Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Recommend me a Family Tent
  • thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am planning on doing a bit of camping with the family over the summer and I need to buy a bigger tent. I have been looking at the Vango Icarus, Orchy, and Tigris tents (all the 600 range), can anyone recommend one over the other? Also any other manufacturers I should be looking at, I dont want anything too massive and when packed away can't take up too much room in the car. Or has anyone got a tent for sale?

Doug

stumpy01

What is the definition of 'family'?

I've got an Orchy 600 and it would be fine for 2 adults and two youngsters, but if the kids are nearer teenage years, then you'd probably want something a bit larger or you might be cramped in a bit.
    I recommend if you get the Orchy 600, you also ge the large canopy as it allows you to have some covered space to stick a table/cooker etc. and if the weather's a bit cak you don't end up stuck in the tent. It also allows you to have a bit of a 'porch' area to take your shoes off before walking mud/water into the tent.

My sister got a Hi Gear tent from Go Outdoors which I saw fo the first time this weekend and that was pretty good – it was shorter but wider than ours and had a good useable space. It was a Mojave 5 I think. Only downside was a lack of windows so it was quite dull inside.

avdave2

As a Vango owner I'd say look at Outwell. They do a range which should cover any requirements you might have and always get good reviews.

hughjengin
    Free Member

I have got a Tigris 600. Great tent loads of room, 2 adults 2 kids with no problems, we were umming and arring between the Tigris and the Orcy, I just prefer the tunnel tent type as opposed to the Dome. Theres nothing between them in price give or take, and dare say probably nothing between them in quality or performance. But as a solid recommendation the Tigris 600 has done us perfectly, buy one !

thesurfbus
    Free Member

The Kids are 4 and 6, boy and girl, they are fine sharing a bedroom just now, but not sure what it will be like when they get older.
    What is the partition in the bedroom of the Icarus, Orchy like? Does it give any privacy or is it just a curtain?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

hughjengin – When the 3rd bedrrom in the Tigris is fitted, is there enough living space?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I had thought about buying the canopy to give us a bit more space, but what about the Footprint and Carpet are they worth buying?

stumpy01

The Orchy partition is a bit rubbish to be honest, as it's just a sheet that fixes in about 6 places – you can see from one to the other.

I meant to say that it would be worth giving Outwell a look – whenever we go camping and there are families about, they are generally in Outwell tents. But, you mention bulk & they look pretty huge to me.

surfer
    Free Member

I've got an Outwell which is great, spacious and comfortable, allows you to sit inside and eat/play games when the weather is bad.
    Big and heavy though.

stumpy01

I haven't bothered with the carpet – seemed a bit ridiculous to me (just take some slippers or something), but I did get the footprint.
    It's well worth having as generally the groundsheet will be wet when you put the tent down – even if it has stayed sunny.
    The footprint keeps the tent groundsheet dry so you can just stick it away & then fold the footprint up wet and hang it out when you get home. As it's black, it dries really quickly on the line…..

hughjengin
    Free Member

hughjengin – When the 3rd bedrrom in the Tigris is fitted, is there enough living space?

Plenty. In fact most of the time I wonder (even with 2 kids) whether we need a tent that big.

Even with the third bedroom attached, there is loads of inside room, its light and airy too. On nice days you can literally open up the tent on three sides if you really wanted, it just seemed less claustrophobic than the Orchy. We actually had a picnic table inside with the four of us sat around it for breakfast or playing board games etc on rainier days. The two main bedrooms have enough room in each for a full double airbed. So even with a 7 and a 8 year old there was never any need for us to use the 3rd bedroom. Although we did put it up for storage of stuff. When we got the tent we chatted to the owner of the camping store and asked his opinion of either the Orchy or Tigris, He basically said that he had about 30 of each in stock, that the price was the same so he had no motivation to sell us one or the other, and he said that both are great but he'd have the Tigris, because of the tension band system which is supposed to make it better in stronger winds.
    To give a balanced opinion I have given you the Pro's, so I will now give you the downsides.

1. If you prefer to use a the huge front door/opening as opposed to the side door, then the third bedroom (if you use it) is in the way.

2. There is not much of a porch area on the side door.

We bought the foorprint, which keeps everything off the wet grass, but never bothered with the carpet (we just stuck a couple of picnic rugs down instead) I just thought the proper carpet was expensive for what it was

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not quite the same but just (literally an hour ago) driven back from camping in the pi55ing rain in our new Vango Equinox 450 – it's 4 man but the 2nd bedroom is small.

Utterly brilliant and extremely weatherproof – weighs under 7kgs, doesn't take up much room, space for three to sit inside and will stand up to really harsh conditions. Ours certainly did but shame the rain kept me awake most of the night! The little (20 month old) boy was fine in it – third time we've used it and he loves it!

I'd say you could easily get your two kids in the smaller bedroom.

The footprint (£45 extra) is ESSENTIAL though.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Equinox_450_Mountain_Tent.html

teagirl
    Free Member

We've got an Outwell and with 3 kids under 12yrs, we had plenty of room camping on the Outer Hebrides, easy to erect (good for weekend trips) and sewn in ground sheet made the time in the tent comfy when it was blowing a hoolie outside. It does flap a lot in the wind tho'. For the money, it's a good tent but obviously not long term quality.

