Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a …. Drill
  • stox
    Free Member

I need a drill for general household use.
    I’m not that clued up on them. A mate reckons this is a decent buy. I trust him but there’s always the STW opinion 🙂
    So, any reasons why I shouldn’t buy this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc100ka-gb-18v-1-3ah-ni-cd-cordless-combi-drill/73596#

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nicd battery

Li ions where its at

Id buy

[Url]http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/64945[/url]

nickjb
    Free Member
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

For BIG holes

For little holes

trail_rat
    Free Member

They were doing that for 99.99 last week.

Wish id bought the hitachi instead of the bosch i did buy – the impact driver bare bones is down to 80 quid.

Worth noting that the makita has 1 x 3ah battery the hitachi has 2x 1.5 ah

Means a lighter unit in the hand and more chance of having at least 1 charged battery 🙂

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you can wait a few weeks I’d expect this sort of thing to feature highly in the post-christmas sales lists of B+Q and Screwfix – last year I picked up a cracking deal on an AEG Li-Ion drill/driver package from B+Q by waiting until they had their sale.

Bear
    Free Member

If it is for drilling rather than screwing (oo er) then I would get a mains drill fro occasional use as the battery will never be charged when you want it.

Also it will be a lot cheaper and able to handle tougher tasks.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Can recommend the hitachi tho was £90 a while back or get some random pensioner to get 10% off for you at bnq. Defintely li-ion, very nice over prev nicad.

amaan
    Free Member

This makita has a Li-on and is on offer at the mo for £99

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bhp453sh-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/58614;jsessionId=f6TvQ3rWBGFly2F2pH0gDJ1smf1GvFd72jhvpsr8NG358dvdTr5Q!-1026225509!1354214166445?cm_sp=Homepage-_-Slide-_-58614

I bought the one below recently for £99 when they had a weekend blowout a few weeks ago, I would recommend any of the dewalt XR range as they have an over-heating sensor built into the handle which switches off the motor when there is a danger of overheating which apparently saves the motor/gears from damage, you also get 3 years warranty with them.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd785c1-sfg8-18v-xr-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/22854?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=296139

jonnyrockymountain

Amaan
    Personally wouldn’t touch dewalt stuff at all, been in joinery/shopfitting for over 20years and in the last 5 years dewalt have totally gone down hill, all our suppliers in power tools have more dewalt returns than any other!
    Panasonic or Festool with Makita 3rd for cordless drills?
    But at budget range hitachi are a good purchase
    Just don’t buy dewalt

burko73

Try Anglian tool centre…. Online they seemed to be very competitive.

piemonster

What bear said, for home DIY use cordless aint all that much better and costs more for the same quality.

longj
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do. If you want to drill into solid wall get a decent corded hammer drill and a cheaper all purpose drill for the smaller jobs.

piemonster

Strictly speaking you’ll need 3 drills(any more anyone?)

Big beefy SDS
    Decent quality corded / high power cordless
    Lightweight cordless

I wouldn’t be comfortable with my sexuality with any less than that

I’m going into the man cave now to stroke my sliding miter saw

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you’re drilling masonry then get a corded SDS drill.

Anything else get a cordless

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What piemonster said.

Though to be fair, you can combine the second two (by spending more). For general DIY, buy a cheapish/reduced SDS drill with a combination of 5.5/6/7/8 mm bits, which will do you for most coloured wallplugs. Most will have a chiselling function too for chasing and other lightweight wrecking duties.

Then get a cordless 14.4/18V for screwing and drilling into timber. Concrete is best left to corded.

And oh yes, I do love it when folk recommend Festool to someone who posts:

I need a drill for general household use.

FFS, even most tradesmen don’t use Festool…yes, they’d all love to, but most can’t justify the cost and live with the fear of having it nicked.

Oh and their jigsaws are shit too. 😛

russ295
    Free Member

Festool jigsaws shit! I’ve got/had makita/bosch/hitachi and the fessy wipes the floor with the rest.
    Bosch are ok for general use but the makita was better.
    The bosch 10.8v kit is superb for light use.
    +1 for sds.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Festool jigsaws shit!

Yep, I use a Bosch and a Festool (when I’m helping some mates out). Gimme the Bosch any day. You’d think Festool would manage to come up with something innovative to change the angle of the baseplate other than a hex wrench which is a bitch to use and invariably gets lost anyway.

😛

Anyway, that’s not helping the OP much…

russ295
    Free Member

I use a jigsaw 5 days a week and I bought the latest bosch as I needed a 240v model.
    I fit kitchens and three cuts with a down cutter and it was put in the box and sent back.
    Festool is over 4 years old and cuts perfect. I agree that bosch are good as a general saw but for what I do it don’t cut the mustard.
    Never used their drill tho!

Russ

cheez0
    Free Member

how much driling you going to do?

bought a cheap cordless 10yrs ago, £15 homebase special, still, going strong

for concrete etc, I still got the wired drill my ex wife (bitch) got me when I was 19.
    I am 45.

unless youre building your own house, buy cheap, rag its ass then buy another.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My cordless gets alot of use – im not a tradesman …

I use it all the time for spinning up bolts /nuts as well as for drilling and screwing.

Really want to get my self an impact driver but thats just lazy 🙂 how ever as. A land rover owner im sure you can appreciate where it would come in handy 🙂 – shame the decently powered ones for more than screwing ll cost. Fortune 🙁 –

maccruiskeen

Strictly speaking you’ll need 3 drills(any more anyone?)

Apparently there are an estimated 20 million drills and drill drivers in the UK. The vast majority of which will never do more than 12 minutes work.

I’ve just done a quick tally and unless I’ve forgotten any I think I’ve got 12 drills and drivers. 😯

footflaps

Think I’ve got four.

DeWalt SDS Mains for concrete etc.
    Bosch 750W corded
    Bosch 18v Li-ion drill driver for general use
    Bosch 9.6v body with 12v battery fitted as general screwdriver (I modded the chassis to take a different battery for a bit more oomph)

maccruiskeen

Actually just remembered another – so thats 13. Not sure if thats a boast or a cry for help 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Makita Li-on

light, comfy, all you need for DIY (well except a SDS for wall stuff…obviously)

+1 Festool jigsaws – I have one and it’s ace.

russ295
    Free Member

36v hilti sds
    110v dewalt sds
    240v dewalt sds
    110v metabo hammer drill
    10.8v bosch impact driver
    10.8v bosch drill driver.

Impact driver gets used the most.

footflaps

Impact driver is next on my shopping list…..

Flaperon
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a …. Drill’ is closed to new replies.