• This topic has 29 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a good autobiography please…
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

I like reading about other people’s lives, probably cos my own is a bit boring! Loved Julian Cope’s Head On, and looking to read Richard Burton’s diaries. Not interested in cyclists, cos all they do all day is ride bikes. Writers, comedians and musicians seem to write the best ones? Cheers

scud
    Free Member

Anthony Kiedis from RHCP was a good one.

If you want a really funny one, find Dom Joly’s, funniest thing i have read in a while

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive not read it, but I do read the Private Eye. And in all my years as a subscriber they have NEVER given a book a favourable review. Except for this one. So I might consider reading it one day.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Klunk
    Free Member

the Diary of a Young Girl — Anne Frank
    the autobiography of malcolm x
    just kids — patti smith
    down and out in paris and london — george orwell
    papillon

Klunk
    Free Member

oh and any of the spike milligans

Stoner
    Free Member

down and out in paris and london — george orwell

Just not when you’re “In between jobs”. It can be a bit depressing then 😉

great book though otherwise. On my favourites list.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Some good stuff here, ta. Read Frankie Boyles recently (found it in a pub). Didn’t know he used to work in a Mental Health institution or work as an English teacher! No wonder he’s such a misanthrope!

stever
    Free Member

Just finished David Mitchell’s on holiday, that was alright, he writes a lot like he talks. Part way into Johnny Dawes now, very amusing if you’re at all into climbing.

Garry_Lager

Samuel Delany’s one is exceptional – The motion of light on water.

About him growing up in New York in the 60s as a young, gay, black science fiction writer (and going on to be one of the best the field has ever seen).

jamiep
    Free Member

Alan Partridge, but in audiobook format!

oldnpastit

Alan Clark Diaries.

Great read, very honest, quite sad towards the end.

binners

For shear out and out debauchery, this is brilliant

Its really interestingly written. The same events are described by the different members of the band, one of whom saw it through a haze of smack, another coked out of his head, the other an alchoholic, and one addicted to prescription drugs. Needless to say, their perceptions of events are rather different. Its hilarious! Apart from people dying in drug fuelled car crashes

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Mr Blue by Edward Bunker. All other autobiographies will seem very tedious after that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Yeah, read that one Binners. Brilliant stuff. Got a good list here now! 🙂

theotherjonv

I know you said not cyclists because all they do is ride bikes, but Tyler Hamilton’s, which goes deeply into the LA years was a very good read, and surprisingly little about actual bike riding.

camo16
    Free Member

Groucho Marx – Memoirs of a Mangy Lover

Less debauched than Mottley Crue, but with more jokes.

hot_fiat

All three of Obama’s books. I read Chris Evans’ first one cover-to-cover on a flight to LA, second one is almost but not quite as good. I’ve got Lance Armstrong’s unread work of fiction cluttering up the loft if you want that?

MSP

The moons a balloon, David Niven

Hollywood really was very different then, and the stars really were stars.

andeh

Not so much an autobiography, but a great book about a strange man, by another strange man.

It’s about Hunter S. Thompson and his relationship with illustrator Ralph Steadman, by the way.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Kieth Richard ” my life in the beatles ”

binners

Frank Skinner’s is really good. He had a very, very interesting life before he made it onto telly. His stories of years spent gigging around working mens clubs are brilliant. One of the few books I’ve read that had my laughing out loud right through it

DezB
    Free Member

organic355
    Free Member

rewski
    Free Member

blake – peter ackroyd

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for Milligan, should be compulsorary reading in schools!

Paul Carter – Don’t tell mum I work on the oil rigs, she thinks I’m a piano player in a whore house. The only book I’ve actualy wet myself laughing whilst reading. Possibly a bit low brow for STW, but very very funny.

Eric Cantona’s is a good read, and Martin Johnson.

Read Riss*, Taylor Hamiltons and Caverndish’s recently, all good too if you like the background behind why cycling is the way it is, very little bike riding in any of them (because they’re roadies, it’d be longer than the bible and contain more pain and suffering if they did).

*maybe he’s a good guy, but quite probably a douche if you look at the book factualy (left his wife and family for a yopunger model, doped, lied, doped some more, lied, eventualy came out when someone thretened to put it beyond doubt) rather than his account.

pondo

If you want cycle-related, I love – love – Michael Hutchinson’s The Hour. And it’s a biography rather than an autobiography, but In Search Of Robert Millar is fantastic. As is the David Millar one – racing through the night? Or dark, or seomthing?

verses

Roald Dahl’s “Boy” and “Going Solo” are worth reading. The former reads more like one of his kids stories (not necessarily a bad thing) but the latter tells interesting tales of his time in the WW2.

rickmeister

John Simpson on the BBC has a couple of books out that I enjoyed reading, world events and leaders, turning points in history, he’s seen a lot of things…

Haze

Sean Yates?

bigG
    Free Member

Ranulph Fiennes – Mad Bad and Dangerous to know. It’s a cracking read, he is a bit of a nutter really.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good autobiography please…’ is closed to new replies.