Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Recommend me a dog breed/cross
  • fionap

Thinking of getting a puppy and looking for inspiration. My family always had dogs, first a true mongrel (med size, probably part doberman based on colours, x spaniel x lab etc) and now a collie x springer. The latter is very intelligent, has a very strong chase drive and is quite temperamental (flips between overly soppy and grumpy) which I think is the collie part, so we’ll probably avoid similar.

We live in London in a ground floor flat with a small secure garden/yard but lots of local parks. Will probably move out to somewhere rural within 1-2 years. No children at present but could well overlap with dog in future (hence ruling out adopting an older dog). Currently thinking something like a sprocker might work but are they a bit too mad? Maybe something part-terrier, but what type – nothing too yappy or small.

‘Recommend what you own’ and pictures welcome, obviously. 🙂

Del

mate has a pointer/springer x and she is fantastic. short hair ( including ears! ), basically looks like a pointer in miniature with a soppy face. lovely dog, very nice nature. piercing bark though!

sandwicheater

Dog you say, good choice. Much better than a donkey. That is unless you have large amounts of kit you need shifting over rough terrain. Then you may be better of thinking about getting a donkey.

Get what i’ve got. Lab/springer cross*. I think the best of both worlds. Will happily run all day or just as happy lazing by the fire all day.

[/url]Bramble by sandwicheater1, on Flickr[/img]

Good trail dog as well

[/url]image by sandwicheater1, on Flickr[/img]

*may also be mad as a box of frogs on some days.

Crag
    Free Member

We’ve had a Cockerpoo for about 9 months now (she’s just over a year old). She’s been a great addition to the family. Great with the kids and full of energy. Incredibly friendly with other dogs and people.

Only downsides are that her coat is like a sponge so we tend to keep it short and that she really does need a couple of hours exercise a day (hey, we knew what we were letting ourselves in for!).

[/url]DSC_0427 by cragseds, on Flickr[/img]

She’s also becoming a bit of a trail hound.

[/url]DSCF0204 by cragseds, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]DSCF0203 (1) by cragseds, on Flickr[/img]

benp1

Black labrador (working line, not show line)

Most recent pic I have of my dog, which isn’t very good as he’s in the background

GREAT with my kids, I really mean it. They’re now 3.5 and 2.5 and he’s been around longer than them. Proper family dog, he’s one of the family. The kids love him, to the extent he get cuddled, lied on, pulled, grabbed, kissed etc

Comes out on family cycle rides and gets ‘cycled’ round the 3 mile park loop rather than walked.

Happy being at home for a stint when we’re at work, but there’s someone home most days.

massive appetite, I’m very particularly about not overfeeding him

Did I say brilliant with kids?

honourablegeorge

Have a springer (ish, some sort of cross probably, we don’t know, some asshole chucked him in the river as a pup, where we found him) and a black lab – both brilliant dogs.

As above, the lab will lay about and do nothing all day, or walk miles (she used to, shes 12 now, and definitely prefers the former these days). Springer is a mad ball of energy, esp when young, but is equally happy to chill out beside the lab. Kids have grown up with them, both have been sat on, wrestled, had their hair and ears pulled, never a growl or a complaint.

Only drawback is that they’re both getting on and we probably only have them for a few more years.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Any excuse to post puppy pics. Here’s one of our Lucas from this morning’s walk and some from a few weeks back. He’s 7 months and another Springer / Lab cross but I suspect with a bit more springer in the mix than sandwicheater’s pooch. As above I think it’s a great combination – energy and agility of a springer, lab temperament and training aptitude. Great with kids, keen as mustard – loads of energy but also fine being left for a couple of hours each day provided he gets a decent walk beforehand.

I have to be honest, I’d personally think twice about having a dog in a flat in the city – even one with a garden, but if it suits your personal circumstances and you are confident you are able to exercise it regularly, go for it!

fionap

Loving all the photos so far, thanks!

I have to be honest, I’d personally think twice about having a dog in a flat in the city – even one with a garden, but if it suits your personal circumstances and you are confident you are able to exercise it regularly, go for it!

Fair point. I work from home so it would very rarely be left alone. The flat is a ground floor maisonette 1930s place, with just the one set of neighbours above and separate front doors – no communal spaces to worry about. The plan is to get out of London asap anyway so a dog might spur that on, which is fine by me.

