Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a gillet
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking for something that isn’t a stuff in the back pocket emergency item.

Seen a few castelli’s for around 90 quid, but anything cheaper that is any good.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Endura flipjak is quite nice, but properly warm so more of a winter only item.
    It can *just* be squeezed into a large jersey pocket if you do overheat.

mjsmke

I bought an Altura one for about £30 that I think is great. Mesh back and windproof front. Plain looking with a few reflective strips.

honourablegeorge

Got a nice alpinestats one on CRC in the sale

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve a morvelo gilet that I can’t fault at all. Fits well, Nd just doesn’t seem to wear out

jam-bo

I got one of those really cheap amazon deal Gore Path’s last year for £30.

not sure i’d pay the £90 RRP but it is really good.

allfankledup

Gore bikewear element – in a lovely shade of blue. Used it loads, minimal wear, keeps the breeze out effectively. Might be a bit warm in some areas of the country – but in Scotland so that is not an issue 🙁

rocketman
    Free Member

I bought an Altura one for about £30 that I think is great. Mesh back and windproof front. Plain looking with a few reflective strips.

+1 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-etape-gilet-1/

s1m0n
    Free Member

I picked up a Rivelo one recently off Sports Pursuit. £35 and been useful for cooler early morning rides and is water resistant enough for a few light showers.

matt_outandabout

I just got a Tog24 jacket/convertable from Rutland for £17, so far it is fab.

benp1

The two I use the most, mainly for commuting, is a Rapha one and a Morvelo one

Both in the sale at the moment, both good. The Morvelo one is less of a fold up and put in your pocket type job, in fact it has three pockets on the back.

They’re both ace. I have 5 gilets for cycling though, I’m a gilet fan! (Convertible jackets on top of that!)

akira

Rapha here as well and it’s lovely. They have a sale on currently so starting around £60.

MoreCashThanDash

Rapha ones come up on ebay quite often. Though at the moment, my Rapha one feels rather like a Victorian ladies corset, and I’m far more comfortable in my Fat Lad At the Back gilet. 😳

big_n_daft
    Free Member

lusso Nitelife is my next gilet purchase

Kamakazie

For MTB I like my Intrepid apparel one. If I was looking for a road one I’d go with the Galibier.

Haze

Seen a few castelli’s for around 90 quid

Perfetto?

Nice gilet, got me through last winter with a decent pair of arm warmers and a buff

stevious

THanks to this thread I just bought a Rapha gilet as I’ve been looking for one with pockets that comes in a small enough size.

Really don’t understand why manufacturers insist on making gilets so baggy.

lunge

I have a number, all good in various ways.
    A tiny Decathlon job that almost permanently lives in my pocket. Small, windproof, shower proof and weighs nothing.
    A slightly thicker, more waterproof, mesh backed Pearl Izumi thing that is my default spring/autumn top. Small enough to fit in a jersey pocket if needed.
    A thicker again Giordana thing, less waterproof but much warmer, can fit in a pocket if pushed but it’s a bit bulky.
    And some Rapha to finish, a freebie from Manchester to London, waterproof, very good protection but just a bit bulky. It’s my crap weather option.

As you can see, I do like a gilet.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Really don’t understand why manufacturers insist on making gilets so baggy.

[FlameShield]Because 90% of the UK/US population are chubsters and wail like babies when brands make clothing to fit cyclists.[/FlameShield]

dragon
    Free Member

For road use then Castelli Perfetto would be my choice every time. Its too nice for mtbing though, for that I’d get something cheaper from Castelli, Sportful or whoever..

lunge

[FlameShield]Because 90% of the UK/US population are chubsters and wail like babies when brands make clothing to fit cyclists.[/FlameShield]

He’s right you know.

rOcKeTdOg

Gore active here, perfect as its wind and waterproof. Ideal in summer showers when its warm and you keep your core dry, wet arms soon dry

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I use an Intrepid Apparel Pioneer for the cooler months. Warm, nice details, nice cut and very water resistant. Not a jacket for use when it’s over 20 degrees, but great bit of kit.

25% off if you sign-up to their mail list at the mo.

Otherwise got a much lighter North Face Flight gilet which I run in whenever things look a little inclement, and is small enough to go in a back pocket. Well cut and thought out – also a great bit of kit.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i asked similar last year for road use. i bought a schutt one, new but cheap on ebay (look for sale ones too), and it is very good. well made and stuffs down nicely. i often slip it on as i begin the 2mile or so downhill to my house in winter. its like a ripstop material so i would use it on an mtb as well.

i also bought, again cheaply off ebay, a castelli fawesome which for road use i prefer. stuffs into back pocket nicely, fits close (the schutt is looser), and is nice and warm without being too hot. i did a ride last week where i got into thick drizzle so slipped it on over my perfetto and was lovely and comfortable.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bought http://www.merlincycles.com/altura-peloton-transformer-windproof-cycling-jacket-101689.html the other week for ~£28 after cashback, wore it to work the other day, bit warm even for an overcast summer day but should be fine ~Sept-Apr.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like my Endura Laser. So much so I bought two, a black one for MTB and a fluro one for the road. £20something in the sale but only £30ish normally.

IMO gilets don’t need to be expensive gore-tex stuff, it’s got two big holes to breath out of!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Also a fan of the Intrepid gillet on the MTB. It’s pretty much my go to on top bit of kit for probably 6 months of the year.

sandal100

Another Intrepid fan here, used mine for a long time and still looks new.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a gillet’ is closed to new replies.