Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a good thermal mug.
  • twoniner
    Free Member

I like a brew on the move and I’ve owned my fair share of thermal mugs but to be honest I’ve never found the perfect one.

I’m after something that will fit in the standard sized cup holder of the car.

The lifeventure ones are good but they can leak and you have to unscrew the lid to drink, not good when driving. Others have leaked and start to get a bit clogged up with dry tea and gunge around the sliding opening on the lid.

Maybe I’m being fussy but there has to be that perfect one that works out there?

chewkw
    Free Member

There is no such thing as good thermal mugs because they all contain plastic, so as far as plastic and heat is concerned I stay away from them.

I want the whole thing stainless steel …

Pook

get a good thermal mug, they’re great.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

not sure if they still do them, but I have a Kathmandu one, which is stainless lined on the inside and around the lip – so is easy to clean and doesn’t pick up the taste of dishwasher tablets.

bruneep

Bodum

best mug purchased

maccruiskeen

Thermos. Plastic on the outside, stainless on the inside. £7 in sainsburys

twoniner
    Free Member

I’ve just binned a Thermos.

Bruneep, I like the look of that Bodum one, will hunt one down and have a look.

maccruiskeen

You could bin three more thermos ones for the price of the bodum 🙂

spooky_b329

Sagaform. Ceramic mug with silicone lid that resembles a take away cup. You can microwave it and it has a plug in the bottom so it doesn’t fill with water from the dishwasher.

The rubber smell from the lid fades after a week or so.

The bodum looks great but is eye eyewateringly expensive! There is a coffee press version though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The best thermal mug I ever owned was made by La Cafetière. It was awesome. I left it at a client’s. they obviously tried it and also found it awesome as they swore blind I hadn’t left it there, the bastids. 😐

They don’t make that model anymore. 🙁

Ambrose
    jonmc10

Contigo mugs are great. One handed operation. Auto sealing. No spills and keep tea warm for a long time.

twoniner
    Free Member

Contigo mugs are great. One handed operation. Auto sealing. No spills and keep tea warm for a long time.

I have a blue contigo that I have water in, I tried a brew in it and I found that the trigger/lid system got manky from brew residue and took some cleaning. I do agree thay are cracking mugs, I went for it on a similar quest to this but looking for a good non leak waterbottle.

bruneep

The bodum looks great but is eye eyewateringly expensive!

Really? given what people pay for bikes and parts is it that expensive? I bought 3 or 4 mugs before I bought my Bodum mug wish I’d bought it first.

spooky_b329

The price I saw it at (in-store admittedly) was £27. Way above my comfort threshold for something that is going to bounced around at work. I got to the checkout and had a firm word with myself moments before handing over more than £50 for two of them 😯

simon_g

Wife bought me one of these a couple of years ago:

http://www.starbucksstore.co.uk/stainless_steel_tumbler_16_fl_oz/011010925,en_GB,pd.html?&srule=Featured&start=0&sz=16&prefn1=insulated&cgid=tumblers-and-travel-mugs&prefv1=insulated

(there’s a smaller one too)

Lid is easily flipped up with one hand, easy to clean and has been very robust so far. Keeps coffee warm for at least 90 mins, I have a long commute and it’s normally too hot to drink until a fair way into the journey. Fits in every car cupholder I’ve used too.

I’d gone through a few before it but it’s spot on for me.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

bodum are great, i have one, but if i was buying a new one then this is the king…

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=doubleshot

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve had so many iterations its untrue!

But the solution is: Primus Commuter 0.4 L. Has a push button valve so you know it won’t spill. I use it all day every day, take it whilst flying and it often sits in my bag with ipad/laptop whilst full with no issues..

I do always invert it and check it’s not going to leak (have done it wrong previously) before putting in my bag!

twoniner
    Free Member

I bought 3 or 4 mugs before I bought my Bodum mug wish I’d bought it first.

I have pretty much done the same, spent a fortune trying to find the right mug.

But the solution is: Primus Commuter 0.4 L.

I like the look of this primus too, the stainless would make sense for me.

Toss up between the Bodum and the Primus at the mo then.

I knew it was worth asking, I’m getting somewhere now 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good thermal mug.’ is closed to new replies.