• This topic has 29 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aa.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a decent Football biography read?
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

As the title says – I’ve read Vinny Jones and Gazza’s but that’s it. I fancy a new one so let me know your recommendations please 🙂

pacerc200
    Free Member
    mikey3
    Free Member

tony cascarino’s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shadowrider
    Free Member

Robbie Savage, love him or hate him it’s a good read

loum
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

Geoff Thomas’ Riding Through the Storm – covers his football, his fight against cancer and riding the Tour route, Awesome book

nickjb
    Free Member

Only one I’ve ever read (unless you count Playing the Moldovans at Tennis). Pretty interesting life story:

Managing my life- Alex Ferguson

beagle
    Free Member

Rick Holden’s has been recommended to me numerous times. Supposed to be very funny, and quite different to usual footie biographical stuff! It’s in my list.

SaxonRider
    wolfrider
    Free Member

Dave jones no smoke without fire. Is about his managerial career and how him and his family coped with him being accused of child abuse.

suffolk
    Free Member

Perry Groves’ is worth a read

wolfrider
    Free Member

Also the secret footballer book is quite interesting.

eruptron
    Free Member

Paul lake’s
    I have a read this and found it a really good read. I was part of his journey watched as a City fan when he swallowed his tongue against Leicester and at the game when he got the injury that finished his pro playing days against Aston Villa.
    An absolutely fantastic player and I have no doubt he would have captained England if he hadn’t have been so unlucky.
    This book made be laugh and cry and I think this would be a good read even if you aren’t a City fan Paul Lake comes across as the normal bloke who got what most of us wish for and play for his team shame City contributed to the poor treatment of his injury (Peter Swales has a lot to answer the tight b*stard)

Mackem

The greatest player you never saw – The Robin Friday story.

sas78

Cloughie – not read better.

theotherjonv

Robin Friday +1

nickswolves
    Free Member

Some great recommendations to check out, keep them coming please

Cletus
    Free Member

Left Foot Forward – Gary Nelson

Tales from the Boot Camps – Steve Claridge

Both lower league tales but very good.

Tont Cascarino’s is worth a read too.

grum
    Free Member

Seem to remember Robbie Fowler’s being reasonably entertaining.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I enjoyed Lee Sharpe’s “My idea of Fun”

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

Not a biography, but a true story

spacemonkey

Read Barry Fry’s biog a few years back. Full of funny stories as you can imagine.

StirlingCrispin

My Father and Other Working-Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach.
    A fascinating insight into footballing life in the days of the maximum wage – working as a joiner in the summer, players paying to represent their country in the World Cup, getting moved around the country for a pittance. One injury and their career was over. Brilliant read.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/sep/10/featuresreviews.guardianreview8

Tony cascarino’s is good too but nothing compared to the above.
    And The Damned Utd by David Peace isn’t a biography but is – and worth reading.

t_i_m
    Free Member

not a biography, but this is excellent:
    The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro

Mackem

The miracle book, entertaining but did you find it funny that an American journalist with no prior experience of football started suggesting line-ups and tactics within a season?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sir Bobby Robson

found this a very good read and had a great deal more respect for him having read it.

yossarian
    Free Member

not quite a biography but Brilliant Orange by David Winner is a bloody great read.

scousebri
    Free Member

Jimmy grieve’s book. Read it a few years ago. Funniest book i have read in a long time. Football how it should be played.

aa
    Free Member

What suffolk said.

“we all live in a perry groves world”.

Funny, nasty, honest. A really good book.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a decent Football biography read?’ is closed to new replies.