Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me a family tent.
  • Kip

As it says really.

We would like something that has two sleeping areas, one side must fit a double airbed, the other a travel cot, and a decent “living” area. Standing height is a must but as we are both below 5’6″ it doesn’t need to be too tall!

It also needs to be a sensible size footprint on the ground. This means not some massive beastie that blocks the sun from everyone else like some of the Outwell tents. The tent will be used everywhere from places like Twentyfour12 and the Big Bike Bash to much smaller campsites.

Pack size and weight doesn’t matter, we have a van (that we can’t sleep in…well we can but not Toddler Kip as well!)

I have seen the ones for sale on here and will do some research as to size.

Price wise…up to £250 probably.

We’ve seen a few Vango tents on sale (Calisto 500 and 600, Icarus 600)and trust the name but would really like some ideas and recommendations.

Cheers

ElShalimo

Outwell Oregon 5
    less than £250 and pretty good

adi66
    Free Member

We’ve got a vango Maritsa 700 and it’s a amazing family tent, we (the mrs) loves a bit of glamping so this tent is amazing, with it’s massive living areas bedrooms and wardrobe to keep our room away from the kids room.

You might get one for a few hundred pounds if you get lucky.

leffeboy

We use a Coleman for something similar but the model isn’t around any more. However their ridge line plus looks very similar. We used to use a double air bed as well but found it two bulky so now use a couple of self inflators and a double duvet instead :). It’s not as huge as the big mansions but you can still get a small table in the middle if it’s phishing rain. However check the sizes as the model may not be exactly the same.

mudpup
    Free Member

We’ve got an Outwell Oakland XL and its brilliant. Bit over your budget – about 320 quid – but well worth it. Easy to pitch and a massive living area. Having all round windows is great on gloomy stuck inside days – the Oregon only has quarter windows i believe. If theres 3 of you, you’ll need a 5 berth for comfort. Blue tents seem to be a bit dull inside in my opinion, green brightens it up a bit. Try and get a carpet. Some steel poles make it a bit more rigid when its windy. Use self inflating mats rather than airbeds – much comfier and warmer.

spando
    Free Member

I fully recommend Outwell tents excellent, well thought out quality tents. Just go to a campsite and have a look at how many Outwell tents you see. They are really popular and for a good reason. We have the Montana 6, a bit abouve your price range however I’m sure there will be a tent to suit your budget. Try Go outdoors? Good luck 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you have a Decathlon near you have a browse in there.

druidh
    Free Member

Another recommendation for an Outwell Montana….

… like the one I’m selling 🙂

Pieface

FWIW I want to like the Vango range as they’re generally OK, however recent experience of a few tents is that the material that the inner tents are made of is just not up to the job at that price range.

I have an Omega 350 that I’ve had for 2 years and its literally falling apart at the seams, a friends calisto 500 / 600 (?) that was only one year old was beginning to show signs of going the same way.

I have a Discovery 200 which is a step up in their quality range, much older and the inner is not going the same way.

Not sure the Outwell’s will fare much better, obviously the tents need to meet a price-point so somethings got to give somewhere.

Wild \Country do something that might fit the bill but the porch is a bit small (Etesian 4 – £275 at Cotswold) and I’m not sure if there’s a divider either. In previous years they did exactly what you’re looking for but I can’t find one.

Finally I’d recommend something with a little roof over the door – undoing the door on the Omega / Cliato results in a wet floor where rain gets in. The etesian has a little roof that may reduce this, as do the more expensive Outwell’s / Vango’s.

Muke
    Free Member

Don’t forget to checkout the reviews on http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

dalepoint
    Free Member

ukcampsite is a good site for buying from to. Royal outwell all good makes. Find somewhere local with a broad range to have a good poke about. Like the family tent shop. where they are erected an free to look around and staff with knowledge and advice.

Basil

Kampa

chaos

Got a Khyam Wayfarer for sale if interested.

Worth a look at their range even if you want to buy new. Very quick to put up and I can do ours by myself which is a bonus if raining as wife/kids can stay in the van while you get wet. Seems quite a solid construction and decent materials but we haven’t actually used it as much as expected so can’t comment on prolonged use in sun.

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=996&product=Wayfarer GT.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Vango Icarus with a canopy works well for us.
    Relatively easy up & down & stable.

bonchance
    Free Member

Vango Maritsa 700 here as well. Big not ‘huge’. Quality generally good but inners a little weak – with kids bouncing around – seems a common problem as similar happened to Out well montana.

It’s ok to put up, but any tent that size is an endeavour. 20 mins gets it mainly up and the lobby front is really useful. If anything it has an excess of lounge space, but the kids love it 🙂

Montana is comparable & brighter inside with full standing in inner tents, generally more expensive and you really need the awning to match Maritsa (used both) – smaller tents prolly won’t be steel poled if that matters to you.. Good advice I got was to add 2 to your berth space I.e. we are 5 so Maritsa 700 works well. 500 may be ideal for you as 3? Or the Out well recommended earlier in thread..

