• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a good camping light.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Off for a three day affair of car camping with no leccy! Due a new main light for the tent, any recommendations?? Cheers in advance!!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I like butane/propane lights, but that’s because I also use butane/propane stoves.

LED lights, with their lower power consumption are attractive propositions.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Do like the sound of an old school gas light!!

alfabus
    Free Member

Gas lamps are good and bright, but can be a right mare to pack, due to the fairly brittle glass lens. We (by which I mean, my hamfisted missus) have broken 3 of the cursed things!

I can wholeheartedly not recommend a wind up lantern from tesco, by the way. Biggest waste of 5 quid ever. Provides just about enough light to be able to find the off switch and throw it in the bin.

Dave

dyls

This, very bright. Silverpoint also do the same one, thats the one I have from Cotswolds

Alpkit Light

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I take a a small leisure battery with a few 12v fluorescent. Also great for charging phones and running music players etc

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Alpkit style lamp. I got mine from Deal Extreme.

simon_g

Alpkit bulb is fine for our small tent. We have a headtorch each for reading or nighttime loo visits too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You can buy light defusers for some feninx touches that look like a sex toy. That way you get three items, a touch, lantern and a sex toy.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/accessories.html

chrisdw
    Free Member

The alpkit ones are a bit small for lighting a whole tent.

These are very good… http://amzn.to/KVbTwT

jonny-m
    Free Member

I got a led one from Argos last week and it’s awesome, rechargeable and bright as ****.
    Cost about £30 have a look in their catalogue or on the website. It has loads of good reviews and rightly so

TuckerUK
    Free Member

We have a headtorch each for reading or nighttime loo visits too.

Oh yeah, can’t beat a headtorch in some situations.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

due to the fairly brittle glass lens. We (by which I mean, my hamfisted missus) have broken 3 of the cursed things!

I’ve had my EPIGas 3011HP Gas Cartridge Lantern for over 15 years, still on the same lens. I don’t treat it with kid gloves either.

chaos

If you’re going with the other half, a candle lantern provides a more romantic atmosphere. 😉

monkeyp

I got a fantastic solar led one from (of all places) Ikea! Big red folding thing with a huge array of lights absolutely great and about a tenner I believe.

csb

Not sure what the risk is with gas lamps but careful of using anything that burns in tents. A fire in the doorway isn’t funny, neither is carbon monoxide poisoning.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Agreed re the CO poisoning, have a gas burner heater thing which is only allowed in the awning/porch bit and goes off the minute anyone hits the sleeping bag! Will look at the recommendations and invest in a coupla cheap head torches for the tribe I reckon. Thanks again.

colournoise

Headtorches plus a cheapish wind-up LED lantern that charges in the car on the journey there and then the winder just keeps it topped up.

Similar to this – http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/survival-accessories/led-torches-lanterns/cyba-lite-mini-wind-up-led-lantern-625331.html

Wouldn’t want to use anything gas/flame based in a modern tent.

slainte 😀 rob

tonyplym
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the Alpkit light suggested earlier – they drain the batteries ever so slowly, so if you pack it away at the end of a camping season expect the batteries to be flat and to have leaked by the time you come around to trying to use it again the following year.

Muke
    Free Member

I would recommend Wilkinsons UFO lights

or have a search on http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk equipment forums

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good camping light.’ is closed to new replies.