Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a Geax / Vittoria tyre for winter woodland fun
  • jairaj

I need some new tyres and I can get a good deal on Vittoria tyres so thought I would give them a go but I’m not sure which ones to go for.

I have two bikes both need new tyres. First bike is a full suss bike used of a bit of everything but mostly technical XC riding (Enduro). The second bike is short travel hardtail used for normal XC riding.

Both bikes use 26″ wheels and both are usually used in woodland conditions with lots of wet roots and wet muddy soil ranging from clay to looser loamier type soil. There are more wet roots than deep mud so not sure if a typical mud tyre is the correct choice.

I am specifically looking for winter tyres, I’m happy with the current tyres which work well in dry and intermediate conditions just looking for something to use for intermediate to wet conditions typically found over winter.

I’m pretty sure a Goma is the correct tyre for the full suss but not sure about the hardtail. The bike will be ridden less aggressively so I think I can get away with a better rolling tyre.

Any one have experience with Geax / Vittoria tyres and recommend something suitable for my needs?

jairaj

The Vittoria website is a little confusing. The text for Gato suggests its the go to winter tyre but on the graphs the Barzo and Peyote have better wet grip.

asbrooks

I asked a similar question a month ago seeing as on-one had a load of Geax tyres for not much money. The consensus was, not to bother.
    I bought some maxxis beavers instead.

jairaj

Ah that’s a bit disappointing.

The Beavers were also on my radar as I normally ride Maxxis tyres. How are you finding them? Do you ride in similar terrain to me?

andymc06
    Free Member

Bought a Datura from On-one for £9.99 and I’m impressed. 2.2 mud and wet conditions tyre, spike tread pattern, sticky compound, tubeless ready and thick sidewalls. 850g ish. May be a bit much for what you are doing but I have it on the back of my c456 evo and it’s fine. Such a bargain I bought another and a DHEA for downhill duties. Worth a punt at that price.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I think On One are doing the Geax Barro TNT for a tenner. The 2.3 is their sticky compound and it’s a really really good tyre. The 2.1 Gato is (in my experience) bobbins

jairaj

Bought a Datura from On-one for £9.99 and I’m impressed. 2.2 mud and wet conditions tyre, spike tread pattern,

Interesting, I can’t find this on their website. Do spike tread tyres work well on roots?

I think On One are doing the Geax Barro TNT

This one is listed on their website as dry, hardpack tyre. Not sure its going to be suitable for my needs? I’m looking for proper wet weather tyre.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

My experience of the Barro sticky compound is that it doesn’t clear that well but grips really well – better on rooty stuff than other tyres I’ve tried. The Gato is the opposite – clears brilliantly but bugger all actual grip

votchy
    Free Member

I am running a pair of Daturas tubeless, good grip in the mud, roll surprisingly well on tarmac and with the tubeless setup they wrap round and grip on wet roots too, very impressed with them so far.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

First trip out on 2.1 Gato TNTs at the weekend; They really don’t like wet roots.Plenty of grip everywhere else though, and pretty quick. Maybe they just need scrubbing in? I’ll live in hope for a couple of weeks…

jairaj

Thanks for the help guys. I think I’m sticking to a Goma for the more aggro bike and going to try the Barzo on the more XC bike.

The Datura has got some very good reviews which suggest its a good DH tyre so I think it might be a bit too slow for my use? I’m going to try the Goma first and if I find that lacking go for the Datura.

The Barzo is a new tyre and seems to be a more aggressive version of the Barro and more suitable for varied conditions. Its new and I can’t find any reviews so going to take a leap of faith on this.

smokey_jo

Gato 2.3 on wet rocks? It won’t end well. Apparently they’re sensitive to pressure because of stiff sidewalls. Not sure if I’m brave enough to experiment – they were trying to bloirdy kill me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Geax / Vittoria tyre for winter woodland fun’ is closed to new replies.