Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a frame
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2007 Orange 5 with 2009 (I think) Rockshox Revelations 110-140mm on it and general decent XC type kit.

I want a hardtail frame onto which I can swap most if not all the bits, but it has to be as do-it-all as possible. Buy that I mean general XC, some bigger all-mountain stuff but also some road or trail use with slicks or semis.

I’d like it to be stretched out enough for road but also be able to deal with steep rocky bits.. Is this an impossible compromise?

Soul? 456?

letmetalktomark

The Soul is a very good ride indeed – well chuffed with my 2010 version.

Not ridden a 456 but again very good reviews.

How about a 2010 Pipedream Sirius? Again ride really nice with the option of SS if the mood takes you 😉

Sadly selling my 2010 Sirius to pay for my car 🙁 check out my ad in the classifieds if your interested?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Is this an impossible compromise?

No, I don’t think so. I have a Bianchi Mutt “do-it-all” bike. Even with rigid forks it always surprises me how good an “all round” bike it is. It is nice and light and a good pedaller so even with 2.1 knobblies on it is a pleasure to ride on road, but off-road it is very confidence inspiring. Ok, so it’s not rock-muncher, but I have a “big bike” for that. It’ll get down without being too nervy, I just can’t go at it like Steve Peat.

When I bought it it was very much a “euro style” XC bike, with narrow flat bars and a long stem. It was naff to be honest. Wider bars and a shorter stem have made it a brilliant do-it-all. I know this is hardly recommending you a frame, but just an assurance that you can get what you want 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…but if I was in the market I’d look at this

lyons
    Free Member

have a look at my ragley for sale in the classifieds…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ragley-mmbop-complete-bike-split

highclimber
    Free Member

P7, thread closed

Rickos
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes Prince Albert. Similar to 456 and Soul for reach, not as expensive as a Soul, but less ubiquitous than a 456. And Mike is good to deal with too.

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/prince-albert.php

flyingmonkeycorps

MmmBop would have to be worth consideration, especially if they’re still cheap on CRC.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I had a P7 from when they first came out – ’96. How different is the current one?

PA looks nice…

molgrips
    Free Member

Am interested in s/h frames but I’m 5’11 so it’s 18″ or 19″.. lyons, too small I’m afraid 🙂

letmetalktomark

molgrips – Member

Am interested in s/h frames but I’m 5’11 so it’s 18″ or 19″.. lyons, too small I’m afraid

If your interested check out the sizing of the Sirius.

http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_2010.html

I have my 19” built up with 120mm forks and 100mm stem for slogging in the saddle etc but the dimensions are very similar to my Soul which I run a 60mm stem on and 130mm forks.

lyons
    Free Member

Molgrips – I’m 5’11 as well, and 2 of my friends who ride the same frame that are a similar height.! If you look the top tube length is as long as alot of bigger frames, which just means you can use a short stem, but have to run more seatpost… WHich then makes the whole bike more chuckable

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be interested in a SS/geared frame… NOT because I want SS but for possible hub gear use.

molgrips
    Free Member

WHich then makes the whole bike more chuckable

It’s got to be usable for longer road efforts as well as off-road.. I’m not doing 4x on it!

letmetalktomark

molgrips – Member

Could be interested in a SS/geared frame… NOT because I want SS but for possible hub gear use.

I had an Alfine lined up for my Sirius 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Cotic Soul or Genesis Altitude. All your current kit would swap straight over, and you’d have a more than capable bike for anything/everything you want to do on it…

Or of course on a budget, the 456 is blindingly good for the money.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah and low price is a big plus 🙂

There’d have to be a good reason to get a Soul over a PA for a further £200.

bangaio
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position. Running a 2004 heckler and don’t really need it. Live in the chilterns, play at woburn sands sometimes.

The more I look into it the closer to a PA I get.

hambl90
    Free Member

cove handjob

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a frame’ is closed to new replies.