Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a fork 140mm / 150mm travel
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

Recommend me a fork please…

140mm / 150mm travel

Light as possible because I spend most my time riding up hills

But I like to summer in alpine bike parks

Money is flexible, I’ll pay for something if it’s worth it
    A bargain 2012 fork in a sale would be nice though 😀

My Fox Talas only lasted a year because I didn’t maintain them. I’m not incompetent, just a bit ignorant.

What should I buy?

honourablegeorge

Set of revelations from Merlin?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I should also add I need a 1 1/8, not ready for tapered yet… I’ve only just this week finally put my 9mm axled hope xc hubs to rest 😥 I got a good 8 years out of them! Got some pro 2 evo’s now so more flexible with axle options 😀

IMG_1177 by smatkins2, on Flickr

smatkins1
    Free Member

I was under the impression until recently fox were the best fork to have… is this really not the case then?

davosaurusrex

Got some little used 2012 Bomber RC3 Ti 150mm for sale, 1 1/8″, £350 posted. Email in profile if interested, best 32mm forks on the market!

Blower
    Free Member

ust my opinion but I wouldn’t ever buy FOX again if I had a choice in the matter.

yep +1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was under the impression until recently fox were the best fork to have… is this really not the case then?

Too much money and patchy reliability. They need a lot of TLC too.

br
    Free Member

Magura Thor.

Mine’s coming up to 3 years old now, still works great. I get it serviced annually by the Magura Service Man.

bland

id second Merlin’s Revs for the price. I replaced a 2yr old set of 32’s with them and they are better IMO and i sold teh 32’s for £50 more than the new revs cost me, which incidentally was £20 more than i paid new for them of Brant et al.

It was only a matter of time before the legs wore as they weren’t well maintained.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

something nice for 50 weeks of the year something cheap and brutish for 2 week

tinman66
    Free Member

I’ve got RS Rev’s on my Cove and Fox 34 Talas on my Stumpy and have to say they’re both awesome. If I had to pick one I’d probably go for the Fox as they just have a slightly better feel.

Having said that I’ve only had them a few weeks and done a handful of rides so no reliability / maintenance issues yet.

messiah
    Free Member

I found Rev’s a little “Flexy” but I am unusual. The Fox 36 Floats I replaced them with feel a lot stiffer and betterer… but there is a whole pound of weight difference!

kimbers

if you can get the marzocchi rc3 ti cheap then go for it I love mine – they ride better and seem to be tougher (after a year) than my fox

Northwind

I’m on the look out for a good set of RC3s now, but they’re not that light…

Revelations are well proven. Stiffer than a Fox 32, good damping if you buy a good one, flexible setup, and reasonably light. And much less of a primadonna than Fox (you can look after Fox perfectly and still have them fail prematurely tbh, Rockshox are far more tolerant of neglect though obviously anything can fail.

For the alpine stuff, personally i’d prefer something a bit more mighty but the Revs will be totally up to it (I did a week in france, and assorted scottish enduro races and uplifts on mine before I got my Lyriks)

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

is that your marzocchi rc3 ti forks on eBay? what are they like over small bumps. Good compression? do they dive under breaking?

composite
    Free Member

I got the RS Revelation 150mm RCT3 and would recommend them. Got mine from Merlin in a sale last year.

chestrockwell

I went from Fox, to Revs, to DT XMM’s. The DT’s are the best IMO.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Magura Thor FTW
    Light, stiff, supple, easy to clean out and regrease.

Northwind

A mate of mine had 2 sets of Thors, which meant he could be reasonably sure one of them would be working at a time. When they worked they were almost as good as a Rockshox.

xdownhiller
    Free Member

another vote for the revs ive got a pair on my meta just beefed the axel to a 9mm affair from standard q/r theyr dual air and so plush once set up wont go anywhere else than rockshox

hora
    Free Member

Revs all the way IMO

tomglass20
    Free Member

How about the Revs I’m selling 😉

chay
    Free Member

Hey mate get a set of coil shock Rock Shox Domain, they are heavier but with steel stanchions so will be alot more durable, I had a set of lyrics, they started to wear and got rub marks.

I replaced them with a set of 180 domains, they are bomb proof if you dont mind the extra weight.

Chay

chay
    Free Member

you can get 150mm domains

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Another vote for the Thor. I have 4 Magura forks (2 Thors) and over the course of 3 years none have given a problem. The RS rev the first one replaced however was awful. Twangy and unreliable and kept dropping into its travel.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Love my Rev RCT3, lowered it from 150 to 140. Fitted to my orange 5.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Magura thor- very stiff & the 2012 model is quite light too. Easy to maintain, plush & lots of LSC adjustment. The build quality on them is great, lots of little touches like the end of the stanctions is beveled so it’s easier to get the lowers back on without damaging the seals.

hora
    Free Member

Im after some new forks

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sounds like revelations are highly recommended… but which model? the top end ones all seem to have tapered steerers and only stocked in White!

I never would have considered a magura fork… I’ll look into that one

So nobody has anything good to say about fox? are the revelations and thors in a different league to a talas?

kiwijohn

Nothing wrong with my Fox 32’s. Though 34’s might be a better fork.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a fork 140mm / 150mm travel’ is closed to new replies.