Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a Cornwall/Devon/Dorset break
  • pt0608
    Free Member

Got 3 days off at half term with Mrs and little one (12 months). We’d like to head south (live near Bristol)
    Anyone got any ideas? Thinking AirBnB or cottage somewhere.

Boxes to tick:
    1. Coastal walks
    2. Good riding. Road or Mtb.
    3. A good pub/brewery/restaurant nearby
    4. Good views.

Bonus point for wood burner. 😛

nicks
    Free Member

St Ives …

Great coastal walks
    Brilliant Road Loop down to Lands End then back round through penzance (70km 1100m)
    Tons of pubs
    stunning views

CountZero

There are three places listed on Airbnb near East Prawle, South Devon, priced £30/40/50, ticks most boxes, except riding, of which there isn’t much. Two good pubs, one in East Prawle, and one in Beesands, with two more a bit further away in Torcross and Slapton village.
    The Cricket in Beesands does really excellent food, and does b’n’b, but might be a bit more pricy that you’d like, last time I looked a room was £65/night.
    Outstanding walking all around there, though, I love the area, and I’ll be back down there in a couple of weeks time, but camping down near East Prawle, looking out over the open sea.
    Looking further afield, there are quite a few on Airbnb, but bike riding in that area is fairly constrained, I think, not much off-road, and on-road the lanes and even A-roads are really very narrow and winding; driving from Dartmouth to Kingsbridge, the best bet is to find a bus to get behind, because everyone else has to get out of its way!
    Otherwise, you’re constantly having to stop to give way to oncoming vehicles, because there are so many pinch-points, and that’s fairly common through Devon and Dorset.
    The last time I drove down to Charmouth, I drove for nearly nine miles behind a tractor and trailer, because there were no places for him to pull in, and no places to overtake.

jam-bo

Budget? Vellendreath at Sennen is hard to beat for location.

pt0608
    Free Member

Thanks all so far.
    Budget would be about 80-120 a night I think.

Moe

Lynton & Lynmouth

MrOvershoot

Moe – Member

Lynton & Lynmouth

good call

iffoverload
    Free Member

+1 for lynton/lynmouth , nice walk upstream to watersmeet

and down the road http://www.thehuntersinnexmoor.co.uk/

very nice costal and inland walks all around the area

Moe

Did the Deenes Doone 10 mile run up there a few years back, amazing countryside and a tough tough run! 😀

mrwhyte
    Free Member

+1 for Lynton & Lynmouth.

We always stay at a really nice little pub down the road in Brendon. The Rockford. Right on the river with great walks and plenty of opportunities to hop out on the road or mtb. They do great food and good beer too.

http://www.therockfordinn.co.uk/

hammyuk
    Free Member

Try the guys at North Hayne Farm Cottages – couple of miles from the Exmoor gate and 11 from Barnstaple.
    They often have last minute deals, every cottage has a hot tub – some log burners and loads of walks, cycling, pubs, rivers, etc.
    Within 20 of Lynton/Lynmouth/Watersmeet, etc.
    Email me if you want any more info

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Cornwall/Devon/Dorset break’ is closed to new replies.