Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a female-centric cycling community.
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

I have a lady friend who is just starting out in mountain biking.
    I suggested some of the usual suspects: STW, BM, BikeRadar web sites and forums.
    Am I missing something more female-orientated?

nickc

She cycles?

Ti29er
    Free Member

You see, I'm just not tuned into that side of things!
    I looked up Bike Divas, but that seems to be US based.
    Pink bikes seemed not to have too much pink-related stuff going on!
    Thanks, I'll pass the info onwards.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zaskar
    Free Member

Allergic to men?

cinnamon_girl

Suggest she rides with the guys – it's much more fun! Of course I am biased but the STW'ers are such a laugh 8)

Ti29er
    Free Member

She went out with a Manchester based group on Saturday, I think.
    She enjoyed it, so I was going some homework on her behalf to see what's out there for the ladies.
    I appreciate it's a male-dominated hobby & didn't want to make it any more difficult than it needs to be or may seem to be on first sight.

cinnamon_girl

No, it doesn't need to be difficult! The secret is working out who the ride is pitched at.

For example, I will always be quite specific on anything I lead. People don't want to be misled so if it will be hilly, I will say that. If the ride is exposed, then I would suggest they bring a windproof. If there's nowhere to buy food/drink, then I would say to be self-sufficient.

I want people to have a good time but that's easy cos they come along knowing that will happen 8)

To be honest, I reckon some guys like having the ladies along. Takes the pressure off them, as it were (awaits heckling). We add another dimension 🙄

Shame your friend is oop North!

cinnamon_girl

What I do find reassuring is that STW'ers just accept you for what you are – you like riding bikes and that's what matters 8)

Fortunately they don't seem to notice that I'm a middle-aged bird who can't ride her silly bike for toffees 🙄

jedi

elaine, is the riding not going well?

cinnamon_girl

Hi Tony. Not been riding much, too much other stuff getting in the way. How are you?

jedi

me?, i'm still smiling. don't forget any queries about future skills aplications etc…just ask me. find time to ride, experiment with the things i showed you and smile 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Saw your post about Scotland 8) That will be such fun!

Thanks for support though, appreciated.

wors

I'm a middle-aged bird

nah your in too good nick to be middle aged 😉

cinnamon_girl

😳 Have we met wors?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Middle aged for a lady would be 40-42 since the average life span of women in the UK is about 81. Men's is slightly lower at about 78.

I'll pass on the comments. Thanks.

cinnamon_girl

Flatterer 8)

wors

nope, just seen a picture of you on a thread many months ago, still stuck in my mind!

cinnamon_girl

Er, I reckon you will find "middle-aged" is a wee bit higher than those figures!

50 is the new 40, dontchaknow 🙄

Ti29er
    Free Member

Picture content link / image please.

I was being literal. Being 46 this year, I have the body of a 39 year old – so my scales tell me!

cinnamon_girl

wors – picture? Highly unlikely it will be me cos I hate having my photo taken!

wors

took me ages to find that again!

jedi

i have taken pictures of you cinnamon girl 😉

millsonwheels
    Free Member

There is Shecycles, a lot of the group rides are "up North", but it is fairly quiet sometimes!
    http://www.shecycles.net/index.php

gojo
    Free Member

What about sfb's Boggies? Beginners' rides every Saturday and a decent turnout (usually) of ladies.

cinnamon_girl

wors – I'm such an attention-whore 😳

Grimy
    Free Member

Ti29er, I've sent you an email with a contact for a womans bike group in the manchester area.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What about sfb's Boggies? Beginners' rides every Saturday and a decent turnout (usually) of ladies.

a) they're not mine and would hotly contest the allegation 🙂
    b) turnout last Saturday was 6 women out of 17 riders!
    c) all abilities welcome for a very relaxed ride with plenty of enjoyable terrain for everyone

Ti29er
    Free Member

sfb's Boggies?

Google is less than helpful.
    Can you tell me more?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Bog Trotters MBC

notionally based in Lancaster but members all over Lancashire, North Yorkshire and the Lakes

but I'd hasten to insist we're not female-centric but fun-centric :o)

Ti29er
    Free Member

Perfect.
    She's into her walking too. TGO Challenge for 2 weeks this year. LEJOG a couple of years ago.
    Info duly passed onwards.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a female-centric cycling community.’ is closed to new replies.