Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a good road cycling magazine
  • Dino
    Free Member

Hi taking up road cycling to complement my mtb riding & wondered what you guys recommend with regard to reading?
    Don’t know a lot about road bikes so if you can recommend something for the novice that would be great .

Jase
    Free Member

Cycling Plus is prob the equiv of MBR/What mtb

rocketman
    Free Member

Singletrack

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

Indeed – Cycling Plus is the consumer-orientated one, with bike reviews and route and advice and tips and tricks and things

RustySpanner

Cycle Active is excellent.
    By far the best, imo.

Lots of good advice, real world reviews, and some superb route guides – we’ve done quite a few and can’t fault them.
    I’ve only stopped buying it because it’s always a bit ‘samey’ and they’ve started to repeat themselves a bit.
    Lot’s of content focused at women as well, which means the other half enjoys it too.

Cycling Plus seems to be aimed more at wannabee Lances, rather than pootlers.
    If that’s what your after it’s fine, but it’s a bit more mainstream and focused on kit, which puts me right off.

tutgareth
    Free Member

cycling plus and cycling active for me too 🙂

butcher

Cycle Active is excellent.

Yes, cycling active is quite good for newbies I’d say. You might have to hide it while you’re walking around the shop, and make sure you get a bag at the checkout (the express checkout). It’s not the manliest of mags. But as far as content goes it’s pretty down to earth.

That and Cycling plus are both full of ads and kit, which is quite good for trying to get your head round what’s what. I devoured them when I was buying a road bike.

Cycling Plus isn’t bad. It’s just very predictable. I think it comes under the same umbrella as MBUK, so expect more of the same.

Or there’s a few more serious reads if you’re into them.

cp

cyclist is a great read

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/

[edit – not so novice orientated though!]

RustySpanner

It’s not the manliest of mags.

That’s one of the reasons I like it 😀
    It’s got none of testosterone related bullshit that seems to imply that you have to suffer all the time to enjoy yourself.

IHN

I quite like Cycling Weekly to be honest.

mogrim

I subscribed to Cycling Plus for a couple of years – It was great to start with, but I haven’t bothered renewing this year as it really does start to get repetitive. There’s only so many “what-clothes-for-winter” articles you want to read…

I’d still recommend it, though – but for just the one year 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for Cycling Plus and Cycling Active if you want lots of info (mostly good…), Cycling Plus tends to have more gear reviews and Active has more articles (training, weight loss etc.).
    Cycling Weekly is good for up-to-date pro scene coverage and kit reviews
    Pro Cycling is good for more in-depth pro scene coverage and some great back stories
    Not read the Cyclist or Rouleur but both supposed to be good for articles

GrahamS

[edit – not so novice orientated though!]

I think the last one I read had reviews of 20-grand bikes in it. So yeah, not entirely aimed at novices.

(Was a good read though.)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above cycling plus is the MBR of roadies. Cycling active is the what-mtb.

Cycling weekly is my most read, but mostly just buy it when i want it rather than regulalry. Mostly aimed at racers, or at least people into the race scene. I’d rather read that than a grouptest of bars/seatposts/C2W bikes, and hear about the next DA groupset than the latest sora. Not that I can afford DA, but it’s more interesting to hear about 600g production frames and £3000 power meters, I already know if I get a new bike 105 on an aluminium frame will be adequate.

TiRed

Cycling weekly for the culture and Cycling Active for the beginner.

Cycling Plus is dreadful – Read it last week whilst ill at home. Witness the review of six carbon road bikes from unknown manufacturers – would you drop £3000 on an unseen bike from an unknown brand without any comparison to an established brand?

RustySpanner

As above cycling plus is the MBR of roadies. Cycling active is the what-mtb.

Other way round, Shirley? 😀

And the route guides in Cycle Active are usually the right way round & very good to boot.

Dino
    Free Member

Cheers guys

GrahamS

Also worth taking a look at Global Cycling Network on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/globalcyclingnetwork

toppers3933
    Free Member

im really enjoying cyclist mag. best cycling mag i’ve read in ages.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good road cycling magazine’ is closed to new replies.