Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a full-face lid for occasional gnar
  • rossburton
    Free Member

As a XC rider who is going to BikePark Wales in a month the prospect of a full-face lid to protect my handsome face in case of the inevitable crash is quite tempting. My requirements:

1) I don’t fancy spending £200 on a Troy Lee that I’ll use a few times a year. CRC has a 661 Comp on sale for 50 quid which is much more like it. Let’s say <£100 ideally. However that leads to…
    2) Good venting. I’m a sweaty bastard and I consider my Mavic Notch XC helmet a bit warm.
    3) Mustn’t look like a total idiot if I wear it without goggles but with my glasses on (being short-sighted, that’s probably a good idea)

So, collective wisdom of the STW forums, what do you suggest?

kimbers

661 lids are absolutely fine

they are all a bit sweaty, if its just for uplift days I wouldnt worry about venting, especially if you are riding without goggles anyway

just make sure it fits snugly on your head , CRC is great as you get free returns to find a nice comfy one

sharkattack

My girlfriend picked one of these up in Les Gets this year “just in case”. It was about 90 quid and it’s a nice bit of kit. I’d have one myself if I needed one in a pinch.

O’NEAL WARP

rickon
    Free Member

Just buy a Bell Super 2R, I use mine for Downhill Uplift days and particularly technical Enduro races.

That way you get a lid you can use more than once or twice a year.

Anything you buy as a fullfacer will be hotter than an XC lid, and you won’t be comfortable riding in it other than Downhill.

I seem to remember Tweeks Cycles had the MIPS version going cheap.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ll admit that as I only threw away my old Xen and replaced it with the awesomely yellow Notch a few months ago, getting the Bell Super 2R would have been a good idea.

sideshow
    Free Member

I have a 661 comp, it’s fine downhill, but if I’m pedalling uphill it has to go over the bars not my face, way too hot.

I also now have a met parachute (new style). Obviously not ‘proper’ full face but much better ventilated. With the cheek pads out it’s hardly any warmer than an open face helmet and I’ll happily climb in it. With the cheek pads in I’ll climb a bit. So basically adding/removing the pads gives you an option similar to removing the chin guard on the bell super 2r. I did consider the latter but it doesn’t fit my head.

sideshow
    Free Member

Either way, I strongly suggest you try some on in a shop. Head shape varies from person to person, a good fit is essential if the helmet is to do its job properly, and just because someone else likes a helmet doesn’t mean it will fit you.

andyjh

I was looking at the same thing recently, full face for occasional BPW trips. I found everything less than £300 I tried on either uncomfortable and / or heavy. Eventually I bought the Bell Supper 2R and love it. It’s lighter than most full face plus I can use it all the time for my normal riding so I feel like I have value for money

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have just got a 661 Comp for Antur this weekend. I usually have a medium helmet, but had to plump for the larger one, just because of my hamster cheeks. CR free returns for the win on this. Paid £42 from CR for mine.

nickc

Either way, I strongly suggest you try some on in a shop.

TBH this is easier said than done, most high street bike shops don’t stock that many Full Face lids (trust me I tried), as most of their walk in trade these days is road based, and a lot of shops that do stock them have maybe 1 or 2 brands, and sell them so infrequently that they either a) don’t have many sizes in stock or b) sell only the top end version as if it’s going to be sitting on the shelf for a while, it better earn it’s keep with a big ticket sale.

For occasional use the 661 comp is great value, The foam gives a little over time, and you want a FF to be a bit tight, if your end the end of the size range, go down a size.

sideshow
    Free Member

Agreed on high street shops, though uplift centre shops tend to have them in. BPW shop is a bit pricey but the Forest of Dean one is cool.

Agreed about slightly tight unless your chin line is hanging below the bottom of the helmet, or the pads are pressing into your cheeks not on your jawbone, in which case it’s probably too small.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

O’neal Fury/warp fidlock

IF nothing else just for the ease of use.

Most full faces have a thread through type strap the O’neal’s have a natty magnetic one

deviant
    Free Member

Another vote for the 661-comp here, its nice looking (no garish graphics), decent price point and does the job….too hot to pedal uphill in though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Tweeks were doing Bell 2R’s for £113 a few months ago, MIPPS version, with the chin guard. Im sure the price was incorrect but got one anyway.

Price didnt stay ar £113 long though but you never know…

mikertroid
    Free Member

I got an Urge Down-O-Matic for about £70 and it’s really comfortable and seems light enough.

I’d try on a Bell 2R though as mentioned above you’d get more value out of it.

chillidave
    Free Member

I was in an identical position to you, wanting something for the occasional uplift trip and picked up a Bluesgrass Explicit for £36 from JE James. I’ve since used it at BPW and Åre, it’s vented pretty well, feels light enough and is a proper full face. I like it.

Sadly the explicit is sold out but they still have the Brave for a few quid more.

cakefacesmallblock

As a few have said 661 comp can be had for sensible money.
    My g/f uses one for all her riding, Xc, trail or gnar. She’s lucky and doesn’t break into a sweat often and light so doesn’t have to haul lard uphill. She bought it following a crash which hurt her bottom jaw and feels very comfy with it.
    I sweat for Britain and couldn’t ride all day in FF . I have a Bell Drop, which I bought two years ago in Halfords sale in store for £25. Great lid for d/h but hot. It’s a Cedric Gracia replica, which I always worry about because I’m rubbish and way more likely to need it , than ride well.

nickc

I found I couldn’t get the Urge to fit my head properly (too big) nice helmet if it fits though.

Northwind

The comp is ridiculous value but it is a bit of a sweaty bucket. Should be fine for downhill only but BPW does have a fair bit of pedalling too. It’ll do the job, it wouldn’t be my choice though, especially if you think you might use it for other stuff. I did a couple of enduro races in mine, really didn’t enjoy that, maybe I’m just that damn hot?

I really like my down-o-matic, it’s light and extremely well vented but I see the price has gone back up- mine was £70.

Re fit, it’s even more important for fullface so if you can’t try ’em on, find a shop with free returns!

rascal
    Free Member

661 Comp FTW – absolutely fine the amount of times I’ll get to use it.
    Fits my head fine and not too sweaty.

phil56

I’d like to find a home for this if anyone’s interested – offers considered!
    Met Parachute in Large

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a full-face lid for occasional gnar’ is closed to new replies.