Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a decent ground coffee…
  • ncfenwick
    Free Member

Hi fellow coffee lovers,

I have started brewing my espresso’s with a stove top ‘moka’ coffee maker. Can anyone recommend me a good quality, tasty and strong ground coffee to use?

I have tried Taylors of Harrogate espresso so far but found it pretty tame. For me, the stronger, the better.

Cheers!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that those moka things wreck the coffee anyway. 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

only if the water boils DD

cobblers
    Free Member

Check out Imperial Teas of Lincoln they have a nice range of coffees the only down side is the price!!! Well tasty though and not for sharing with visitors.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

only if the water boils DD

Yeah, yeah…

djglover
    Free Member

I got my local cafe to grind some union beans for me, they were great. Whittards espresso was pretty nice too. For ones that come from the supermarket Waitrose own and Sainsburys own have been miles better than any of the illy or lavazza offerings I’ve tried.

Innes
    Free Member

Highland Coffees

I like the Costa Rica ‘Tarrazu’, but you may want a stronger one.

Innes

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Two words:

Mellow Birds

trailmonkey

*coffee/wine/beer thread*

[tannoy] pretentious asshats to the forum[/tannoy]

RichPenny
    Free Member

You first trailmonkey, I insist 😉

It’s considered good to have freshly ground beans. You may be able to find a coffee shop or a whittards near you who will do this. In salisbury we have a market stall run by an importer/roaster. He sells whole beans or will grind how you like it. Price is about £5 for 250g I think, and there are about 20 different types of bean/country to choose from, some available in dark or medium roast. You’d want dark roast for espresso. Also consider buying a cheap burr grinder so you can buy fresh beans and grind when you need to.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Did someone call?

Have a look at HasBean. Mrs Bagpuss claimed that the first one I got from their 12 month subscription was the best coffee she’d ever had.

But you must tip it into a Gold Blend jar and bin the packaging as soon as you open it, that way no one knows you’re a pretentious asshat 😉

trailmonkey

you get a pass bagpuss, i’ve seen the wheels on your vw. no one could accuse you of pretention 😉

bagpuss
    Free Member

Sorry about the hijack OP. Wheels are even shinier now, spent two days cutting and polishing the bodywork so had to look at the wheels. Will get them refurbished after the winter. Took it to France for our honeymoon, best biking accessory I’ve ever bought.

That reminds me, must find a portable [pretentious] espresso maker for the van.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Try an aeropress bagpuss.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Two more words: Gold Blend.

rewski
    Free Member

Back on topic, give Monmouth a try.

mtb2020
    Free Member
    bagpuss
    Free Member

Hi RichPenny, just had a Google, seems very simple. Are the results as good as Wiki imply?

allthepies
    Free Member

Unless the beans have passed through the intestinal tract of a civet then it ain’t work drinking IMO.

emsz
    Free Member

the regular beans from tesco are really rather good

teammongrels
    Free Member

Pre-Race/Ride/work meeting team coffee of choice is Sainsburys Hot Lava Java.
    If you don’t want to drink it you can use it as puncture sealant

Cougar

+1 for HLJ. I introduced it to the coffee machine at work, the contact centre spent the afternoon vibrating.

Coffee guru at work swears by Illy. He has a point.

MrSmith
    Free Member

hasbean, monmouth and square mile. anything from a supermarket has been mediocre and with no roasting date so usually past it’s best.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My sister has one and rates it bagpuss. She’s done barista courses and worked as one for a few years, so I’d trust her opinion. Have used it a few times and it does make nice coffee easily. Don’t get much of a crema though.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hasbean coffee subscription is really good.

However when I was lorry driving and up for work at 3am then Lavazza black was the way forward. You could wake the dead with that stuff.

iDave
    Free Member

You could wake the dead with that stuff.

You really were a lorry driver then……

globalti
    Free Member

I’ll bring some back from Tanzania in 3 weeks!

TooTall
    Free Member

bagpuss – Aeropress are all that – simple, reliable and great coffee. I’ve used one daily at work for nearly 3 years now and still going strong.

fenwick – keep your eyes open for Caffe Kimbo coffee. It is roasted in Naples and, like all Southern Italian coffee, just that bit stronger in taste. That’ll give you the robust taste you want.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I may drop a not-too-subtle hint to the family for the end of December. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

responds to tannoy…………

………..goes to check wheels on car…………

soops
    Free Member

Lavazza Rosso for me.

edhornby

I’m on lavazza oro at the moment, Father in Law who is italian and a food and wine importer uses Lavazza so must be good

mucker

Lidls, Bellarom I think, in a tin, espresso, not dried out lifeless cack, lovely almost oily in consistency, nothing comes anywhere close in my humble opinion. Cheap too.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Pretentious? Moi?

Cheers all, plenty there for me to try.

TooTall – Cafe Kimbo sounds ideal, I got my taste for espresso while in Sorrento earlier this year.

rewski
    Free Member

you tried a vodka espresso?

cliffyc
    Free Member

Lavazza espresso,very nice and lots of places sell it (often on “Special” in the Big 4)and for nice ok/all day ground Asda Everyday Dark Roast and Ground.(got a few last time on offer at £1.59/229g nice).If you are out and have a nice coffee in a bar or restaurant,ask where they get it.Enjoy the java!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a decent ground coffee…’ is closed to new replies.