Sandwich

If the kids are beyond the rural move window than an older adopted/rescued dog could well work. Have a shifty at what Battersea and Dogs Trust have got going on. You could also take the oldest of their dogs as a tester as it is likely to be gone or about to go when the kids arrive and the adopted one would finish its days in a happy home.

bubs

This may be worth a look: http://www.dogsinneed.co.uk/gallery.html
    The DalmatianXSchnausher is brill.
    My wife is a volunteer with them.
    We got our Irish rescue dog from them too as a puppy (he could be anything but most likely LabxCollie or LabxLurcher). Amazing temperament, great with our kids, the cat and even the hamster. Very impressive bark for unwanted visitors, happy to run all day or lay by the fire.

oldnpastit

Rescue greyhound if you want something that will be happy with just a bit of exercise (~20 minutes per day, then the rest on the sofa).

turq

After careful consideration we plumbed for a Sproker back in December, we found one to rehome who was 8 months at the time. He’s an absolute bundle of fun, full of beans and character but is happy to doze and potter about too.
    He’d been loved by his previous owners but was somewhat lacking in the training department, things are improving though and all the talk of Sprokers being the hardest dog to own hasn’t been the case here.
    He has chewed a couple of chairs and cardboard boxes (We’ve just moved house too) but nothing major and considering what upheaval he’s had, it’s nothing really.
    Don’t expect an easy ride though, they are spaniels after all and Ozzy’s from working stock so loves flushing birds etc out of the undergrowth…….an the ubiquitous trail hound training is coming alont too.

benp1

A flat with a proper garden is no different to a house where you don’t allow the dog upstairs! (we do)

The thing to remember is to pick a dog that will work with your life for the next 10-15 years, not just right now

The amount of exercise they need, their temperament, how they work with visitors/family/kids

Clearly a lot of that is trainable, but a head start is useful!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Hmm. Located where you are a springer maybe a bit much. Have a good read up on them before you go that way.

Here’s our gang:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sfpgRY]IMG_20150314_201313[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

from top,
    Charley, collie/corgi cross rescue at ~1 year old. now 7. He would be blinding for you, can’t imagine a more perfect dog. great with kids, other dogs, chilled but can go for hours. clever but not destructive. but you can’t have him.

Alfie. Lab/rotti cross rescue at 3 years old. now 9. Gorgeous, but ours was so badly treated he’s scared of strangers. got the lab mind and appetite and rotti pack protection.

Nell. 8 month field springer. had from puppy. hard work, nuts, totally loving, soft as, massive prey drive, trainable, but heel work is proper hard work. get’s frustrating if not given something to do during the day.

more:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rkG6qQ]IMG_20150312_223204[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q24d2E]IMG_20141201_220357[/url] by Evil Goat, on Flickr

drofluf
    Free Member

another vote for a cockerpoo here. If you can get past the ridiculous name that is 🙂

Ours is 18 months and a great pet, also our first dog. Seems to need less exercise than Crag’s she’s happy with a couple of 25 minute walks a day but is happy (and gets!) more than that most days. Her mother was a show cocker and they apparently need less exercise than working cocker offspring. But fun, good natured, playful and intelligent.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jt15kx]On the Run[/url] by paulfulford, on Flickr

I don’t think that a sprocker wold be right in your situation. They’re lovely dogs, a neighbour has one, but they do need a lot of exercise

Sandwich

Current Rescue
    [/url]Workshop Dog by Hamster, on Flickr[/img]

Last Rescue
    [/url]Cookie and Rolo by Hamster, on Flickr[/img]

The girls (mother and deaf daughter)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/s5bnWo]Cookie & Muffin[/url] by Hamster, on Flickr

Drac

Border Terrier such energetic dogs.

benp1

anagallis_arvensis

If you live in london you want a dog that doesnt need loads of exercise and is a good sleeper. Not a collie or springer. A lurcher would be ideal.

fionap

Being used to chunkier dogs, lurchers always look a bit fragile to me (although I know they’re not)! I also looked after a saluki x whippet for a while but she was the most boring dog I’ve ever met, really quite stupid and very lazy.

Needing a reasonable amount of exercise is good as we’ll do multiple walks/day and long walks at weekends (when it’s old enough). The three-legged dalamation x schnauzer above would be cool but wouldn’t be so good for long days in the hills.

benp1

I think it depends where you live in London, there’s a surprising amount of accessible spaces for dogs, whether that off lead walking, green spaces/parks, tow path type walking, jogging on the street etc

(I have a London postcode but am on the edge of North London so I have loads of green belt and parkland to ride/walk the dog – 3 miles mostly off lead and off road/in parks is the usual walk)

theotherjonv

We’ve got a Cockerpoo too. Gets about 75 mins walk a day, usually with other dogs so there’s a lot of chase and being chased. Then she’ll stay at home happily for a few hours and then want a bit of ball or toy chasing in the garden later on.

Scruffy half-breed (the dog, not the wife)

How a dog can be so intelligent and yet utterly stupid at the same time I don’t know. She’s also so vocal, constantly grumbling and complaining, but never meaning it, which was a bit off-putting initially. Now we know what her different ‘growls’ mean it’s just her character (apparently it’s a poodle trait)

obelix
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of working cocker spaniels. I find our two to be really laid back indoors, and absolute nutters outdoors, which is a nice combination.

They’re smaller than a springer, so more manageable indoors, but are bred as outdoor shooting dogs, so incredibly athletic and capable.

