Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a fat road tyre
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve rebuilt my old kona jake the snake as a summer dry day commuter. At the moment I have 25mm conti gp 4 seasons on it as I had them as spares. But whilst they’re great tyre they look a bit lost on there so I’d like something a bit plumper. So any recommendations for a reasonably light, puncture proof, fat slick ? I’m thinking Challenge Strada Bianca but what else should I be looking at?

mtbfix

I use Conti Sport Contacts. Not very trendy but they roll well enough and have only suffered punctures with small chips of Flint slowly battering their way in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do they only come in wire bead versions? Some of my commute is on cycle path with glass and a lot of small stones so sounds like these may not be robust enough.

swanny853

Challenge Strada Bianca

Just bought one of the 33mm ones (here), seems nicely made. Not ridden yet as the brakes on that bike are broken so can’t offer more, sorry! The other contender I looked at was the wtb exposure, could be very good if you have rims that will play nice with it to tubeless- when it comes out

fifeandy
    Free Member

reasonably light, puncture proof, fat slick

This is one of those pick 2 of 3 situations.

Given that its for commuting i’d go with puncture proof being no1 priority:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-original-greenguard-rigid-road-city-tyre/

wwaswas

Schwalbe Kojak?

Northwind

Kojak 35C might tick your boxes- it’s not got that much puncture protection but I’ve only had one flat on mine (which looked suspiciously like a bit of gear cable- probably my fault, left some bits on the floor or something). The rubber shows lots of nicks and marks from glass etc but the guard seems to keep it out. OTOH, not fast.

Gary_M
    Free Member

This is one of those pick 2 of 3 situations.

I don’t think it is, but obviously I want a tyre that strikes a good balance between weigt, puncture proofing and plumpness. I don’t want schwalbe marathons on it, I don’t even run them on my full on commuter as gp 4 seasons have served me well.

I’d also like a tyre I can leave on if I decide to ride to work through the forest on fire roads.

fifeandy
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-s-one-evo-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre/

If your wheels are tubeless compatible you could go with these. 30c isnt quite fully fat, but light, fast and comfortable with tubeless fluid providing puncture protection.

Or for a slightly larger/heavier version the g-one
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-g-one-evo-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre/

Gary_M
    Free Member

mmm I have schwalbe ones on my road bike and I’m not that impressed with them, seem to be a little puncture prone compared to the vittora corsa evo cx I was running before.

daleftw
    Free Member

Specialized Fatboy. In gumwall flavour, obvs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

In gumwall flavour, obvs

Not on my watch, black/black all the way.

Ioneonic

Tubeless or not?
    How wide can you go?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not tubeless, pretty wide as it’s a cx frame and I’ve run 35mm racing ralphs on it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Jumbo Jim snakeskin 26×4.0 😉

Voyager Hyper folding 700×35/40
    Kojak 700×35
    G-One 700×35/40
    Big Apple 700×50
    Century 700×50

Most of above can be had at PX for £20 or less, last time I checked.

Ioneonic
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a fat road tyre’ is closed to new replies.