Padowan
    Free Member

If you're seriously concerned about the pack size and weight, then have a look a the range from Robens. I've got a Triple Dreamer – it's a 6-berth (3 room) tunnel design with modular (removable) rooms depending on your needs. Compared to most other "family" tents of similar size, it's half the weight (17kg) and rolls up into a single pack, the size of a duffel bag.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – I have owned an Equinox 350 for about 12 years and it has been an excellent tent, thats why I was keen to go with a Vango again. I think the 450 wil be a bit small as I want a decent living area that I can stand up in.

hughjengin – Thanks for the detailed response, i think i am swaying towards the Tigris at the moment.

takisawa2

Outwell Montana 6.
    Not a small pack size, & not cheap, but ace family tent.
    Family on the site we were on at w'end had a Vermont XL.
    It was bloody huge, nice seperate fully enclosed porch/kitchen room.
    It was simply enormous though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Echo takisawa above the Outwell Montana 6 is a simply brilliant family tent. We've just bought one of these as a weekend tent, had a trial erection yesterday and it was very pleasing. Also considered the Icarus 500 which looks a great tent and has good reviews.

br
    Free Member

This one:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews81209.html

Wild Country Homestead 5

We bought one as a 'base' tent, top piece of kit

docrobster
    Free Member

I dont want anything too massive and when packed away can't take up too much room in the car.

I think that rules out the montana 6?!!
    Weighs a bloody ton!
    2 huge bags.
    Not saying it isn't a great tent- it is!
    We've had ours a couple of years and love it. Not one for lugging far from the car though- eg festivals etc

Tasso
    Free Member

Bought an Outwell Wolf Lake 5 recently which is great if you want oodles of room but fills the boot of our Octavia completely. It replaces a Jack Wolfskin dome and twin bedroom one we have had for a few years now that has simply got all flappy as material has stretched. The polycotton, zip in groundsheet and zips all conspire to make it a lot cooler and more useable in hot weather than our previous tent but it will take an age to put up and dismantle even with the assistance of our 20 month old ankle biter.
    BCH
    http://www.megacheapcamping.co.uk/category/92/MEGA_CHEAP_FAMILY_TENTS
    bought from BCH Camping in Trowbridge who have a good stock and display, price promise and excellent deals at the moment.

An Outwell Trout Lake might also be worth a look if you want similar construction but a less silly size.

We also have a really cheap Millets 2/3 man dome that has far outlasted the Jack Wolfskin and we were happy at the Builth Merida in that the other weekend – nice and cosy. Glad it didn't rain though 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

ive an outwell montana 12 its great and huge 😉 more than enough room for the 6 of us

carlosg
    Free Member

Have a look at Sunncamp tents , we have a vulcan 600 6 berth . It does take quite a bit of room up in the car but we have an estate so it's not such an issue.
    In Cornwall last year.

Tasso
    Free Member

Worth mentioning perhaps that the tunnel type tents seem to give you maximum useable space inside but need careful pegging out as they aren't such a self supporting design if the weather is a bit breezy. The design of the Wolf Lake has extra poles down the sides to add some rigidity.

Our trial run in Ilfracombe a few weeks back was interesting due to it coinciding with a bit of a breeze turning it into the worlds biggest kite. Something to consider if you have to put the thing up yourself.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The Vango we have had a "tension band" system – uses straps to form two triangles across each "arch" – work really well.

Had a naff tunnel tent in Oz that folded in on itself every time there was a strongish breeze!

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep, the salesman said that the Tension band was a good feature. But for me the decider was the tunnel style design that gives loads of useable space.

sadexpunk

vermont XL user here too 🙂 just fits under the maximum dimensions for a lot of sites, as its a big oblong. but………2 bags and quite heavy. and biiiig money now. over £700 new i reckon now!!!

im selling a smaller outwell (maine, discontinued now) if youre intersted. thats about right for 2 adults, 2 small kids. used once. £100 pick up from lincoln.

rootes1

one tent for the adults and separate tent for the kids that you can pitch away from you…

Edric64
    Free Member

Go outdoors have 5 berth Atakamas at 60 quid next week full price is 150 allegedly .They seem pretty good with a hydrostatic head of 3000mm

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Bought a Vango Tigris 800, so will see how we get on.

huggis
    Free Member

I've got a North Face Trailhead 8 which I rate for price, ease of erection (ooo er..), stability in poor weather, space and transportability.

[/url]

Not sure if it is still available though…

mcinnes
    Free Member

We're just back from first trip out in our Outwell Montana 6.

As others have said above, it isn't for you, as it's fricking heavy and big when packed away, but it came much recommended from here, from Mumsnet (don't mess with the mums) and is brilliant. But heavy and biiiig 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Mate of mine swears by the Aldi £80 family tent which comes up every now and again. Had it for years and keeps on going and we've had at least 3 years worth of lads weekends away in it also….

MoreCashThanDash

If you are anywhere in the Midlands/Peaks at the moment Yeomans have their camping exhibitions on around the place – details will be on their website. Huge choice to have a proper look at and compare.

We are in a similar situation – but are planning longer term for when they don't want to share. We have narrowed it down to the Outwell Nevada L with side extension, Hartford XL, Vango Tigris 800 or Colorado 800DLX. I've been very impressed with the Robens tents I've seen as well.

We prefer tunnel style tents as they are smaller and lighter – we don't have the space – or use them enough – for the bigger Outwell type stuff. Our old Winfield has been a great tent, just about to stick it on the classifieds.

Muke
    Free Member

This is where you need to be for all things camping …UKCampsite.co.uk

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Any pitch outer first outwell

toppers3933
    Free Member

i have a blacks own brand tent used it loads including 3 weeks in france last summer and it was ace. i think its called a serpens. its a 4 man but pretty big. they do a larger version too but i cant remember what its called.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Family Tent’ is closed to new replies.