Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Recommend me a Good Malt Whiskey For Dad
  • edhornby

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/default.asp

I'd agree with the other posters, the islay ones (ardbeg! cracking) are great but not everyone gets on with them, and the fact that your dad has glenfiddich makes me think that a highland or speyside would be a better bet

have a look at the map thingy on the royal mile to give you some ideas, although I agree with buzz and inbred, Highland park is very drinkable 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

You can get Japanese whisky these days. Would be worth it for the surprise and novelty. Bowmore distillery is owned by a Japanese drinks outfit and they've got some in their shop. £45 or £50 a pop though, so depends on your budget.

GSter
    Free Member

Difficult Q: Like asking, recommend me a great £2000 bike, all subjective.

Islay Malts are 'peaty / smokey' to the taste and abit like marmite, 'you either do or don;t like them'. All of them are interesting to try.

All Single Malts are different, some sweeter than others.

You can get 'taster packs' on line so he can get to try a load with different characters and then start searching for a big bottle on Boxing Day !

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I know you're dad's got a lot of Glenfiddich already, but Tesco have Glenfiddich 18yo for £32 ATM. It's waaay better than the 12yo and uber bargaintastic.

My palms itched as left it alone!

Northwind

You didn't give budget that I can see, but I'd always go for Talisker, it's a bit marmite but not so much as the horrible diesel-in-a-whisky-bottle islays.

If you want a bit of novelty value then the japanese ones are mostly pretty good, they spent a long time getting that right unlike scottish distilleries where frankly they could bottle sheep wee and sell it to americans.

Macallan is the traditional safe choice, or highland park. Or Glenmorangie for that matter. All 3 do a range of options for different budgets and different flavours.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just go down the supermarket and pick the nicest looking box.

paul4stones

Laphroig, Talisker or my new fave this year, Bruchladdich.

Sandwich

My favourite is Bruichladdich 17 but it's a bit pricey.

Gary_C

Just enjoying a nip of Bruichladdich at the mo as it happens!

Can also recommend Talisker,Old Pulteney,Ancnoc,I could go on,but just get yourself down to Byrnes at Clitheroe.

Can guarantee you'll not come away empty handed. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Bushmills Malt is a very nice, smooth drop.

He should like that if he likes Glenfiddich.

Trekster

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but what would you buy a Jack Daniels drinker as a starter whisky?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Good Malt Whiskey For Dad’ is closed to new replies.