Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a commuter rucksac
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

I have an old Deuter Bike 1 and its falling apart after 5 years of solid commutting.

Is there anything better our there? Cost not a big issue as save petrol cycling 🙂

Requirements:
    1. Holds enough (Prob about 4-5 litres) and a few external and internal pockets.
    2. Waterproof or integral rain shield.
    3. Scotchlite patches
    4. Poss a helmet retainer (not vital)
    5. Bladder compatible ( could use it as an allday bag)

Or shall I just get another Deuter Bike 1 🙂 Cheers Rich.

soobalias
    Free Member

im going with a pannier for commuting next.

hth

the 2010 hawg nv i have fits your requirements pretty well.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Funny … when I saw the title of this thread I was going to say the Deuter Bike 1, ticks all your requirements so, yes, another one of those! But mine is like the 2nd one down HERE and not the pic you have.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nunuboogie
    Free Member

Alpkit, waterproof and great value.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Alpkit, waterproof and great value

It's a dry bag, with some straps stitched on. Cheap, yes…. comfy, no (IMHO)

I wore out a Bike 1 and replaced it with another as well. There was a thread the other day covering similar ground

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bag

PiknMix
    Free Member

I have a very old Deuter Cross Bike, I love it, in fact I love it that much I replaced my 40L trekking pack with a Deuter.

I now have about 3 different Deuter packs and doubt I will buy another brand again.

+1 for another Deuter 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

@ Kojaklollipop – Thats the new version – looks nice – hmm – I think maybe another Deuter then 🙂 CHRS 🙂

scholarsgate
    Free Member

camelbak hoss ticks most of those boxes.

ElShalimo

The Alpkit Gourdon 20 is pretty comfy…. unless you're carrying rocks on your back.
    Clicky

tron
    Free Member

Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op's bags are made by Vaude, very similar, and cheaper.

Result!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

+1 for another Deuter

Twas in exactly the same situation as you a year ago, I loved that bag 😥 zip finally went. Did look into getting it replaced but bought a Superbike to replace it. I do miss the pocket configuration on the old Bike 1 though, the superbike has a larger internal and only one external which is higher up.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I forgot AA – looked back at my last post – Good info about the Superbike – was just looking at that 🙂

el_creedo
    Free Member

Dakine Heli packs (in their various sizes) are awesome.

Mine (A Heli Pro 2 – the biggest, i think) is 8 years old, used for daily commuting since the day i bought it, also been on serious snowboard missions, big day hikes, and on proper MTB rides. I ram it full of stuff frequently – the kind of over-packing that in the past has knackered zips, torn seams etc. on respectable brands, and yet there is still not a stitch out of place on it.

It is bladder ready, comfy, amazing build quality, looks good, and will last you a lifetime

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm like this one 🙂

Deuter Trans Alpine 26 SL Backpack – it has a large volume but is compressable 🙂

Del

don't understand why so many companies use zips on the main compartment when they can be such a weak point?
    a draw-cord top with a flap over is a much better system. bah, and indeed, humbug.

jonb
    Free Member

I commute with the alpkit Gourdon and rate it. Used it over long distances too. Otherwise something by orleib?

DrP

I use (daily) a berghaus freeflow 25+5.
    It's got the 'air back' thing so less of a sweaty back, and it has draw-string top for chucking stuff in and out with ease!

Can pack up pretty big, but as it's a 'flap top' you can pull the lid down to make it a bit smaller……

DrP

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got a TISO airflow one which is essentially a copy of a berghaus model, wasnt expensive and also have a bright orange reflective raincover that tucks in the bottom!

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I've commuted with a Deuter Cross City for the past few years – it's been excellent, truly cavernous and has been bombproof thus far.

Not the lightest of bags but I've put that down to the laptop padding.

Interestingly, I also recently bought a fairly large Wingnut backpack, which is loads – like, ridiculously – better to ride with.
    Don't like commuting with it though due to the lack of internal organisation.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've the 25l version of that berghaus one, great design, but a rubbish bag as the freeflow bit takes up all the room and still leaves you sweaty where it contacts your bag. I can fit almost as much in my lezyne smart pack.

+1 For panniers and a rack if you cn fit them, makes a huge difference being able to ride without a pack, especialy on a cold morning when you want to set off wearing evey layer you own and strip them off one at a time as you warm up.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers guys I bought the Deuter Trans Alpine 26 SL Backpack. I can't use panniers as I use a road (race) bike or HT MTB without mounts. Sorry My volume requirements were way off – Didn't know the Bike 1 is actually 22 lites 😉

1. As it was sl bigger than the Bike 1 but you can compress it using the straps.
    2. Airflow is great on the Deuters.
    3. Quite light
    4. My last one lasted for 5 years but I have ripped it (biking off road) but zips etc are still going good 🙂

Thanks for the recommendations though 🙂 Nearly went for the Camelback and the

Also like the "MOss" colour as well 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuter rucksac’ is closed to new replies.