If we exercise ours enough, when back at home the more energetic male just wants to lie on the couch with us and snuggle and move as little as possible. Really is a ridiculously affectionate dog.

Were you not in London I’d say take one of our puppies when they’re ready (3wks old now), but given that I’m in northeast Scotland, that’s not gonna work. I’m sure there will be plenty going there in the southeast or south coast rural areas if you were interested, and even for pedigreed Working cocker puppies, the cost is less than for a lot of other breeds (approx £600 up here).

Gratuitous dog pics…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Get what i’ve got. Lab/springer cross*. I think the best of both worlds. Will happily run all day or just as happy lazing by the fire all day.

Ive had a lab/springer for 7.5 years and agree the best of both worlds. Mine is very sensitive but lives for his exercise. He’d be climbing the walls in London! He certainly wouldn’t laze by the fire if he hadn’t done some serious exercise first….however his parents were both working stock, so that might be the difference?

I’m a big fan of working cocker spaniels. I find our two to be really laid back indoors, and absolute nutters outdoors, which is a nice combination.

We have some friends who bought one and I’ve never seen a dog with more energy than this one….just to warn you!

dknwhy

Pomsky. Who wouldn’t want a mini Husky??!!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

2 years ago we got a whippet pup

No regrets – will take as much/little exercise as you want – also sleeps a lot!

Great with the kids and other dogs

Does attack the post though (not the postman)

Houns

Oscar our 8 month old chocolate Lab. Daft as a brush, great personality and would be able to find a puddle in the middle of the Sahara

dantsw13

[/url]Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

My Working a Cocker, Ziggy – 9 months old. They are full of energy and very intelligent. This is good if you want to exercise them and train them, but if not, it means they go a bit loopy and create their own amusement.

I’d say a WC would be perfect when you move out of London, but maybe not now. They are adorable family pets too.

anagallis_arvensis

A sprocker a spaniel a lab all dogs that need space and stimulation all day and you have a flat with a small back yard.
    yYou honestly should consider a whippet or a lurcher type. A whippet x saluki is a longdog by the way, even more stupid and lazy but would still out walk you.

fionap

A sprocker a spaniel a lab all dogs that need space and stimulation all day and you have a flat with a small back yard.
    yYou honestly should consider a whippet or a lurcher type. A whippet x saluki is a longdog by the way, even more stupid and lazy but would still out walk you.

The ‘flat’ is a bit misleading, I should have said ‘house where the dog will be not allowed upstairs’ because it’s the same thing. Unless you have a dog that is allowed out in the garden all day through a dogflap or something then I don’t see how it’s particularly different…I’d be in all day for fun and games and frequent walks.

Thanks for explaining the lurcher/longdog thing – I wasn’t sure. I do know I definitely don’t want a stupid dog, although I suspect that comes from the saluki side not the whippet. What would be a good type of lurcher x for intelligence?

anagallis_arvensis

Ours has 1/8 border collie and 1/8 bearded collie. Plus 1/8 bedlington terrier. Rest is whippet and greyhound. She’s clever enough for a dog.
    Saluki’s are a very odd type of dog though, extremely aloof. Collie cross lurchers are being used more and more in agility and fly ball due to their speed.

sandboy

Hi there, don’t often post on here but I really recommend you take a look at a Bearded Collie cross Lurcher. We have had three Beardies now and the only downside is that their coats need regular grooming. A cross with a short coated hound or whippet would be in my opinion just what you are looking for.

anagallis_arvensis

The great advantage of a lurcher is that no other dog will attack it in a open space, they simply cant get close enough!

sandboy

I would love to have a Beardie Lurcher, the perfect trail dog. My wife has shown Beardies for the last 16 years and they are a wonderful dog to live with. We have taken them everywhere from campsites to Hotels. They are the most intelligent breed I have ever come across but lack that nasty streak you often find in Borders Collies. Like I said before, their coats take some work especially after a muddy wet ride!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Some great photos here.

How a dog can be so intelligent and yet utterly stupid at the same time I don’t know.

Video proof that intelligence and sheer looniness are not mutually exclusive…

[video]https://vimeo.com/126305908[/video]

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get a Jackshit (jack Russell cross shitzu)

epicyclo

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Ours has 1/8 border collie and 1/8 bearded collie…

There was a New Zealand cartoon series called Footrot Flats. I think you’d appreciate it… 🙂

Your second pic looks like the main character.

fionap

Get a Jackshit (jack Russell cross shitzu)

Great plan.

Currently thinking about either a lab x lurcher or labradoodle x norfolk terrier…any views on these? I appreciate random crossbreeds = unpredictable outcomes etc.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Goldendoddle! big stuipd lump of a dog!

imagine a real life pluto……

donncha

Tell me more about your Goldendoodle please?
    we are interested in getting one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a dog breed/cross’ is closed to new replies.