Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a futon
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

I once slept on a friend’s futon and it was the comfiest thing ever. Now looking to buy one and no idea what would be best.

I’d like one with a nice heavy downy feeling mattress, can anyone suggest one that might suit?

Ta

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ikea – I have one here I can barely lift.
    Only issue is struggling to get guests to leave!

z1ppy

I was under the impression, that you had a futon so guests wouldn’t stay 😳

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sorry no help – just to echo that a good thick futon is (for me) miles ahead of a sprung mattress for a solid nights kip. We bought such a one in the US and used it for about a year without missing a sleep. Conversely bought one of those 99 quid pine slatted frame ones in the UK and we had to ditch the frame as the futon itself was so thin that the slats hoofed you in the ribs. Now looking for a decent affordable one from UK supplier. I’d gladly replace both our bed and the guest bed with good futons.

watching this thread.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

We had a futon with a proper traditional textile fibre mattress for 5 or 6 years. It was really comfy, but only for a little while. You have to beat it regularly to decompress the fill, and as it ages this becomes something you need to do more and more often. It’s only then you realise it’s bloody heavy, and a total pain in the arse, adding yet another task to the long list of domestic chores. What’s worse, is that beyond a certain point, it doesn’t matter how much you beat it, it’s never as comfortable again.

br
    Free Member

If the futon you slept on was better than your beds mattress, you need a new mattress.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Had three futons over the years, each one more expensive than the last. No amount of shaking, folding, vertically stacking and rolling could make any of them retain the initial level of comfort for more than three days.

Do yourself a favour and get a decent pocket-spring mattress.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Futon is for the guest room which doubles up as a play room where we need space 98% of the time so it’s a futon or just a roll up mattress. I’ll check Ikea for somethimg heavy cheers.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Probably what you’re looking for is the stiffest pocket sprung mattress you can get your hands on to get that futon like feel. Now and again you see a nice silent night one on the likes of tesco direct for half price.

I’ve tried ikea for a mattress for my 20 stone but nothing they sell is stiff enough.

I’ve heard of people experimenting with compost grow bags with a camping mat on top as a futon.

You’d have to carefully explain your new sleeping arrangements with the o/h incase she thinks that you’re trying to fertilizer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a futon’ is closed to new replies.