Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • recommend me a good seatpost for slamming please…..
  • westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hi,
    Ive been riding a medium Enduro for the last couple of years and Ive always been aware that its too short for me. Im going to buy a new style Enduro carbon frame (or maybe a stumpjumper evo) and Im going to buy a large instead. I spend a lot of my time in the steep, with my seatpost absolutely slammed, and because my new bike will inevitably sit higher with the longer seat tube, Im on the lookout for anything that will help me get my seat back down to the height i like. Ive got a PRO seatpost on my current bike which sits at least an inch out of the frame because of the way its manufactured, and Im assuming that there must be some posts out there that allow the user to slam more than others. The Thomson one looks like it goes deep, as does the on-one twelfty. Anybody had a positive experience of one that gets the seat rails hanging right down over the frame? Cheers, Simon.

bikeneil
    Free Member

* pulls up a chair.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My chair’s got a dropper.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hahaha, i know, zzzzzz right….but somebody on here always has a good shout that just saves the rest of us so much pointless trial and error.

julianwilson
    Free Member

No seatpost will get your saddle rails anywhere lower than a few mm over the top of the seatpost clamp. But yes thomson (not the layback one cos it bends of course) and the on-one twelvty both sit about as low as you can get.

But yes get a dropper!

Fwiw i had a thomson on my size L bullit which i bought in that size for same reasons as you op ie found the medium too short in the top tube (objectively it was, mind!) and so had a 19″ seat tube but kinked top tube. In the end i didn’t drop the seatpost all the way in, actually found more control of the bike (i guess with the inside of my manly singlespeeding thighs) on really steep tight twisty rooty etc (Gawton and tavi woodlanss so proper stupidly steep downhill race tracks as well as more fun stuff) with about 3″ of post out of the frame, as opposed to seat right out of the way. Never got round to trying a dropper in it ( it pretty much stayed down all the time anyway) but i guess a dropper with the collar about an inch and a half to two inches out of the frame would have achieved the same position. I still don’t have one myself but it does sound like trying a few runs of your steepest local trails with 3″ or so of post showing would be a good way to see if it is worth the expense.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Slamming? Does this mean lowering but in a more extreme manner – done angrily perhaps, or with a whoop?

Yours oldly….

stevied
    Free Member

It’s when you’ve got your full gnar on TGA.

legend
    Free Member

Are you sure you really want another Specialized instead of something that might just fit you better?

iolo
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Are you sure you really want another Specialized instead of something that might just fit you better?

But surely if it doesn’t fit him he has the wrong size?
    I could ride a Large but it would be awful for my 5 foot 5 body.
    However should I ride the same bike in Small it would be fine.
    What has manufactures name have to do with it?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thankyou Stevie, much appreciated. Am I best going straight to CRC for some, or is it all about cheap Chinese gnar these days?

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

This is good, for every pedantic person on here there is someone who comes up with a sensible answer and somebody else who poses an intriguing question.

Julian- maybe my wanting to lower my seatpost to “the max” (more gnar speak for you there thegreatape) is a psychological thing. Its possible that I feel more comfortable tackling steep stuff when its right out of the way, whereas you use yours to actually aid control. I can certainly see where you`re coming from.

Thegreatape- if id just said lowering, it might have implied a gentle reduction in height, like i wasnt really THAT bothered about getting it right down as far as it would go. I stand by my use of gnar speak in this instance, I want my seat RAMMED DOWN!

Legend- Im 5 foot 10 and a half, which I would imagine would be just about exactly average height...and right between most manufacturers medium and large sizes. Id imagine that Iolo will experience exactly the same issue between mediums and smalls. I just really like the way Specialized bikes ride, Ive got use to them and Im loathed to change. Id be really interested to know if youve got a suggestion for me though, based on your experiences? I was looking at the Kona Process, but I live miles from anywhere where I could go and look at one or sit on one, its impossible to tell from a picture whether something will suit you or not. Im inclined to play it safe- Ive ridden a large Enduro and its perfect for me with a short stem…I just feel like that seat gets in my way a wee bit. Its a matter of millimetres, but we all want our bikes to work the best way we can for us, don`t we.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Surely the difference in how far you can actually get a seatpost down is going to be negligible and make FA difference . Don’t the Enduro and Stumpjumper that you are talking about have seat tubes that curve half way down which will stop you SLAMMING it right down unless you chop some off the bottom then you might have trouble SLAMMING it right back up .

legend
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter what height you are really, all brands, bikes, people and preferences are different – can’t cater for them all.

I looked at Spec and Transition last time i was buying. Both were too short in small, but too tall in med for me. In the end what I ended up with is as long (actually longer) than those mediums but as low as the smalls – perfect (for me). It took a bit of time to work out what I need, worth it but if you really want a Spesh again then go for it.

muzzle
    Free Member

Am I the only person who is seeing westcoastmassive’s posts in a variety of fonts?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nope, me too. Reckon a variety of rainbow colours would enhance them even more 😛

OP, how about a BMX pivotal seat and post? What size do you need? They are readily available in 25.4mm so you could shim but Tioga do them in 27.2 amnd 31.6 too.

legend
    Free Member

Are those posts not really short too?

teasel
    Free Member

Am I the only person who is seeing westcoastmassive’s posts in a variety of fonts?

‘s weird, innit. Not going too well with this bag of weed I’m working my way through…

Tracey

Im 5ft 10in and ride both an Enduro and a Stumpjumper in medium. It may be worth while waiting till you get your new frame and put the monies towards that as both the Enduro and Stumpjumper frames come with dropper posts as standard.

devash
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that Spesh have the kinked seat tube / shock links which means you can’t ‘slam’ the seatpost like on some other manufacturer’s frames. A dropper post would be the only real solution.

My size large Camber came with a 420mm seat post and I had to switch it over to a 370mm to get an acceptable drop for the steeps.

Spesh have really weird geometry. I’m 6ft give or take a millimetre or two and the medium Camber felt way too cramped, yet the large has an effective top tube / reach of most manufacturer’s XL and at times I feel too stretched out. I’ll probably look at other brands when its time for a new bike.

mamadirt
    Free Member

legend – Member

Are those posts not really short too?

Most are but there are several xl versions available (Tioga’s are 320mm).

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Mamadirt, i like the look of that, very good shout!! If i can get one in the right diameter i could buy one of them for days when im in the steep, then swap it out if im going for an all-day ride. And as for chopping my post to fit the kinked frame, my legs really are so short that a 350mm post on a large frame would be more than long enough- i dont think the one i have on my medium enduro is even that long. I cant see me keeping a dropper post, im a simpleton and dont race. I might think differently if i actually had one though eh!
    As for the font, every one of my stw posts from my home computer comes up like that, i have no idea why! This one’s from my phone, i bet it looks normal.

Stevet1
    Free Member

For proper slammed you need to buy a pivotal seat and wedge mod that sucker.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a good seatpost for slamming please…..’ is closed to new replies.