Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend me a good decongestant?
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Are decongestants just snake oil or is there one out there that works? I got man flu which i am treating with MTFU but my one blocked nostril is so annoying that i am contemplating using a masonary bit and cordless drill to get my cement like snot out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dymista.
    https://www.drugs.com/dymista.html

I’ve been prescribed it prior to – and following – an op on my nose. It’s good shit, man.

Dunno if you can get it over the counter or if the active ingredient is in anything else OTC.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Otrivine – does the trick for my perennial rhinitis.

Xylometazoline works better for me than oxymetazoline. YMMV.

Vader
    Free Member

Just breath steam – put some hot water in a bowl, put a towel over your head and then lean over the bowl to make a ‘tent’ It works really well, breath in through mouth and out through nose, or vice versa.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve been prescribed it prior to – and following – an op on my nose. It’s good shit, man.

Dunno if you can get it over the counter or if the active ingredient is in anything else OTC.

Contains fluticasone propionate. Also found in Boots Allergy Relief 50 microgram Nasal Spray.

Rachel

takisawa2

Sudafed nasal spray.

onandon
    Free Member

Anything spicy. Have a Thai curry and you’ll see the snot fly.

TimP
    Free Member

A tawny port helps. 2 large glasses/bottles and you won’t care, you cant breathe out your nose and the headache the next day will take your mind off your blocked nose

scaled
    Free Member

Otrivine gives me TERRIBLE rebound congestion, like pain, lots of pain.

Flaperon

Anything with pseudoephedrine in it. It’s only available over the counter from pharmacies IIRC but I think that might be because you can turn it into methamphetamine a la Breaking Bad.

Phenylephedrine (your general cold / flu decongestant) has no effect on nasal congestion, a meta-study revealed recently.

Otrivine works, but you don’t want to become dependent on it.

bungle

Chilli Vodka, instant cure – for about 15 minutes, then repeat

globalti
    Free Member

Just take hay fever tabs, they will dry up the runny nose and make the cold more bearable.

blader1611
    Free Member

I once had chilli vodka and it ruined my night out as after one shot i couldnt stop the hiccups for the next 2 hours, in the end i went home early.
    I had curry last night but it did nothing so i reckon a thai one might be better.
    I have had very limited success with steam, it seems to give temporary relief for about ten minutes which is great but it then bungs up. Is there a snot viscosity metre as i swear mine is so thick its nearly solid.

Will give one of the nasal spray suggestions a go tomorrow if its not improved.

avdave2

Before you take anything try stopping taking any dairy products. I noticed a big difference in how congested a cold would make me when I gave them up and it seems to be a factor for quite a lot of people.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve been addicted to nasal sprays since I was 18 and have used them throughout the day every day for 25 years.

The only one that works for me these days is Sudafed nasal spray. I have about 4 bottles of it on the go right now. Bloody shame as I go through two bottles a week and its the most bloody expensive!!!

retro83
    Free Member

Yep, this.

tinybits
    Free Member

Sudafed spray +1. Unlike steam, chilli vodka etc you can do it anywhere. Work, driving, on the bike etc.

An give an odd dry mouth feeling but it’s better than not being able to breath…

seosamh77
    Free Member

beconase (or ask for the cheap version called Beclometasone, will save you a few quid for the same thing.)

Techincally for hayfever and rhinitis, but works really well with a blocked nose..

acidtest
    Free Member

@loddrik

I’ve been addicted to nasal sprays since I was 18 and have used them throughout the day every day for 25 years.

The only one that works for me these days is Sudafed nasal spray. I have about 4 bottles of it on the go right now. Bloody shame as I go through two bottles a week and its the most bloody expensive!!!

I had a similar problem. I ended it by taking pseudoephedrine (sudafed tablets) for a couple of weeks which resulted in my sinuses not needing the nasal spray to breath. Obviously you’re only supposed to take them for a few days continuously but I thought it was worth the risk. Not saying you should do the same, but it worked for me. Good luck, I know what a bitch it is.

acidtest
    Free Member

Also, sida cordifolia is a good alternative to pseudoephedrine but do some research before using it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve had a stinking cold this last week and Otrivine with Menthol has been amazing.

Morrisons own brand Lemsips were good too. Still have a heavy cough but feel better.

edhornby

Otrivine is great, but wait until the infection is gone, then use it to clear out because it’s not recommended for constant use, anything more than 4 or 5 doses you stop and do something else.

