• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a first skateboard
  • Spud

My 10yo son has said he’d like a skateboard, I have no idea what’s good for starters, I’m sure there’s a whole array with a rage of £. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance..

shindiggy
    Free Member

I started on a blind deck, independent trucks and some random wheels. It lasted me for years, then I bought a new deck but don’t think I every changed the trucks going on for 10 years so would recommend them. Cost me about £50 with mates rates from the local shop, bit probably closer to £80-100 in today’s money.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Depending on where you’re based, i still have it and happily donate it to get your son started. I’m too old these days so have move onto long boards.

Spud

Shindiggy, that’s very kind of you. We’re in Nottingham.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’m in Birmingham, so if your in Birmingham at all let me know and we’ll sort something out. Alternatively I’ll price up the postage if your happy to cover the cost.

funkmasterp

I’ll chat to my mate (Pontefract) see if he still has my Atomic deck. From what I can recall it’s got Toy Machine wheels and independent trucks. it was a good set up and didn’t get much use. Me in my early thirties thinking I could go back to skating like a teenager. If he still has it you’d be welcome to it. Could collect from his house or mine (Macclesfield ). I’ll text him now he should get back to me tomorrow.

The graphics on the bottom of the deck are of a robot being sick with the slogan Duck My Sick emblazoned across it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The graphics on the bottom of the deck are of a robot being sick with the slogan Duck My Sick emblazoned across it.

LOL, stay* classy, skaters.

I think the idea of riding a deck that someone else rode for years is really cool.

But then I’m not cool.

IIRC Blind did make really nice decks and trucks, and good value too. Independant definitely made good trucks. Sauce – worked in a skateshop, IIRC heh

*never were…. wasn’t that part of the point? 🙂

skids
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a whole array with a rage of £

There really isn’t, there are toys, and then the same boards the pro’s use which still only cost about £100

canopy
    Free Member

Yup – a compete ‘pro’ set up can be had for 130 quid. (My board is a habitat 8.25 width (£45) independent 139s with forged base plates (£50), super reds bearings (£25) and bones spf wheels (£30) that’s the best of the best on all counts)

My advice. Get Independent trucks, they may be a little more but they’ll last 10x longer than everything else. Most important though, they turn better. (Probably independent 129 not 139 as my 8.25 is wider than most kids ride). Boards get replaced most, then bearings, then wheels.

Board shape isn’t a huge factor at 10 unless he has big feet, but a 7.75 ish wide should be fine

noltae
    Free Member

Independent Trucks don’t last any longer than other quality brand . . OP your kid is 10 – get him the board with the graphic he likes the best – you pay for it he chooses . .

atlaz
    Free Member

When I was skating a deck was about 3-6 months of wear (lower end in winter), wheels probably a year but there were a lot of hills and sliding to control speed (and there was someone always to pay you 30% of the cost of new wheels for your old shagged ones). Even then though, it was an affordable hobby for a teenager. I’d just say get decent stuff to start even if you have to get second hand. Cheap skateboards ride like BSOs and are the quickest way to get people out of riding skateboards for life.

Mind you, if you’re on STW, 100 quid probably doesn’t seem like a lot to spend on a quality ride 🙂

funkmasterp

My friend has checked and can’t find the deck, sorry OP. Like others have said you can get a decent setup for around £100. Let the young un choose the deck and you should have the next Rodney Mullen tearing up the neighbourhood in no time 🙂

canopy
    Free Member

Independent Trucks don’t last any longer than other quality brand . . OP your kid is 10 – get him the board with the graphic he likes the best – you pay for it he chooses . .

was writing that quickly lastly thing on an iPad 🙂

i meant 10x longer than any other component. point i was trying to make us – its worth investing in a little more in something that lasts a very long time, whereas the trucks can last for probably all the boards he has, and a good handful of sets of wheels

skateboards are a bit of a Triggers Broom thing.. and trucks are the one thing that is the exception to the rule!

and yeah.. let him pick a graphic, but dont skimp on trucks.. indies turn better..

Spud

Thank you all for the replies, that’s really great to get us going on. Shindiggy, I’ve dropped you an email. Cheers, Greg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a first skateboard’ is closed to new replies.