photo
    free delivery if order > 65 quid

Albanach
    Free Member

Okay. d0ugal camera is a Canon EOS 500D. The lenses he has are Canon EFS 18-55mm and Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6. Weight will probably reasonably important. Packed height shoud be small enough to be strapped to a rucksack and max height I have no idea really and am open to suggestions.

Would probably prefer separate heads and legs as for what type of head what would you recommend for general use and a beginner?

Cheers

Talkemada
    Free Member

I've had a Manfrotto 190 with a RC141 head. Tough as bastards. Been on several foreign trips, thrown about, taken loads of abuse. Still fine. There's a dent on one leg, which makes closing it up a bit tight, but I could have that individual piece replaced, apparently.

Highly recommended.

d0ugal
    Free Member

Okay. d0ugal camera is a Canon EOS 500D. The lenses he has are Canon EFS 18-55mm and Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6. Weight will probably reasonably important. Packed height shoud be small enough to be strapped to a rucksack and max height I have no idea really and am open to suggestions.

that combo isn't particularly heavy, so you don't need a beastie tripod

whether you want one is another matter

Would probably prefer separate heads and legs

why would you want separate legs / head?

if you could cope with a combined legs / head then this would make a reasonable tripod

Manfrotto 7302YB M-Y Compact Tripod

otherwise
    Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod

i have these legs, fantastic, but getting expensive
    Manfrotto 190XPROB

as for head
    load limit is 4kg, but this will be fine for what you currently use
    Manfrotto 494RC2

for slightly more
    Manfrotto 496RC2

d0ugal
    Free Member

that's more of a video head than a photo head

the legs and cheaper ball head from morris would be 105

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers for the help d0ugal went for the 190XDB and 494RC2 as advised. I hope he likes it!

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Manfrotto 190 ProB ++

Albanach
    Free Member

Bit late IanMmmm but thanks anyway 😀

ski
    Free Member

Best bit of photographic kit I ever bought is a Manfrotto 055 pro tripod, its lasted me 20+ years so far!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good tripod for a DSLR.’ is closed to new replies.