Cougar

Just breath steam

Get a little pot of menthol crystals from the pharmacist and drop a couple in the hot water. (You may want to close your eyes.)

Anything with pseudoephedrine in it. It’s only available over the counter from pharmacies IIRC

Sudafed is pseudoephedrine (hydrochloride IIRC). There are generics which are as good.

Trekster

Get a little pot of menthol crystals from the pharmacist and drop a couple in the hot water. (You may want to close your eyes.)

MrsTs go to fix… bowl of boiled water and crystals in the bedroom before bed.
    As advised, close eyes 😯 💡

orangeorange
    Free Member

I had a similar problem. I ended it by taking pseudoephedrine (sudafed tablets) for a couple of weeks which resulted in my sinuses not needing the nasal spray to breath. Obviously you’re only supposed to take them for a few days continuously but I thought it was worth the risk. Not saying you should do the same, but it worked for me. Good luck, I know what a bitch it is.
    I was exactly the same for years,totally reliant upon decongestants and costing me a small fortune.Managed to get my GP to prescribe Fluticasone,took it over a few weeks and it`s completely cured my problem.Havent used a decongestant in the last year since.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Surfing, especially a dumping day in the winter. Equally good for hangovers, colds and PMT prone women!

slackalice
    Free Member

Bi carbonate of soda. One heaped teaspoon in a glass of warm water. Morning and evening and midday if required.

It’s all to do with raising your alkalinity and is much cheaper than the stuff peddled by the Pharma drug dealers.

Being very aware of the groundswell of support for all things sciencey and pharma’s being the saviour for our ills on here, please try it and report back 🙂

avdave has it too with the cutting out of dairy products.

Oh, and read this:
    Excellent resource from Amazon

darrell
    Free Member

YUP – pseudoephedrine works a treat – buy it in Boots

but if you get drug tested after a bike race you are in trouble

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Sudafed and other sprays like it can cause a significant nasal problem if used for more than a few days. Google rhinitis medicamentosa…. sounds like we have a few addicts here. I’d avoid. Also they are basically adrenaline .

Dymista or Sterimar.

vorlich
    Free Member

Surprised nobody else has suggested auto-water boarding AKA a neti pot.
    Very effective at flushing out grot, hot as you can stand it, I sometimes add a dash of tea tree oil.
    Use it several times a day when full of the cold, also good to use daily if you suffer with allergies, hay fever, etc

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

good call – sterimar is much the same with less faffage

mahalo

blimey, nice to know im not alone in my dependence on Sudafed nasal spray!!

by the sounds of it im not as bad as @loddrik, but until ive had a hit first thing in the morning im useless. ill usually need another dose around midday and another in the evening, this fluctuates at different times of year. its been like for this a couple of years now, I also have several on the go. one on my person, in the car, by my bed… but i have noticed just a micro squeeze will have as a satisfactory effect as a full plunge tho, so they do last a lot longer now..

sounds like i need to give Fluticasone a go!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Your nose is almost certainly basically addicted to it… and the spray is causing the problems… I really don’t understand why they still sell it. Probably the non-painkiller drug we see absued the most. Good luck.

retro83
    Free Member

Most packs are phenylepherine, only the behind the counter ones are pseudoephedrine 8)

nickc

saline always does the trick for me, safe, no rebound, no dose limit.

Cougar

Being very aware of the groundswell of support for all things sciencey

You’re… against science?

Most packs are phenylepherine, only the behind the counter ones are pseudoephedrine

Ah, fair enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saline/Sterimar has worked for me too, was prescribed it after that nose op actually – good for getting the grot out.

slackalice
    Free Member

No dear cougs, I’m not….against science.

But not everything needs to be resolved by science. Not everything is nice and safe and black and white. There are lots of shades of grey, well at least 50 😉

Reading through the various side affects from habitual decongestant use is a clue. Reading through the long lists of possible side effects from any manufactured pharmaceutical drug is a bigger clue. Especially when people are taking a litany of pills to counter the side effects created by the previous pill.

But if it makes you feel better, fill yer boots with medicine.

ninfan
    Free Member

I just want to thank the posters on this thread for the best nights sleep I have had in about five weeks, after trying out the otrivine nasal spray.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good decongestant?’ is closed to new replies.