• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • recommend me a decent cost effective rear wheel,will you please.
  • westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Hi,
    My back wheel is knackered- the rim is buckled and it moves from side to side better than it moves forward. I could get it fixed, but I could also buy something second hand to rplace it…if only I knew what to buy.
    I replaced my front wheel a while ago with a mavic crossride, which has been absolutely great so far. I am quite heavy though (14 stone on a steel hardtail), and I do like to mess about doing small jumps and take my bike on some fairly rough terrain. Do you think a rear crossride would be a good buy if i could find one in decent nick, or is there something stronger I should be looking at for around the same money? I am aware that you get what you pay for, but Im kind of lost in the world of wheels to be honest.
    If anybody has any preferences let me know, but please remember Im on a very strict budget here.
    Cheers, Simon.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hope ProII on a mavic XM 317? fairly strong, not the lightest – XC717 if you need an XC wheel – fairly std – second hand should be cheap and you can re-build if they are a bit rough running?

ratherbeintobago

Is the hub shot or just the rim? Cheapest option may well be to rebuild using existing hub/spokes if hub OK.

Andy

Garry_Lager

Something like a mavic 819 on a shimano XT frm the bay would be a great value for money option. That’s a UST rim – tubeless. They seem to go for good prices at the mo – could get a good one with the rotor and tyre thrown in for sub 50 quid maybe.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well worth checking Merlin’s “custom” made wheels.

Incredibly good value and very well put together.
    Recently got one for Mrs Matt – XT hub, xc717 rim (bit light for you I reckon), decent spokes, under £95 delivered.

Worth a look:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Mountain+Bike+Wheels/Custom+Wheels+-++Disc/list.htm

A Hope Pro2 Hoop set up will be too pricey. Brilliant wheels but you are looking at £150++

foxyrider
    Free Member

I meant second hand 🙂

I wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand XT hub if you paid me!

If you don’t want to service teh hubs every 6 months then I wouldn’t get and XT if you want it to last IMHO 🙂

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

The wheel ive got just now is a mavic 717 with an xt hub, i could get the rim straightened pretty easy, but the hub definitely needs a rebuild. Being fair, i think it had been around the block before i got my hashy paws on it- it had been expertly serviced but it was by no means new. I really am not overly interested in weight here, its a steel hardtail im riding, so a fews extra grams in wheel weight wont make much difference to me- i`d rather have something bulletproof that I didnt have to rebuild every 5 minutes.
    Does anybody have an opinion on the mavic crossride, espescially regarding its hub? It would be nice to have matching wheels, but ive seen some poor reviews on this style of mavic wheel- style over substance seems to be the general view. As i said though, the front has been a great performer so far.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Surf-Mat, thanks for the link to merlins wheels, by the way, theres loads of options there right enough.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mate had mavic crossrides and only ditched them after he wore thought the braking rims – he still has them BTW 🙂 The hubs were still sweet 🙂

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Dyou know what, foxyrider, thats just about all the encouragement i need to go and buy a rear to go with my front. I think ill get a crossride rear just now, see how i get on with it, and if i break it ill go on a diet and buy something more substantial next time. Thanks for your help, lads.

foxyrider
    Free Member

The only problem he had was 2 broken spokes – flat bladed – were a bit pricey as replacement – just so you know 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

spend 5 mins learning how to ‘do’ cup and cone bearings and shimano hubs will last years.

and years.

and years.

even better, people can be a little wary of them, and they’re not fashionable, you can get them really cheap!

tony24
    Free Member

i have a wheelset you can have for £110 posted very strong wheels and they are 3 rides old.

heres a link to them http://www.elgallocomponents.com/ruedasdarkness01.html

they are them but in the polished ali finish with silver hubs and black spokes. look very smart and they are super strong.

they have cartridge bearing hubs like hope pro 2’s but the click is not as loud. email me tony18@hotmail.co.uk if your interested can send you pics etc

very cheap for a set thats meant to retail at £250.

R.lepecha
    SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Shimano hubs. Nothing gets close for value. And in the cup/cone vs cartridge bearing argument, I’ve had Shimano hubs on one bike that have needed servicing only once every 18 months. By contrast my Hope Pro2s lasted less than 6 months before the bearings died.

Rims wise something like a Mavic EN521 or XM719 will cope with your weight without blowing budget or weighing as much as a house.

tony24
    Free Member

R.lepecha – Member
    heres a link to them http://www.elgallocomponents.com/ruedasdarkness01.html

you mean these then

Yes thats them could not find the picture on there 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

My mates XT wheelset is on its way out – not been serviced for 2 years. I did it a month ago and put new bearings in but the races are on their way out and that is that with regards to the hubs !

Had old deore and that was OK, my wife’s old LX set was knackered after 6 months!

My old Hope proII on XC717 and 317 needed new bearings after 5 and 3 years receptively!

Anyhow that’s my view on XT – if you service them regularly they are fine but if you don’t like fettling then…..

dobo
    Free Member

i have some 819 on xt hubs that i could sell, they are true stiff and strong build with brassnips and comp spokes all in black
    hubs would need a service, not loose just a bit stiff, i’ve not got round to servicing them

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a decent cost effective rear wheel,will you please.’ is closed to new replies.