Good luck!

db

If you have a van why not get a drive away awning:
    http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/categories/Awnings-for-Van-based-Conversions/

You can just bond an awning rail to the top gutter of your van. Then little one or you can sleep in the van and you get an inner tent for the awning.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Talking of Vango inner tents, ours is also falling appart at the seams near a zip and I’d like to repair it. I’m quite handy with a sewing machine but don’t know where to find similar fabric to buy. Any idea?

cheers (and sorry for the hijack)

we’ve got a vango tigris which is great by the way (2 grown ups and 2 midgets)

piffpaffpoff
    Free Member

I’ve got an Icarus 600 with canopy and I think it’s a great value package. I got my tent, canopy, footprint groundsheet and carpet ( an essential in my book!) for about £300. It’s dead easy to put up, I can manage it on my own in about half an hour, less if Mr P is with me. The only slight issue I’ve had with it is that I’ve had a few sections of pole split but it’s easy to fix. Just make sure you buy the pole repair kit.

chojin
    Free Member

Another Vango Icarus here (500). Contrary to STW rules, I’m not going to recommend my own make/model as I haven’t had a chance to use it yet 🙂
    Seems like a good tent from what I’ve seen though – can be had for £160 at various outlets too.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Outwell. If you can, get a pitch as one, rather than an inner first. Also, if it’s a big one, go for steel poles.

bonchance
    Free Member

MrsMugsy – same here – not been done yet but zigzagging an inch or so of canvas tape from inside to zip tape seemed to be best bodge agreed by those that expressed an opinion. Highly unlikely it will ever be unpacked outside a campsite though 🙂

mattrgee
    Free Member

I’ve got a Vango Tigris 400DLX, good tent but the quality might not be the best. Will probably go with a different brand next time.

crankboy
    Free Member

We have the Coleman ridgeline 6 man . We have only just got it so I can’t comment on quality and durability .the poles need some care to push through the sleeves . Size wise we can fit a double air bed and travel cot in each berth and there is plenty of room in the central area to stand . Weather wise it kept out a night of heavy rain this weekend .

It was also handy to take down in the rain as in essence it’s a huge fly sheet with two inner pods hanging in it . So you can pack up your kit the two pods and central groundsheet under the flysheet in the dry then just collapse the rest.

transapp
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Coleman Mackenzie 4. I’m very happy with the size and quality. Even in last weekends gales and rain it Was completely dry.
    I like the dual pods that can be made into one large one with unzipping a middle section so mini Transapp is easily accessible, although reach by themselves is large enough for a double air bed. Good sized living area as well, enough room for 5 seats around a table with other clutter as well.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Decathlon 4.2 for our family, pitches in 2 minutes same for taking down. 2 sleeping compartments and a living area in the middle, no problem with head height I am 6foot and can stand in it. Lived in one similar for 6 months last year while working on the south coast of England.

commander
    Free Member

I’ve a Wild Country Homestead 5 I’m about to sell, 2 separate bedrooms (3 man and 2 man) which can be put up independently, massive porch area, proper steel poles not fibreglass etc. Only been used about 4 times, standing room a plenty. Will be looking for about £125 and I can throw in an ace twin ring cooker.
    Mail if interested christiansenATliveDOTcoDOTuk

petrieboy

This doesn’t fulfil any of your criteria, but it’s still the ultimate family tent for many other reasons
    BBB last year

Kip

Wow, what a wealth of replies. Seriously, this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

We have a Vango Beta 450/650(?) at the moment and now people mention it, the inner always did look a bit tatty, although it has stayed up and dry in some fairly manky weather.

The Outwell tents are getting good reviews which is what I was looking for. I’ve seen them at Go Outdoors but some are just so big it’s unfeasible.

Commander – we’d pefer more windows than yours sorry. We anticipate a certain amount of indoor time due to the joys of the UK weather and decent light is a must.

Petrieboy – A teepee is cool but would prefer more normal boring tent. I like rooms!

Good shout with the UK camping site, going to go there next, as well as Decathlon, forgot about them.

If anyone else has anything to add then all opinions (on tents) appreciated.

Cheers again.

stpugh
    Free Member

Hi,
    if your not sorted yet I have an Outwell Wyoming tunnel tent up for grabs. It has 2 rooms and a good sized living space with a sewn in ground sheet its based on the Montana 6 but smaller however it still has steal poles.

I’v had it from new last year and used it once also it has a footprint to protect the under of the tent.

Looking for £130 pref pick up Stourbridge West Midlands.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a family tent.’ is closed to new replies.