Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a decent tablet.
  • chrisgibson
    Free Member

Hi all,

I fancy getting a simple tablet, nothing flash or fancy (no gaming) but mostly for browsing and reading the internet and occasionally replying to STW.

Any suggestions? I have looked at kindle fires – parents have one – but anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

rossburton
    Free Member

iPad. A refurbished Mini is only a bit more expensive than a Fire but in my experience they’re a lot more reliable. I only threw away our first-generation iPad (so five years old) as my daughter managed to fling it on a tile floor at high speed. Screen had a crack but we carried on using it for a few months anyway and eventually sold it on eBay.

If you really can’t stretch to an iPad, given the number of times my inlaws have come to me with questions about their supermarket tablet (finally ending with “chuck it in the bin” last week after about a year of light use) I’d avoid anything with a brand you don’t recognise. I hear the Tesco Hudl is reasonable, especially if you have lots of clubcard points.

fasthaggis

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Now you’re talking fasthaggis!

iainc

my post from the other week – I ended up buying the linked Lenovo 2, 8 inch one, and it seems pretty good for the cash

beej

Are you sure you want a tablet? Chromebook can do all you’ve described plus it’s got a real keyboard. Mine has pretty much replaced my tablet and laptop.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

beej I just want something that can go in a rucksack when packing but also be useful for just sitting and browsing, thought a tablet would be ideal over a chromebook but am open to suggestions!

jekkyl

buy an ipad, they’re better than any other tablet.

gonzy
    Free Member

if you’re looking for an android one it depends mainly on how much you want to spend.
    most are much cheaper than the ipads and many are as good if not better. again it depends on what features you want and what you want to use it for (sounds like new bike advice)

i bought my son a Lenovo S8-50 in September and so far its been faultless. the features are really good for the £100 i paid for it. for the budget tablet that it is its great value for money.
    its got a full HD screen and the graphics are really good. it has dolby sound, quad core intel processor, 2Gb RAM, 16Gb memory with memory card slot, 8MP camera and the graphics card and chipset manage to play Asphalt 8 seamlessly.
    your other option is the google nexus which is a great tablet but expect to pay iPad money for one

stumpy01

I got an LG GPad 8.3 about 18 months ago and it’s a great tablet.

I think the latest ones are not such a high spec, but are quite,a bit cheaper.
    I had a play with one in John Lewis a few weeks ago and it seems decent.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got a hudl and it works just fine.

buy an ipad, they’re better than any other tablet.

With maybe the exception of a decent spec Microsoft Surface. Although cost may be an issue….

vondally
    Free Member

Lenovo tablet as above decent but the battery life on mine is terrible and gets really hot… Charging is hit and miss at times will charge others nothingt sept 15 PC world say nowtt wrong….like it but just waiting for battery tocease

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well worth a look in bigger John Lewis branches if you are able to, as they have returns/refurbs which can be bargainous!

Bought Mrs CFH a shiny spangly Samsung for Christmas last year for about £150.

donks
    Free Member

Screen on my Lenovo shattered after a slight tumble from a coffee table onto a fluffy rug…. Wafer thin glass and I can’t get a replacement for less than the cost of a new device.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well happy with my Sony Z2 tablet. Waterproof, quick, slim, 128 gb sd card in it, loads of films on it plus music. Guess I could add a bigger card if I wanted to.

iainc

Glad I bought my Lenovo from John Lewis given some of the experiences. At least they have a good Customer Services reputation !

hugo
    Free Member

Couple of mitzis should sort you out.

alexpalacefan

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a decent tablet.’ is closed to new replies.