Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Recommend me a FUN but simple bike – a true smile machine
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

I have an amazing Evil full suss that covers most of my riding, but i’m afater something for general local mucking about on, winter riding, and tips out with the kids

A simple and straight forwrad hardtail that above all else is just FUN to ride and just makes you smile wherever you ride it

Ideally needs to be fairly cheap to build up as well as confidence inspiring enough to ride at the odd trail centre.

Holy grail? – surely there must be something that fits the bill

Was thinking something like a Stooge but was slightly worried at 6ft about the fit

Whats that one FUN bike that makes you SMILE big time every time you ride it?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bmx 😀

pigyn
    Free Member
    Duffer
    Free Member

You need a rigid singlespeed. My Inbred cost around £1200 to build, including most things from the Hope catalogue and some right-on-trend 35mm rims.

No suspension to service, no gears to fail… Just oil and ride.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Krampus?

bearnecessities

I’d say an old explosif with P2s, but I’m stuck in 1994 🙂

iffoverload
    Free Member

some kind of 4X type bike with a long enough seatpost. wheelies bunnyhops silly tricks and trial moves all day, too small to do any serious distance on but that is not the point is it 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

any of these would be a hoot.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=174482

I always hankered after a DMR bolt as an SS.
    I prefer riding SS, even at trail centres. But generally also only ride fully rigid. I reckon these would be a hoot.

Or an Evil Sovereign. Used to be a dream bike, one of the nicest looking frames, but now looking back they seem quite dated and often copied, now with sensible larger wheel sizes too 🙂

binners

Everyone should own a Santa Cruz Chameleon at some point. They’re like an over-sized BMX. Without doubt the most fun bike ever made. The grin factor goes up to eleven! 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

A £1200 inbred!!!??? Shirley you mean £120….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fat bike. Obviously.

survivor

Some sort of steel rigid mtb.

Clink

Stooge.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Singular Swift.

kayak23

5thElefant – Member
    Fat bike. Obviously

I concur.

kerley
    Free Member

Everyone should own a Santa Cruz Chameleon at some point. They’re like an over-sized BMX

Agree. I had one about 10 years ago setup single speed and it was great fun, probably the best frame I have had for messing around on

bubs

Boring but true – Mk1 pre-CEN Soul. I have a number of bikes but this is the most “bike like” one of them all. Tow kids, local bimble, xc blast, winter hack, tech slayer, big bike alternative for proper hills….
    Other bikes have come and gone but my (rusty and battered) Soul is still there, quietly doing most things well and just getting on it with it.
    You can probably pick up a Mk1 for peanuts now too.

mrhoppy

I’m about 6′ and find the stooge to be fine fit wise.

It’s a fantastic bike, to the point I’m having to make a conscious effort to ride my full suss more before my Alps trip in the summer as by default I pick the stooge for just about everything. Its the bike that makes me smile and the mirror black version looks lush.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member
    dovebiker

Rigid SS plus bike like a Krampus or Stooge.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Voodoo Wazoo, or one of the last few remaining Calibre Dunes for £493 this Easter weekend.

Or if you like building bikes, make something from an £89 Fatty Trail frame before 31/3/2016.

To conclude, fatbike ftw. \o/

fattyre500
    Free Member

I’m six foot and i’ve got a on one inbred which fits really well.Love riding it and have it set up with a on one rigid fork and big 2.5 tyres (tons of space for big tyres in the frame and forks) its not a fat bike maybe more semi-skimmed !!I’ve got a full susser but for simple fun the inbred is great and has a lot of fans among the steel lovers.Build it up yourself with bargain but good bits and you’ll be grinning like a cheshire cat everytime you ride it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Fat-BMX-Rigid-Singlespeed

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Or a Transition Klunker,needs some skills though!

https://vimeo.com/51119615

takisawa2

Calibre Dune & a singlespeed kit.
    £600.
    Job done.

Or a Stache.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Fat bike, rigid and budget, so Dune, Wazoo or 90 quid Fatty Trail build.

Seeing a pattern yet?

ajantom

Surly Krampus – more smiles per mile than any other bike I’ve owned. Amazingly capable, but also great to ride.

I also own a Transistion Klunker as mentioned above, while it’s a riot, it’s also very unforgiving on anything other than smooth trails! I’ve fallen off a lot whilst riding it, usually while laughing though!

NormalMan

Singlespeed Pug?

rOcKeTdOg

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

womble321
    Free Member

Specialized fuse,spot on & very fun

rustybolt
    Free Member

The Marin Pine Mountain 1 above is good simple , low maintenance fun , having played on mine for the last few days .. 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

very nearly bought a PM1 just on the strength of how “right” it looks (and harking back to the bikes I started riding) but went full-fat and love it. Sure the PM is a riot too.

andysredmini
    Free Member

The only correct answer is santacruz chameleon. Just as good on a canal tow path as it is flying 20ft gaps on a dh track.
    I have a 26″ and it brings a smile to my face every time I ride it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

rustybolt how are you getting on with it? Is it heavy? They look a nice simple fun bike.

scaredypants

Fat-BMX-Rigid-Singlespeed

I know there’s a niche missing from that, but I’m buggered if I can spot what it is 😀

thenorthwind

I know there’s a niche missing from that, but I’m buggered if I can spot what it is

Drop bars.

Fat-BMX-Rigid-Singlespeed-Gravelmonstercross

siwhite
    Free Member

Or if you like building bikes, make something from an £89 Fatty Trail frame before 31/3/2016.

Eh?

£150 on their website – unless there is a trick you’d share?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Looked at a Fuse and Loki and opted for the Norco Torrent , love it , just leaves me smiling every time I get my leg over 😉

rustybolt
    Free Member

@ rumbledethumps . I’ve not weighed it so no idea what it weighs but it probably is heavyish , but doesn’t feel heavy being ridden . I’m no weight weenie and it feels good to me so don’t really care . This bike for me was for general off road riding , less techy trails and faff free slightly floaty rigid riding . I need to start messing about with pressure in the (for me ) larger tyres as I haven’t really experimented yet , but apart from that it will be hassle free . I think it will be good for a wee bit of bike packing too , and the finish and look of the bike for the money is great .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a FUN but simple bike – a true smile machine’ is closed to new replies.