Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a Dartmoor route please!
  • orena45

Heading up to Dartmoor on Sunday for a ride with Olly and his entourage, but only ridden Dartmoor once before (last Xmas with Crispybacon in minus 5 temps!).

Princetown seems the obvious start point as I'm coming from Cornwall and Olly's coming from Exeter, but open to other suggestions. Looking for a 2-3 hour ride.

Suggestions please! 😀

knottie8
    Free Member

this ones worth a go http://paul-knott.fotopic.net/c1760585.html I'll do a map later if you want ?

qwerty
    Free Member
    orena45

Cheers Knottie that would be good ta. I think I did some of that route with Crispybacon (we started at Princetown headed to Burrator reservoir via the "Widowmaker" (I think it's called?) and then back via the old railway line.

Got an OS map so just need some ideas! 😀

MrAgreeable

We did the route that was in STW a few months back. Pleasant enough (and the Bellever rock garden is pretty nuts) but I'm sure there is better stuff out there.

trailmonkey

there is better stuff Mr A. the route with bellever in it is definately the easy option technically. the other two routes should be enough for most riders if the op wants to give them a go.

ta for the big up qwerty 8)

orena45

I missed that STW and it doesn't seem to be in the routes section here – any route guides anywhere trailmonkey…or do we need to pay for your services! 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

Knottie – I'd love a map please.

Plus is anyone able to scan in the Dartmoor routes from STW? I wasn't in the UK I think when that copy came out.

Sorry for the hijack!

trailmonkey

east dartmoor is best. start at Yarner CP and head towards hound tor via leighon. swing round and up to bowermans nose then descend to manaton. pick up the byways at the back of the church and drop down to water. swing left and plummet down into lustleigh cleave. cross the river bovey and climb out half way up the hill until the bw swings right. take this and join the fp that drops to hisley bridge. climb back to the car. 2-3 hours techy heaven.

simon ralli are you around this weekend ?

orena45

Thanks trailmonkey, will check that route out as a possibility!

knottie8
    Free Member

email address ?

gusamc
    Free Member

op, hope you don't mind the blag
    Hi Knottie
    looks awesome, any chance of a route, as I dream about future expeditions.

Gus – email <forumname>@<notcold>mail<dot>com

thanks

orena45

Go for it dude…oh, u already have lol 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

what about the MBR killer loop – fairly techy and at least 5 hour ride 🙂

Sorry google map doesnt work at the mo: Linky

I am biased as I live in Bovey 🙂

this ones worth a go http://paul-knott.fotopic.net/c1760585.html I'll do a map later if you want ?

Knottie – that link is Exmoor isn't It – Dunkery Beacon?

delusional
    Free Member

That Killer Loop looks a little different than the one I've done Foxy. In fact it is, not substantially though. This is the variant I've ridden: http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=iwxfvddrjfgmddef

Very good it is too. Particularly the stuff in and around Lustleigh / Nutcracker. I found some of the stuff over Birch Tor a little underwhelming after the earlier stuff, but fun all the same.

knottie8
    Free Member

foxy
    the first couple of pics are but the rest are princetown . I camped out watching the sunset and rode at sunrise.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Trailmonkey

Hi – yes – am free Sunday but was going to experiment just riding out of Dartington and go south of Totnes and back again. I have limited time free this weekend as we are still on our induction and only have maybe 2 hours time to ride Sunday hence wanted to stay local and not waste time driving somewhere which would cut down the ride time. I was going to see who was free maybe next weekend or the weekend after, but this loop you have written is pretty close to me? Will check my maps tomorrow.

Si

trailmonkey

simon, my route is a half hour drive from you, as you'll soon find out, that's pretty close by Devonian measures. if you're after something out of Dartington, i can put some ideas your way if you'd like ? i can do mm maps if you have mm or i can just write some directions for you.
    as for next weekend, there's always something going on.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Trailmonkey

Trailmonkey

Cheers – I have the OS map for the area so directions should be great. I think I will do something straight out of Dartington tomorrow morning, then see who is around next weekend for a longer ride.

I found the bike shop in Totnes and have bought the Mountain Bike Dartmoor guide – it is a laminated map with various rides.

Knottie also emailled me a couple of routes so will be checking them out too, hopefully with a few of you guys too as company is always better ay?

As an aside, our college has 6 mountain bikes that we can borrow, but these are fully rigid and probably only good for smoothish, i.e. non technical bridelways. A few of my fellow students may wish to come out some time so I will looking for suitable routes for them too.

Cheers

Si

trailmonkey

simon, get your os map and work this out.

head out of dartington on cycle national cycle route2, get onto the fp heading for huxhams cross then descend(fast) round edge of the forest to cross staverton bridge. head towards littlehempston. use any of the off roady bits you fancy, i reccommend the rupp to tally ho bridge as a descent which means doubling back. go back to littlehempston and go up the hill off road to cross the newton abbot/totnes road climb up off road. at the x, turn r and head downhill to totnes ( whoosh). in town, stop for refreshments at the riverside then cross the road, go down the steps and follow the dart to pick up ncr2 back to dartington.

have fun.

Si
    Free Member

Dartmoor rocked in the dry today…

jam-bo

which but was dry? was minging over tavi way pretty much all day.

Si
    Free Member

All dry dusty hardpack awesomeness from Bovery Railway to the Hound and back via all the good stuff.

Wind was strong but just meant rain passed on through. Only really noticed it on way up to and down Smallacombe. Rest well sheltered

simonralli2
    Free Member

Trailmonkey

Thanks for that – will check it out tomorrow. We had our first trip into the woods behind the college yesterday and they're lovely.

Si

crispybacon
    Free Member

We had our first trip in the woods behind the college yesterday

bloody students – on LSD know doubt 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Dartmoor route please!’ is closed to new replies.