Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a good large seat bag….
  • Jackass123456789
    Free Member

After a shoulder op I find wearing a back pack very uncomfortable ( feels like the straps are made of thorns) and have resorted to using water bottles, a small seat pack and pockets for the essentials.

Now I have built an all day road / cx bike I want a seat bag to carry my things like a jacket, food, spare tube and tools and even the bare essentials if I do an overnighter (credit card style).

I like the look of the revelate ones but seem they may be a little difficult to get hold off and pricey
    Wildcat ones look good and uk based, reasonable to higher price but maybe worth it if the quality is high
    Polish Bikepack looks good, again non uk so could again be a little hassle getting hold of
    Finially Ortlieb large classic looks good, not sure on total carry size but price seems good.

Any recommendations or any I have missed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Look at the smaller carradice ones

loum
    Free Member

There’s some fairly big frame/handlebar bags on sportpursuit at the mo’.
    Can’t remember the make, but about 50% off so worth a look.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Before you completely disregard backpacks, I’d have a good look at Wingnut packs. The harness design puts the weight on your hips, they are very stable and extremely comfortable in my experience. If not, I’ve had some experience with Wildcat and think they are fantastic.

tinribz
    Free Member

Use a Carradice zipped roll. Large enough for a small camera, light weight jacket, pump tools and squashed cheese sarnies. Small enough to stop you taking the kitchen sink. I’ve a Camper long-flap for tours and a Junior spare if your interested (£20), not used it because it’s bigger than I thought and I just the Camper instead. You need to splash out on a support but they work for all the bags.

Alternatively you can get a bar bag, which are about the right size, and find a seat post adapter to mount it on.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve got an ortlieb roll top saddle bag. 4 litre capacity.

You could also look at an alpkit dry bag and velcro straps it would work with an 8 litre one.

STATO
    Free Member

The bike-packing style ones are not really what you want for day rides, too bulky and not easy to get into.

[edit] I actually have the bikepack.pl one and a wildcat tiger [/edit]

Consider getting a frame bag or partial frame bag, Revelate do the tangle (easy to buy direct or there is a UK importer) or maybe alpkit, theirs will be custom so you can get it the size/shape you need. Means you can leave the current seat pack on all the time with the essentials in (tools, tube, etc.)

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Used a Carridice SQR Tour. Really like the fusion of trad materials and modern design. Works too.

chudsy
    Free Member

I use a sqr tour for commuting and really like it. Have tools and spares in one side pouch, lights and a snack in ther and there is enough room for a change of clothes and shoes in main section with a separate pocket for wallet keys and phone. The side pouches are not the most secure things ever but I’ve not lost anything yet.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Agree with chudsy on security of side pockets. I put loose stuff in small bags (old tent peg bag/little poly bag/drybag) to prevent losing things. I’ve never lost anything though when I’ve forgotten to bother.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Also, with a roll mat bungied on top and coupled with an old (small) Camelbak MULE, it’s good for bike bivvying.

PMK2060

Frame bags are not ideal if you want to carry water bottles. The bikepack.eu saddlebags are good but for everyday use a large topeak saddlebag should be ok.

STATO
    Free Member

Frame bags are not ideal if you want to carry water bottles.

Manage fine on my road/tourer/cross bikes (which is what the OP has), plus with the alpkit one you can customise the fit. Rear bottle can be more difficult with a full bag but you just stop and swap them over.

PIc of mine…

Crosscheck by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Thanks guys, lots of food for thought there, STATO what saddle bag is that?

STATO
    Free Member

Thats my Bikepack.pl one. Its ok, especially for the price, but not the most refined.

footstomper
    Free Member

Jackass123456789 I have a couple of decent size saddle bags I no longer use, if you are interested I will get them out tonight and send photos & descriptions.

SimonR

Just bought a Revelate Tangle (small one) and a Wildcat Tiger. Between them thsy should carry enough for a couple of overnights (not camping though!) with only a minimal load on my back (bladder, waterproof plus snacks).

Links …..

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=1&ProductID=5

http://wildcatgear.co.uk/products/seat-packs/

Both are very well made, fitting is excellent (easy and very stable) – they’ll get their first proper outing this weekend 🙂

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Wildcat Gear’s Tiger and Mountain Lion are both reviewed in next issue’s Grinder. Sneak preview: they’re good 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good large seat bag….’ is closed to new replies.