• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a digital radio for my separates system, please
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I've picked up some great hi-fi separates for my office (thanks Tootallpaul of this forum!), but am really missing the digital radio from the old micro-system I had before.

Can anybody recommend a budget-ish DAB separate to go with some low/mid range '90s gear?

BigJohn

A Tesco DAB portable connected by the earphone lead?

iamtheresurrection

I'd agree with John. With feeds averaging 128kbps, I really don't understand spending much money on a DAB – they'll all kick out abiout the same output…

michaelbowden

Cambridge Audio from Richer sounds

Bimbler
    Free Member

If all the stations you want/need from DAB are on Freeview/Freesat then maybe a Freeview box – bitrates are higher (actually not as much as I thought)

If this is to be believed

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting, didn't think about low bitrates.

How does the earphone socket lead connect to the amp inputs then?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a numpty about tech stuff.

Del

oh crikey. worms. everywhere. everywhere.
    you'll need an earphone 'Audiojizzfest 2000 to phono converter'. it'll only cost you 1400 quid, but you'll have to connect it the right way, standing on one leg, facing east, to take advantage of the earth's rotational forces on it's axis, as then you counteract the rotation of the earth around the sun. make sure you wear a tin foil breastplate too.
    HTH

joemarshall
    Free Member

Several people I know have internet radios. If you have wi-fi, they might be worth thinking of – similar signal quality to DAB, but a whole load more stations (I think they have the usual BBC ones too).

Joe

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks Del, that's really helpful.

Think I'll just see what's on eBay, separates-wise.

Cheers all.

cp

if you have an ipod or something similar, roberts make a DAB clock radio ipod/phone dock which was a 3.5mm phono out, so you can get a 10 quid cable from richer sounds or other places. Works a treat for me – my hifi is in bedroom so is handy having the clock radio/dock thing. Sounds great, I was surprised!!!

Del

Chapa, presume you didn't see any of the 'audiophreak' threads from the other week then?
    shoot me for trying to lighten the mood!
    obviously none of them would have looked, cos you used the word 'digital'.
    ah well 🙄
    wot he said ^

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Looked.

Left. 😈

Del

😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a digital radio for my separates system, please’ is closed to new replies.