Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a decent chain lube……………..
  • hopefiendboy

I commute about 100 miles a week, all weather, and currently use Finishline Wet (the green capped stuff). Just replaced the chain and cassette on the bike after only about 4 months use- cassette too worn to take a new chain, though my commute takes in 3 decent hills each way (1000ft+ climbing).

Are there any better lubes out there that attract less dirt than the finishline stuff? I have the finishline dry stuff but tbh it washes off quicker than a quick thing.

Bregante

This stuff is doing well on my commuter

http://www.squirtlube.com/

I’ve also got some ofthis which is quite similar but comes in wet flavours too

http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/wet-ride.htm

5lab

how often do you clean/degrease/lube your chain? Removing grit from it regularly may do more than lubing

MartinGT
    Free Member

I use standard 3 in 1 oil none of this fandangled stuff and do similar mileage to you with no problems.

The winter has been tough here (Leeds) on the roads with lots of gritting at night.

Like whats been said, make sure you clean your chain nd lube it regular. Dont just lube over a dirty chain as youll sttract more salt, grit etc and its gonna cost you more. Check your chain more too after periods of shitty weather.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Has anyone found anywhere to buy these things in bulk? They always seem very expensive for what you get. There must be other products which are essentially the same but can be had by the litre?

carlphillips
    Free Member

if you want to try squirt then i have some for sale i have a full 120mm bottle and just over a 1/3 of a larger bottle.
    personally i think its left wanting in wet conditions and have gone back to finish line green (bought in bulk 3.8l around 4x cheaper than the 120ml price and shared between friends)
    mail me if you want to buy it from me (it’ll be cheapo).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

putoline motorcycle chainwax – the melt in the can stuff. Filthy faff to apply, lasts for ages, chains last much longer. cheap

epicyclo

With that sort of regular mileage in winter, there’s nothing to beat chain enclosure.

Very few bikes get full chaincases these days, but even if you get enough to stop the spray from the front and rear tyres getting on to the chain it will make a big difference.

Enclosure will save you a fortune in fancy lubricants – 3in1 will be good enough.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

ProLink ProGold is excellent. Apply one drop per link, leave over night, wipe and go. There is so little residue that rings and cassette stay cleaner for longer.

Oggles
    Free Member

I love Rock N Roll Extreme. Keeps the chain clean if you keep on top of lubing it. You are supposed to apply liberally and wipe it all off, which seems wasteful at first but it works well.

benman
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard, dropped you a mail about the squirt lube…

senorj

I bought some of the muc off wet lube
    and for me it’s better than the finish line stuff.
    I also like the pro link stuff,
    but only when it’s dry as i found it washed away v quickly when wet.

P7Pro

I’ve had a similar experience commuting 20 miles each day around Leeds through winter:
    Finishline Wet attracted dirt and the drivetrain lasted @ 4months.
    ProLink ProGold & RR Extreme: Applied as per the instuctions and the chain went rusty after a couple of days riding.
    I’ve just started using Juice Lubes wet this week. Cleaned mid week and ok so far, although I don’t want to clean the drivetrain on my commuter twice a week.

failedengineer

If you want a good cheap lube, mix some synthetic engine oil (I use 10/40 motorbike oil, but only because I’ve always got some handy) and paraffin until you get the required thickness. I’m convinced that’s what Finish line wet is. £10.00 for a litre of oil, couple of quid for loads of paraffin.

neninja
    Free Member

I tried Squirt and found it was less than impressive in wet or muddy conditions.

Since used Rock’n’Roll Extreme which I found was excellent although in sub-zero conditions it soldifies so it is pipped to the post by Progold Prolink.

Prolink is by far the best lube I’ve tried – keeps the chain clean, doesn’t attract dirt and somehow keeps the drive chain running smoothly in even the worst conditions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a decent chain lube……………..’ is closed to new replies.