Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a down jacket
  • desboy3
    Free Member

Looking for a cosy down jacket for apres biking, walking and general loafing about in. Looking for something showerproof if possible and with a hood. Like the look of the alpkit one but no stock til november. I welcome your advice!

bwaarp
    Free Member

down = not that great if wet. You use em under a hardshell if it’s raining.

If you want one jacket that is shower proof and snug, a pile based montane, buffalo or snugpak jacket would be better.

Buffalo are great and they are made in Sheffield. They are the original pile “soft-shell” system… They do a range suited to cycling.

Pile jackets act a bit like wetsuits, so a lot of wearers will use them without hardshells….as the reasoning goes they are more breathable than hardshells….if you get sweaty you potentially get cold….so they reduce that whilst keeping you warm when wet……the “wet and warm” school of thought.

Lots of squaddies use them.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have this One which is showerproof

djflexure

Got a Montane prism – primaloft, good in rain. Works well for me. Buy direct and they are cheaper plus donation does to Mountain rescue.

nicko74

down = not that great if wet. You use em under a hardshell if it’s raining.

If you want one jacket that is shower proof and snug, a pile based montane, buffalo or snugpak jacket would be better.

Buffalo are great and they are made in Sheffield. They are the original pile “soft-shell” system… They do a range suited to cycling.

Pile jackets act a bit like wetsuits, so a lot of wearers will use them without hardshells….as the reasoning goes they are more breathable than hardshells….if you get sweaty you potentially get cold….so they reduce that whilst keeping you warm when wet……the “wet and warm” school of thought.

Lots of squaddies use them.
    Short version – are you sure you want down? Depending on the kind of walking, you may get sweaty (down doesn’t ‘breathe’ as well as synthetics, apparently).

Lummox

Picked up a second hand alpkit one, superb jacket, very warm. Very pleased and I’d suggest worth the wait.

desboy3
    Free Member

Hmm thanks for the advice so far, walking is really just out with the dog nothing strenuous. Don’t reckon I need down, that Montane looks pretty tasty. Is it quite long in the body cos I am tall with a long upper body. Not freaky tho!

djflexure

Should be OK – slim fitting

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not freaky tho!

Yes you are….

desboy3
    Free Member

Well maybe sometimes!

bwaarp
    Free Member

Hmm thanks for the advice so far, walking is really just out with the dog nothing strenuous. Don’t reckon I need down, that Montane looks pretty tasty. Is it quite long in the body cos I am tall with a long upper body. Not freaky tho!

Certain Buffalo models such as the “Special Six” are. If the one you want is not long enough, they will do you custom one offs.

mark90
    Free Member

I have a TNF Nuptse which gets little use as it too warm 99% of the time, and it’s not shower proof. Paramo jacket gets much more use.

oddjob
    Free Member

I just picked up a Rab infinity ( I think it’s called that) in the Cotswolds outdoor sale half price. Beautifully warm and lite but not really waterproof. I have a pataonia synthetic insulated hard shell which is great in really crappy weather with a down sweater underneath

BTW I live in Scandinavia hence the apparent overkill!

carlphillips
    Free Member

montane prism +1 my fav jacket gets worn soo much more than my others, sold my rab down jacket after buying it..

jonny-m
    Free Member

RAB !

trail_rat
    Free Member

I use my buffalo active shirt a damn sight more than my down jacket.

Use my down vest the most though- under a shell of course

Down jackets just too warm most of year

bwaarp
    Free Member

I see trail rat is the only other person with taste in this thread. :mrgreen:

nick3216
    Free Member

Can vouch for Buffalo pile jackets for warmth but the crotch strap buckle is just so badly thought out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The active doesnt have a crotch strap.

Think my actives being retired to work duties ( work offshore)

Need to get a newun !

AJames
    Free Member

Rab! And as waterproof as you need. If its lashing down you need full waterproof anyway. Winter climbed in mine, now clean bike in it after ride, it’s tatty and bruised but still one of my favourite bits of kit!

matt_outandabout

Montane Prism x8 out of 12 outdoor instructors at my place, and 2x of us have Patagonia equivalent….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

down doesn’t ‘breathe’ as well as synthetics, apparently

I don’t agree with that – I used to play tennis in winter with my Mountain Equipment Lightline down jacket on with no problems.

Saw a comment on a forum about primaloft longevity which I thought was funny – the guy said it was a primaloft jacket, but now it was just prima.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I don’t agree with that – I used to play tennis in winter with my Mountain Equipment Lightline down jacket on with no problems.

I believe it’s actually down+hardshell systems don’t breathe as well as say……a pile smock

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a down jacket’ is closed to new replies.